BBC Radio 1

(31-07-2023, 10:59 PM)Nobby Wrote:  It kind of sums up music radio that a presenter gets in trouble for having an opinion on music.

Is the issue that she didn't like the song, or is it more that she belittled the presenter 'I expected better of you' and had very clearly had a few lemonades too many for 5:30pm.

But the biggest question has got to be for whichever production member let her near the microphone in the first place.
[-] The following 3 users Like Ash101's post:
  • Brekkie, Jeff, what

I feel like it wasn’t too bad - unprofessional for sure - but I’m pretty sure it could’ve gone a lot smoother if it was just laughed off. The cutoff seems a bit abrupt and stern, and I think it only looks as serious as it does because of that.
[-] The following 4 users Like orange's post:
  • AndrewP, benzj, Jeff, LargelyALurker

(31-07-2023, 10:59 PM)Nobby Wrote:  It kind of sums up music radio that a presenter gets in trouble for having an opinion on music.
I'm not sure that was the main problem, think it was just when the penny dropped that she shouldn't have been on air at all
[-] The following 2 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • Brekkie, what

(01-08-2023, 12:04 AM)VMPhil Wrote:  Arielle is clearly sloshed and shouldn't have been put on air, but I'm pretty sure it didn't need to be announced on air "I'm turning your mic off" - just turn her mic off and introduce the next record and it saves embarrasment for everyone involved.

Totally agree that it’s made much worse by Hedges’s reaction – that drew attention to things and signalled to the listener that things weren’t okay. I think that laughing it off and ending the link quickly would have been better, though that’s hindsight and I also don’t know if there’s any history there. 

Radio 1 presenters diss the music more often than you think, certainly about the frequency some songs are played. It’s certainly not the unwavering support of most commercial stations. That wasn’t the issue here anyway.
[-] The following 4 users Like Joe's post:
  • AndrewP, orange, Spencer, VMPhil

(01-08-2023, 12:22 AM)Ash101 Wrote:  Is the issue that she didn't like the song, or is it more that she belittled the presenter 'I expected better of you' and had very clearly had a few lemonades too many for 5:30pm.

But the biggest question has got to be for whichever production member let her near the microphone in the first place.

Maybe there’s something cultural too - ‘I expected better of you’ sounds just like a bit of banter to me (a fellow Scot).
[-] The following 2 users Like LargelyALurker's post:
  • Brekkie, orange

I'm sure that is what it was intended as but not necessarily received as.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • benzj, LargelyALurker

I think the criticism should really be directed at who allowed her to go on air in that state. The comment was totally valid (you’re allowed to criticise music on a music station) but she was obviously in no state to be broadcasting.
[-] The following 3 users Like TVViewer256's post:
  • Brekkie, Jeff, LargelyALurker

(01-08-2023, 09:20 AM)TVViewer256 Wrote:  I think the criticism should really be directed at who allowed her to go on air in that state. The comment was totally valid (you’re allowed to criticise music on a music station) but she was obviously in no state to be broadcasting.

I don't think anyone is pointing the blame entirely at one person. As I said, she clearly shouldn't have been put on air in the first place, but I just felt the DJ could have handled it more discreetly.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 3 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • AndrewP, Frances, orange

(01-08-2023, 08:26 AM)LargelyALurker Wrote:  Maybe there’s something cultural too - ‘I expected better of you’ sounds just like a bit of banter to me (a fellow Scot).

That’s also what I was getting from it - her vibe seemed playful to me at least.

(01-08-2023, 09:55 AM)VMPhil Wrote:  I don't think anyone is pointing the blame entirely at one person. As I said, she clearly shouldn't have been put on air in the first place, but I just felt the DJ could have handled it more discreetly.
Oh I completely agree with that.