Programme/Movie Openers and Endboards

Did anyone else notice LWT made promo at the start of that clip?  Odd thing YTV took Channel 3 branding which come in early September 96 however the Ident wasn't changed until late October..

It would seem YTV dropped "Channel 3" before TT did aswell in March 98.

From memory during 1998 prior to the ITV Network Promotions Unit being a thing, it wasn’t uncommon for those of us in the Granada regions to see those type of promos from LWT. Granada at a local level adopted the same style for a bit, even swapping the ITV logo in a grey box for a Granada logo in a grey box.

Don’t forget Yorkshire had their own in house graphics team, which would probably explain why Yorkshire had the C3 idents removed before Tyne Tees. I believe their in house team became Balistixx after a while. They were responsible for the 1999 GMG North Christmas package, as well as the last set of regional idents for Yorkshire and Tyne Tees.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nwtv2003's post:
  • harshy

(19-11-2022, 08:24 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  Did anyone else notice LWT made promo at the start of that clip?  Odd thing YTV took Channel 3 branding come in early September however the Ident wasn't changed until late October..

It would seem YTV dropped "Channel 3" before TT aswell in March 98.

That annoyed me at the time that LWT produced trailers had those fancy graphics start and end as originally YTV adopted it too then they dropped it, only keeping the itv logo on the right but ending with the simple programme caption.

Moving away from the modern regional times, this is a more glamorous version of the Granada "from the North" arrow, back in 1964:
youtu.be 

Watch this space...
WestKnightTV - on DeviantArt
[-] The following 1 user Likes W. Knight's post:
  • Spencer

(14-11-2022, 12:25 PM)Michael Kenchington Wrote:  
(14-11-2022, 10:04 AM)Former Member 443 Wrote:  Whatever took two months to sort out with the Tyne Tees "rebrand", I'm not sure that ident will have taken that long!

Probably most of it was just waiting for the letterheaded paper to be printed...
So i take it Yorkshire ditched the Channel 3 branding on 26th January 1998, which was two months before Tyne Tees was reinstated on 9th March of that same year? Am i right?

Somewhere, I have an article that was printed in a Central/Carlton staff newsheet - it reported that both Yorkshire and Tyne-Tees had been told by the ITC or OfCom (whoever oversaw ITV back then - brain fog!) told both companies they couldn't use the "Channel 3", as each of the licences were made out to "Yorkshire Television" and "Tyne Tees Television" and the on screen brands had to reflect this.
In 1999 - in the Midlands, the Central 'cake' was dropped in favour of the Carlton branding style - but the Central name had to remain on screen for the remainder of the licence period, accompanied by Carlton Captions in smaller text.

(15-12-2022, 05:04 PM)sparky_75 Wrote:  
(14-11-2022, 12:25 PM)Michael Kenchington Wrote:  So i take it Yorkshire ditched the Channel 3 branding on 26th January 1998, which was two months before Tyne Tees was reinstated on 9th March of that same year? Am i right?

Somewhere, I have an article that was printed in a Central/Carlton staff newsheet - it reported that both Yorkshire and Tyne-Tees had been told by the ITC or OfCom (whoever oversaw ITV back then - brain fog!) told both companies they couldn't use the "Channel 3", as each of the licences were made out to "Yorkshire Television" and "Tyne Tees Television" and the on screen brands had to reflect this.
In 1999 - in the Midlands, the Central 'cake' was dropped in favour of the Carlton branding style - but the Central name had to remain on screen for the remainder of the licence period, accompanied by Carlton Captions in smaller text.

It does still boggle the mind that Carlton chose to rename all of its franchises in 1999, rather than just have Central and Westcountry have their own Heart Star Idents. And it would have been the ITC in '98/99. Ofcom only formed in 2003, when ITC merged with the Radio Authority, Oftel, Broadcasting Standards Commission, and Radiocommunications agency. Kind of a mini U-Turn on the dismantling of the IBA (Minus the Engineering side).

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]

(15-12-2022, 06:40 PM)Blubatt Wrote:  
(15-12-2022, 05:04 PM)sparky_75 Wrote:  Somewhere, I have an article that was printed in a Central/Carlton staff newsheet - it reported that both Yorkshire and Tyne-Tees had been told by the ITC or OfCom (whoever oversaw ITV back then - brain fog!) told both companies they couldn't use the "Channel 3", as each of the licences were made out to "Yorkshire Television" and "Tyne Tees Television" and the on screen brands had to reflect this.

It does still boggle the mind that Carlton chose to rename all of its franchises in 1999, rather than just have Central and Westcountry have their own Heart Star Idents. And it would have been the ITC in '98/99. Ofcom only formed in 2003, when ITC merged with the Radio Authority, Oftel, Broadcasting Standards Commission, and Radiocommunications agency. Kind of a mini U-Turn on the dismantling of the IBA (Minus the Engineering side).

Sometime around 2000/1 - the Central name had been dropped from their pres. The on screen idents - and building signs had been replaced by Carlton branding.
In announcements prior to the local news - the announcement would include "Carlton for Central England" - which later became "ITV for Central England" etc.

Had the licence been made out to Carlton - I am sure the Central brand would have vanished much earlier.
But they had to sit out the remainder of the licence under Central.
I never understood why they chose to drop the local brands - however - Carlton did always want a Single ITV network.

Hey everyone, i've found this clip of the early version of the 1986 MGM logo which is taken from Where The River Runs Black on YouTube, here it is: www.youtube.com 

So what are the differences between the early and final versions of the 1986 Metro Goldwyn Mayer logo?

Carlton only having one major name meant they could use the same idents in all three regions, rather than having to create new versions for each region. Carlton Central in that regard (for example) was ever used as a voice over probably into the local news. The rest of the time it was just Carlton. Indeed when they inherited the broadcast side of HTV, the end result was hybrid of the two main looks in at the time.

But of course the Carlton idents themselves were brilliant, not that that itself would make up for the loss of the regional name, but it looked pretty if nothing else.
[-] The following 2 users Like Neil Jones's post:
  • sparky_75, Stuart

(15-12-2022, 07:08 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Carlton only having one major name meant they could use the same idents in all three regions, rather than having to create new versions for each region. Carlton Central in that regard (for example) was ever used as a voice over probably into the local news.  The rest of the time it was just Carlton.  Indeed when they inherited the broadcast side of HTV, the end result was hybrid of the two main looks in at the time.

But of course the Carlton idents themselves were brilliant, not that that itself would make up for the loss of the regional name, but it looked pretty if nothing else.

I personally wasn't a fan of the Carlton Idents at the time. Looking back - they aren't that bad.

Central's brand alone evolved - and was designed to be able to move with the times - and did every so often.
It was very versatile.