BBC Radio 2 and 6 Music are to leave Wogan House

Not sure if it was this morning or yesterday but Zoe Ball mentioned doing training in the new studio at NBH later in the day ahead of their last programme in Wogan House either today or tomorrow.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dvboy's post:
  • UTVLifer

This feels like a repeat of the great feeling when WS moved out of Bush House.

Never knew the BBC didn't own the building. Were they always leasing it or was it a leaseback?
This must save them a few £m a year

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...

(08-02-2024, 07:42 PM)Former Member 237 Wrote:  In terms of the another tribute? I guess it depends if TW ever broadcast from somewhere in the remaining buildings?

He certainly broadcast from 'Old' Broadcasting House, although I wasn't necessarily thinking of naming another whole building after him.

(08-02-2024, 09:58 PM)AndrewP Wrote:  This feels like a repeat of the great feeling when WS moved out of Bush House.

Never knew the BBC didn't own the building. Were they always leasing it or was it a leaseback?
I think it's always been leased. It's a pretty standard office building that just so happened to be near BH so handy for them to expand into. As mentioned they occupied nearby Henry Wood House and also nearby buildings like Brock House and Yalding House.

As discussed in the Elstree thread they rent some premises, lease others, some they own the land and lease or own the building. There's only a couple where they own both land and buildings

Bush House was another they leased, it went back to the owners when it was vacated. I think 35 Marylebone High Street they owned, but the whole area is owned by one of the big London estate owners so didn't own the land it was on

(08-02-2024, 07:42 PM)Former Member 237 Wrote:  In terms of the another tribute? I guess it depends if TW ever broadcast from somewhere in the remaining buildings?
I can't remember where I saw it but I think the replacement studios are numbered starting WG.

Always thought that it was a good renaming, the previous name was Western House so the BBC didn't have to change its initials.

The building also has some self operated down the line contribution/interview studios, used by local stations to interview guests and reporters in London. I don't know if or where they're being relocated
[-] The following 3 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, interestednovice

Of course it was known as Western House before Wogan the home of the BBC Engineering Designs department for 40 years
www.bbceng.info 

Its first Head was HB Rantzen (Esthers father)
[-] The following 3 users Like Technologist's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, interestednovice

(09-02-2024, 09:02 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  I think it's always been leased. It's a pretty standard office building that just so happened to be near BH so handy for them to expand into. As mentioned they occupied nearby Henry Wood House and also nearby buildings like Brock House and Yalding House.

As discussed in the Elstree thread they rent some premises, lease others, some they own the land and lease or own the building. There's only a couple where they own both land and buildings

Bush House was another they leased, it went back to the owners when it was vacated. I think 35 Marylebone High Street they owned, but the whole area is owned by one of the big London estate owners so didn't own the land it was on

I can't remember where I saw it but I think the replacement studios are numbered starting WG.

In the end they just carried on the numbering I believe of the existing studios in the area. Although maybe they will change it etc once everything is settled down. 82 etc etc etc. I don’t think it would be practical for them to be named separately from everywhere else.

I noticed someone has updated the LBH wiki page to include these new studios.
[-] The following 2 users Like Former Member 237's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice

(09-02-2024, 10:56 AM)Former Member 237 Wrote:  In the end they just carried on the numbering I believe of the existing studios in the area. Although maybe they will change it etc once everything is settled down. 82 etc etc etc. I don’t think it would be practical for them to be named separately from everywhere else.

I noticed someone has updated the LBH wiki page to include these new studios.

The new news studio is WG1, but that isn't a new name - it's been used by the central news service for several years under that name. The others are 82K, L, M & N

Find me on Twitter: @alfiejmulcahy
[-] The following 3 users Like alfiejmulcahy's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice, Stooky Bill

(09-02-2024, 11:50 AM)alfiejmulcahy Wrote:  The new news studio is WG1, but that isn't a new name - it's been used by the central news service for several years under that name. The others are 82K, L, M & N

Is this based in London? As in radio news?

Edit: so it is. I had never heard of this studio before!

twitter.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like Former Member 237's post:
  • AndrewP, interestednovice, UTVLifer

6 Music stalwart Gideon Coe is currently presenting the last live show on that network from WH.

www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 4 users Like thegeek's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, interestednovice, UTVLifer

Would be a nice nod to Terry if the named one of the new studios 82Wogan, like they did when Scott Mills left Radio 1
[-] The following 4 users Like J102B's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, interestednovice, UTVLifer