BBC Radio 2 and 6 Music are to leave Wogan House

Could this be the last live Radio 2 show from Wogan House?
twitter.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • chrisherald

(11-02-2024, 01:29 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Could this be the last live Radio 2 show from Wogan House?
twitter.com 

No Zoe ball said on Friday that honour goes to Paul Gambaccini, which I think is next Sunday as Jeremy vine does not move until Thursday.
[-] The following 5 users Like South's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, interestednovice, Steve in Pudsey, UTVLifer

from behind the mic...
twitter.com 

There are also a few pics of some empty offices in the thread - plus the show I linked to earlier has a little tribute in the final five minutes.

Much earlier in my career I used my BBC pass to sneak in there on a day off to watch a band do a session in the kitchen - I can't for the life of me remember who it was. WH was a lot easier to get into than Yalding, who had a very locked down access list on the front door (which made it quite tricky to get in even if you had a legitimate reason to be there!)
[-] The following 3 users Like thegeek's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, UTVLifer

Melvin was running around the studios on the 8th floor for their game today. Gives you little look but not much. Mary show on 6Music was from Studio 82B which is in the radio 1 block I believe. So still sharing studio and not fully moved in to there new ones.
[-] The following 1 user Likes CATV's post:
  • Toby brown

(12-02-2024, 05:12 PM)CATV Wrote:  Melvin was running around the studios on the 8th floor for their game today. Gives you little look but not much. Mary show on 6Music was from Studio 82B which is in the radio 1 block I believe. So still sharing studio and not fully moved in to there new ones.
Unless the plan is for the music networks to share a pool of studios? There's no technical reason why the same studio couldn't be used by more than one station

With so much of 6 coming from Salford it doesn't justify having its own set of studios any more

(12-02-2024, 07:42 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Unless the plan is for the music networks to share a pool of studios? There's no technical reason why the same studio couldn't be used by more than one station

With so much of 6 coming from Salford it doesn't justify having its own set of studios any more

There is a technical reason. Each station has its own set of producers and procedures. In order for things to flow smoothly, the radio brands have separate studios in order for the next presenter to take control of the network.

You couldn’t expect Sara Cox on Radio 2 to rush the ending of her show in order to allow for DJ Target to switch everything over to 1Xtra.

There are two sides to the 8th Floor. The first four studios are for Radio 1, 1Xtra and Asian Network, as well as a spare studio. The Live Lounge side also has four studios which are exclusive to Radio 1.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DeMarkay's post:
  • UTVLifer

I suspect there will be some sharing, not necessarily of the main on-air studios for each network, but you could certainly see studios used for pre-recording could be multi user.

The studios at Wogan House were different from the Radio 1 studios in that they are based on the "maxicon" concept, where the DJ can be totally self-op, they can cover up the faders and have it totally driven from "behind the glass" and something in between where the DJ is partially controlling things so they have some spontaneity but the Studio Manager is doing the final mix and maybe handling more complex stuff.
[-] The following 4 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • AndrewP, DeMarkay, Stooky Bill, UTVLifer

How would Radio 1 have ever needed five studios? Three would mean no hot seating. Two additional spares for a station that presumably has minimal pre-records seems generous.

Quite a bit of the overnight schedule is pre-records, and they make a number of podcasts. I assume Radio 1 Dance takes up some studio time too.

They had 4 studios at Yalding, before 1Xtra, Dance, Relax etc were introduced.

Tony Blackburn says goodbye to Wogan House

www.instagram.com ==

(12-02-2024, 09:44 PM)DeMarkay Wrote:  There is a technical reason. Each station has its own set of producers and procedures. In order for things to flow smoothly, the radio brands have separate studios in order for the next presenter to take control of the network.

You couldn’t expect Sara Cox on Radio 2 to rush the ending of her show in order to allow for DJ Target to switch everything over to 1Xtra.
Yes obviously I didn't mean hot seating between networks. Studios can be shared without being shared back to back. And of course increasingly the presenter they're handing over to isn't even on the same city, it's going to be even more inefficient not to share

There are other studios in BH which are general purpose and not station specific, producers and procedures are irrelevant to studio, as long as the one they are scheduled in is suitable and they're familiar with it.

The BBC radio networks all run the same playout system, makes it very flexible in terms of which studio to use.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • interestednovice, Spencer