Global radio brands

The tagline "number one hit music station" is used widely in the USA, and when Global initially relaunched Capital after purchasing GCap Media, they modelled a lot of the new sound on stations like Z100 and KIIS FM.

So it's just a tagline used by CHR stations around the world, and make them sound "big".

The only reason they're discarding BBC Radio 1 on that /no1/ page is because they have to be able to justify the "number 1" claim when it's used in TV advertising. So they're starting with the tagline they want to use and working backwards from there.

What is or isn't a "hit music station" is entirely down to opinion and your viewpoint, and this is Global's, for them to be able to use that line in ads. I believe in some of the earlier ads they actually left out the "no.1" part and just used "The UK's Hit Music Station", to avoid having to do this at all.
[-] The following 2 users Like gav's post:
  • chaose, Josh

I like the new logos, felt like Capital’s logo needed a change after a few years.
(02-11-2022, 06:44 PM)Josh Wrote:  Also worth pointing out Capital have adopted KIIS FM (Los Angeles)'s jingles recently, with a custom package coming before the end of the year according to RadioToday:
soundcloud.com 
I thought the current jingles were originally made for Capital? Huh.

(03-11-2022, 02:36 PM)JoshieTrue Wrote:  I like the new logos, felt like Capital’s logo needed a change after a few years.
(02-11-2022, 06:44 PM)Josh Wrote:  Also worth pointing out Capital have adopted KIIS FM (Los Angeles)'s jingles recently, with a custom package coming before the end of the year according to RadioToday:
soundcloud.com 
I thought the current jingles were originally made for Capital? Huh.

The jingle package is indeed a re-sing of the KIIS FM (Los Angeles) package.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DeMarkay's post:
  • Rijowhi

That "UK's official dance station" tagline is crying out for a [citation needed] tag
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Josh

(05-11-2022, 11:26 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  That "UK's official dance station" tagline is crying out for a [citation needed] tag

BBC Radio 1 Dance launched a week before Capital Dance did, ironically. BBC Radio 1 Dance only launched a week after Capital Dance (and was probably in consideration for a lot longer due to consultations).

This implies the existence of unofficial dance stations, surely?

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.

(05-11-2022, 11:15 PM)Josh Wrote:  
(05-11-2022, 11:26 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  That "UK's official dance station" tagline is crying out for a [citation needed] tag

BBC Radio 1 Dance launched a week before Capital Dance did, ironically.

This implies the existence of unofficial dance stations, surely?

No, it didn’t. BBC Radio 1 Dance launched a week after Capital Dance. 

Capital Dance broadcasts nationally, transmitted on Digital One in the DAB+ format, and online.

BBC Radio 1 Dance is only available on BBC Sounds.

Capital Dance - 1st October 2020
BBC Radio 1 Dance - 9th October 2020
[-] The following 1 user Likes DeMarkay's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

I like both dance stations but isn’t BBC Radio 1 Dance just a repeat of dance music shows that have already been broadcast on the main station though? Capital Dance is a proper live radio station with actual DJ’s for the majority of the time. The Capital logos really annoy me, the perspective is all off and the capital ‘D’ of dance really annoys me as it’s bigger than the rest of the word.

And now it's Smooth's turn, dropping the holding shape and bezels:
[Image: 3917984_Smooth_Logo_Colour_02_560x315.png]

Watch this space...
WestKnightTV - on DeviantArt

Amazing to think Heart has kept more or less the same logo for nearly 20 years, pre-Global from when it was just two (and then three) big stations in London and Midlands rather than a national brand.

(27-01-2023, 08:13 PM)Jon Wrote:  Amazing to think Heart has kept more or less the same logo for nearly 20 years, pre-Global from when it was just two (and then three) big stations in London and Midlands rather than a national brand.

To be honest, the Heart logo still looks reasonably fresh even to this day. They may tweak it slightly, my guess is they may do a big overhaul of Gold next seen as it feels like a bit of a forgotten brand in their portfolio, possibly even LBC too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mrarg1393's post:
  • DeMarkay