Irish TV News Discussion 2.0

(08-11-2022, 12:02 PM)Teilifís Wrote:  
(08-11-2022, 10:35 AM)Rdd Wrote:  That is what they air in that time slot, yes. To be fair to them, that is one time slot, and a time that not many are watching tv. Those that are have Ireland AM and BBC Breakfast.  They won’t run news at breakfast time because they are mad scared of canibalising Morning Ireland. They tried a wierd “late breakfast” format a few years back (it aired between 9-11am) and it didn’t really work.

Also they do show parliamentary coverage (Leaders Questions, basically our PMQs) in the morning when the Dail is in session.

It's a real catch 22 situation. As a whole, Irish people love the radio. Hence why the schedule on radio is at its strongest on both national and local radio during the morning and mid mornings. I genuinly think the best offering they could do would be a visualised Morning Ireland on RTÉ One instead of only on the news channel. As mentioned above, the other two hours could be used for the other filler programmes if they so wish (again...why the hell is Ellen still on...?_ but 12pm is usually for Leaders Questions on Tuesdays & Wednesday anyway.

I believe (but also open to correction) there is also a union issue at RTÉ television preventing an on air show before 9am. Must find a source for that, but I recall it being said around the time Morning Edition was launched...
A 'live' offering at breakfast feels more appropriate. And that's where "radiovision" for Morning Ireland might work well for them. I do wish they'd ditch that pointless news channel and reinvest in the main channels - even if that just meant making radio output more TV-friendly.

That feels like a better use of limited cash for quiet spots in the TV schedule.

And as mentioned, there's the duplication of kids programming on RTÉ 2 and RTÉ Jr during daytime. Though only just noticed that RTÉ 2 now starts its day at 8am rather than 7am-ish.

Didn't RTÉ try to get govt permission to ditch the kids schedule on RTÉ 2 - and it was refused (oddly)?

I do recall the union opposition to breakfast TV - but that dated back to the 90s and 00s, didn't it?

As already mentioned, RTÉ doesn't really want to do anything on TV that would damage its radio share at that time of day. Radiovision seems like a decent compromise.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Clean Feed's post:
  • AJB39

(08-11-2022, 12:02 PM)cando Wrote:  Why would they waste valuable resources on a dead slot? Some of you guys need to live in the real world.

I think it’s more that the current arrangements seem to be the worst of all worlds. Instead of putting either something decent on or nothing at all, they persist with naff repeats (RTE One) and simulcasts of their kids’ channel (RTE 2). I don’t see what would be so bad about televising Morning Ireland. It’s not as if it would take listeners away from radio, and they have the capacity to do it already. Seems a no brainer to me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kojak's post:
  • AJB39

Why did RTE abandon news on RTE 2?

RTE 2 always seemed from my reading to offer an alternative to the usually very dull, boring and tedious presentation on RTE 1.

Going back to the launch of RTE 2 in 1978, they had a late night news show called Newsnight, a fast paced, 20 minute late night news digest around 11pm, they could easily bring that back along with shorter updates in the evening.

Yes, I think the RTE News Channel needs to close down, as it is simply just simulcasting RTE 1 news programmes or content from RTE Radio 1 and RTE 1 current affairs - what a waste of time and money.
[-] The following 2 users Like JMT1985's post:
  • bkman1990, Superman1986

(08-11-2022, 08:38 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Why did RTE abandon news on RTE 2? 

RTE 2 always seemed from my reading to offer an alternative to the usually very dull, boring and tedious presentation on RTE 1.

Going back to the launch of RTE 2 in 1978, they had a late night news show called Newsnight, a fast paced, 20 minute late night news digest around 11pm, they could easily bring that back along with shorter updates in the evening.

Yes, I think the RTE News Channel needs to close down, as it is simply just simulcasting RTE 1 news programmes or content from RTE Radio 1 and RTE 1 current affairs - what a waste of time and money.

The demographic that RTÉ 2 was aimed at (mainly younger) was no longer a good fit for the RTÉ One-style news programmes. The later BBC Three 60 Second-style bulletins were presumably a casualty of more cost-cutting and that target audience had probably mostly gone online for their news by that stage anyway.

RTÉ 2's Newsnight was hardly what you'd call "fast-paced". Presentation and content-wise, it was a very close relative to the news output on RTÉ One at the time. And certainly not appropriate for a modern RTÉ 2 audience.
[-] The following 2 users Like Clean Feed's post:
  • bkman1990, Superman1986

The only time they ever did a news show like that was probably News 2 between 1997-2003. Even then it was more cosmetic changes, the actual news was much the same.

Certainly Network News in the early 1990s and RTE News on 2 in the 2000s were basically carbon copies of the RTE One bulletins of the time.
[-] The following 3 users Like Rdd's post:
  • bkman1990, DE88, Superman1986

(08-11-2022, 08:37 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(08-11-2022, 12:02 PM)cando Wrote:  Why would they waste valuable resources on a dead slot? Some of you guys need to live in the real world.

I think it’s more that the current arrangements seem to be the worst of all worlds. Instead of putting either something decent on or nothing at all, they persist with naff repeats (RTE One) and simulcasts of their kids’ channel (RTE 2). I don’t see what would be so bad about televising Morning Ireland. It’s not as if it would take listeners away from radio, and they have the capacity to do it already. Seems a no brainer to me.
The situation with RTE2 and its kids programming is actually a bit more nonsensical than that, as RTEjr's RTE2 airtime isn't a simulcast at all -- that channel appears to run a separate schedule entirely, even when programming for RTEjr's demographic is being broadcast on RTE2.

Exploring the world of television on YouTube  |  benzj.tk
[-] The following 1 user Likes benzj's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

(08-11-2022, 10:08 PM)Clean Feed Wrote:  
(08-11-2022, 08:38 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Why did RTE abandon news on RTE 2? 

The demographic that RTÉ 2 was aimed at (mainly younger) was no longer a good fit for the RTÉ One-style news programmes. The later BBC Three 60 Second-style bulletins were presumably a casualty of more cost-cutting and that target audience had probably mostly gone online for their news by that stage anyway.

RTÉ 2's Newsnight was hardly what you'd call "fast-paced". Presentation and content-wise, it was a very close relative to the news output on RTÉ One at the time. And certainly not appropriate for a modern RTÉ 2 audience.

To be fair Newsnight wasn't fast-paced but it was a proper format that offered something different to the RTE 1 Bulletins. Its focus was on International News which wouldn't get into the RTE 1 9 O Clock News. It was actually quite the loss when Network 2 launched. Network News was basically a repeat of the RTE 1 9 pm Bulletin.

I should have rephrased my comment - yes, of course Newsnight was not as fast paced as modern news bulletins, but from watching it, I noticed they did put a lot more news stories into one short bulletin.

So, I should have said it had a lot more news content than the average bulletin on RTE 1.

Network News from the videos I have seen was simply the Nine O'Clock News with updates in a shorter form.

Now I have been told that the commercial channel Virgin Media One has a show called The Tonight Show, and I first thought this was a nightly talk show, but apparently it is a news show. Could RTE 2 not try something similar but with a little more edge?

(11-11-2022, 12:37 AM)JMT1985 Wrote:  I should have rephrased my comment - yes, of course Newsnight was not as fast paced as modern news bulletins, but from watching it, I noticed they did put a lot more news stories into one short bulletin.

So, I should have said it had a lot more news content than the average bulletin on RTE 1.

Network News from the videos I have seen was simply the Nine O'Clock News with updates in a shorter form.

Now I have been told that the commercial channel Virgin Media One has a show called The Tonight Show, and I first thought this was a nightly talk show, but apparently it is a news show.  Could RTE 2 not try something similar but with a little more edge?
I'd say RTE has got the right balance now.

For international news coverage, they are competing with big players such as the BBC and Sky - and most homes can also receive ITV.

For home news, there's ample coverage across RTE One, the website and on RTE Radio. And there's Virgin Media TV.

As I said before, RTE 2 has quite a young demographic. That audience generally gets their news online. With limited funding available, RTE needs to spend wisely. A news service on RTE 2 doesn't feel like a sensible spend in 2022.

Does anyone know when Catriona Perry is due to come back on the Six-One News?