Irish TV News Discussion 2.0

(11-11-2022, 12:37 AM)JMT1985 Wrote:  I should have rephrased my comment - yes, of course Newsnight was not as fast paced as modern news bulletins, but from watching it, I noticed they did put a lot more news stories into one short bulletin.

So, I should have said it had a lot more news content than the average bulletin on RTE 1.

Network News from the videos I have seen was simply the Nine O'Clock News with updates in a shorter form.

Now I have been told that the commercial channel Virgin Media One has a show called The Tonight Show, and I first thought this was a nightly talk show, but apparently it is a news show.  Could RTE 2 not try something similar but with a little more edge?

It’s a “talking heads” current affairs programme rather than a hard news slot. There is a news bit at the beginning alright but it’s only a few minutes.

Katie Hannon taking over the Monday night current affairs slot on RTE One. According to RTE’s blurb this isn’t just a programme, it’s a strand! Hmm…

www.rte.ie 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rdd's post:
  • Clean Feed

(16-11-2022, 11:24 PM)Rdd Wrote:  Katie Hannon taking over the Monday night current affairs slot on RTE One. According to RTE’s blurb this isn’t just a programme, it’s a strand! Hmm…

www.rte.ie 

You're going to get a lot more of this strand stuff to justify the licence fee, RTE's viewing figures appear to have dropped off a cliff this year. They had a boost in 2020 when no one could go out, but since 2021, week after week the figures seem to get worse and worse. Talking to media friends it appears far fewer are watching the station outside of News and Sport. I'd be very interested to see what viewing figures are like if you stripped away Saorview-only houses and the over 60's.

Looking at Live Data for Adults for last week, The Late Late failed to get past 298,000, If you went back 3 years, that figure would have been around the 400,000 mark on a bad night. It's the same for the rest of the shows. Not one RTE 2 show broke 100,000.

Obviously, people consume Television in different ways now and I'm sure some people watch it on RTE player or clips on Social Media. But I don't think RTE really has the nation's pulse anymore. They don't seem to be connecting with most people under the age of 55.

This was always going to happen with RTE - they have been far too complacent. Thinking viewers will come to them. RTE lack the British thinking of modern television, just look at how BBC, ITV and Channel 4 have really bolstered their on demand output.

RTE schedules are appalling - seems like they don't want to spend any money on decent programming anymore, relying on old, tired formats. Placing their bets that the Irish still want a 2 hour talk show on a Friday night, forgetting that modern attention spans has changed a lot since Gay Byrne retired as host in 1999.

Their lack of a proper breakfast schedule provision, and their reliance on imports/repeats has made the decline even worse.

I look at RTE from a British perspective here, and I think RTE needs a serious revamp for it to survive.

Here in Britain, the BBC has a royal charter for it to exist, and it doesn't run out until December 31st 2027 - does RTE have a similar arrangement with the Irish government, a special contract, as I am sure it needs to be changed if it does.
[-] The following 2 users Like JMT1985's post:
  • benzj, bkman1990

How has Monday Night Live done for viewership figures over the past few weeks? Has it been stable since Claire Byrne Live finished for good in the summer?
[-] The following 1 user Likes bkman1990's post:
  • Superman1986

(17-11-2022, 11:01 AM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Here in Britain, the BBC has a royal charter for it to exist, and it doesn't run out until December 31st 2027 - does RTE have a similar arrangement with the Irish government, a special contract, as I am sure it needs to be changed if it does.

It is a statutory corporation, established under the Broadcasting Act 2009 (which continued the corporation originally established under the Broadcasting Authority Act 1960). It derives its existence from statute and doesn’t rely on a charter to continue its existence; it will continue to exist until and if the Oireachtas (Parliament) passes legislation to dissolve it. In that regard it is more similar to Channel 4 than the BBC. 

Nonetheless back in 2004 a “Charter” was put in place, nothing like the BBC’s, more like a statement of principles. It wasn’t based on any legal provision and was unenforceable.
[-] The following 4 users Like Rdd's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, Clean Feed, JMT1985

Eileen Dunne has retired from RTE News. She just signed off for the last time on the 9 O Clock News.

Eileen Dunne had read her final RTÉ News bulletin on the Nine O'Clock News tonight.

Unfortunately I didn't see it tonight as I was watching Children in Need on BBC One.

Did anyone here watch her final bulletin?
[-] The following 1 user Likes bkman1990's post:
  • Superman1986

(18-11-2022, 11:18 PM)bkman1990 Wrote:  Eileen Dunne had read her final RTÉ News bulletin on the Nine O'Clock News tonight.

Unfortunately I didn't see it tonight as I was watching Children in Need on BBC One.

Did anyone here watch her final bulletin?

Here's the final goodbye.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1593722801352896513?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1593722801352896513%7Ctwgr%5E82844cd6f8d7b6a07085945637565269df230b42%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fextra.ie%2F2022%2F11%2F18%2Fnews%2Feileen-dunne-retires
[-] The following 3 users Like chinamug's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, DE88

In vision Morning Ireland on RTE News (channel) and RTE Radio 1 this morning came from a new brighter studio which has in recent weeks been used for the Sunday lunchtime programme This Week also broadcast on both channels. All involved were presenting in the same studio with head on camera shots synchronised with the appropriate microphone.  Until recently some main presenters were still working from home.  Certainly an improvement which indicates a committment to the TV News Channel.
[-] The following 2 users Like MLehon's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990