Formula One

F1 go out of their way to make their broadcast centre look good for visitors - the staff have to wear uniform on race weekends, for example.

The control room in the background looks like where the world feed is produced, and as they pointed out, having that room full of people rather than on site in the UK saves a big amount of emissions from shipping them (and all that kit) round the world every other week.

C4's highlights coverage are produced remotely too, which means that a gallery in Ealing was producing coverage of a gallery in Biggin Hill producing coverage of a race in São Paolo.
[-] The following 2 users Like thegeek's post:
  • News Engineer, RhysJR

F1 Kids is back for a third time this weekend. It seems to be a success.

amp.formula1.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • bkman1990, fusionlad, JamieMurph25

A behind the scenes tour of the Sky commentary box.

I had always assumed that the 'Race control' pundit was situated somewhere on their own, not right next to the main commentary team.

twitter.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • 030293, JamieMurph25, leewilliams

Whisper will produce Channel 4's coverage until the end of 2026.

Looks like there will be substantial changes, with most non European races being presented from the UK rather than onsite in a sustainability drive. Some personnel changes incoming as well.

Quote:In 2024 C4F1 will be relaunched, with new features and additional talent being connected to the show. Channel 4 and Whisper have ambitious plans for the coverage with an increased focus on sustainability.

In line with F1’s significant sustainability targets, C4F1 is committed to reducing emissions from its C4F1 broadcasts, while maintaining high levels of creativity, insight and entertainment. The 2024 C4F1 shows will see a reduction of more than 50% in carbon footprint, compared to 2022.

Whisper will continue to deliver two highlight shows during each race weekend, with five live shows across the British Grand Prix weekend in July. All shows will continue to be produced remotely from the UK.

In 2024, late-night highlight shows will be presented from an innovative, immersive studio location in the UK, while European races will be presented from the F1 paddock. There will be on-site presence for all races, as we will partner with other international broadcasters.

www.channel4.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • bkman1990, watchingtv

(17-01-2024, 10:15 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Whisper will produce Channel 4's coverage until the end of 2026.

Looks like there will be substantial changes, with most non European races being presented from the UK rather than onsite in a sustainability drive. Some personnel changes incoming as well.
I’d imagine sustaining Channel 4’s finances rather than any environmental concern. But a clever bit of spin on cost cutting.
[-] The following 8 users Like Jon's post:
  • AJB39, Brekkie, cando, LDN, Nobby, RhysJR, thomash79, watchingtv

From what I'm understand here from reading the press release from Channel 4 above.

The highlights shows for the first F1 2024 race weekend in Bahrain will come from a new studio in the UK? Is that correct?

Would I also be correct to say that the likes of Alex Jacques & David Coulthard will be on site for every race due in the calendar to their commentary roles with F1TV as well as commentating from Silverstone with Channel 4?

Given how much of the coverage has been a piggyback of Sky's in recent years, this makes a lot of sense resourcewise. To be honest, at this stage I'm still shocked Channel 4 are producing any coverage independently.

ITV did a bit of this at different times, just using a small studio in the South Bank with a video wall to whoever was out on track. They didn't lose much in the presentation in terms of content, but it did look noticably low budget.

It's understandable with the Americas events where they have to show highlights after midnight and now show them in a shorter slot, presumably axing most of the pre-race content. For the Asian/Middle East swing probably more about cost cutting but a gamble worth taking.

F1 obviously somewhat pays it's own way for C4 to commit to another 3 years - will take it to a decade long commitment by C4.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • bkman1990, watchingtv

(18-01-2024, 09:50 AM)agemame Wrote:  Given how much of the coverage has been a piggyback of Sky's in recent years, this makes a lot of sense resourcewise. To be honest, at this stage I'm still shocked Channel 4 are producing any coverage independently.

ITV did a bit of this at different times, just using a small studio in the South Bank with a video wall to whoever was out on track. They didn't lose much in the presentation in terms of content, but it did look noticably low budget.

Rights aside, the programme has more content derived from F1TV than Sky as of last year. The only Sky content they used (I think) were the media pen interviews - and again I think this is because they are compelled to by their contract with Sky (except in Silverstone).

There's murmourings that Sky are keen to use more of that F1TV content themselves and scale down their own production now, which would make a lot of sense but would probably have the effect of moving the two programmes closer together.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 2 users Like WillPS's post:
  • bkman1990, watchingtv

With today's dramatic news, Sky had a special live F1 Show at 6pm. Not many programmes that I have seen/heard about have not come from the new MNF studio in recent weeks (the NFL coverage has moved there for the play-offs), but this did. A bit unfortunate the news became official at 7pm, just after they went off air.

www.youtube.com