Formula One

The F1 TV team is relatively unchanged. Same commentary on Channel 4 once again.

x.com 

(22-02-2024, 07:10 PM)SuperSajuuk Wrote:  I wonder if Crofty has other pre-arranged committments that have to take priority as 3 races seems very low if they were trying to plan for the future with "new voices" to the Sky F1 team. The fact the stand-in is the lead commentator of the BBC coverage feels like they just asked him if he wouldn't mind filling for them on 3 races, which are conveniently all European-based.

Wil be interesting to see how Harry Benjamin handles being on the primary UK broadcaster, I'm sure Brundle will be there for at least Imola and Austria though.....

I think it's more of those weekends are in the congested parts of the season with a lot of travel/timezone changes around them. Looking at it, there are some 'crown jewel' events after the first two, which it would be good to have the lead commentator fresh for. Imola has Miami a fortnight before (a fortnight after China) and Monaco the week after. Austria has Canada and Spain the previous week and Silverstone the week after. Azebaijan is a more of a travel issue, with Monza the previous week and SIngapore immediately after.

There is also a month between Singapore (September 22) and Austin (October 20). That comes across as a bit strange, especially with how tightly packed the calendar at other points.

(22-02-2024, 04:50 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  I appreciate 24 races is a heck of a lot of talking, but I can't help wondering if if it had occurred under his tenure, would Murray Walker have commentated on 24 races? Martin Brundle already doesn't do the full seasons at the previous lenghts I notice so maybe Walker wouldn't have done so either.

Of course how high can the number of races in a season go? How long before we get to 25? 30? 32?? With a season that runs pretty much ten months of the year, how long before we get to weekly races?

How much is too much?

For the viewer, I think we are probably past too much. If a season is competitive like 2021 then great, but if it is anything close to last year, many will lose interest fast.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • SuperSajuuk

(22-02-2024, 04:50 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  I appreciate 24 races is a heck of a lot of talking, but I can't help wondering if if it had occurred under his tenure, would Murray Walker have commentated on 24 races? Martin Brundle already doesn't do the full seasons at the previous lenghts I notice so maybe Walker wouldn't have done so either.

Of course how high can the number of races in a season go? How long before we get to 25? 30? 32?? With a season that runs pretty much ten months of the year, how long before we get to weekly races?

How much is too much?

Feels like with many sports now the new season pretty much starts before the old season has ended.

If anything in this case it's odd Croft is only missing three - kind of makes it more noticeable than if the substitute was covering more races. Does Croft do all sessions over the weekend too?

(22-02-2024, 07:48 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Feels like with many sports now the new season pretty much starts before the old season has ended.

If anything in this case it's odd Croft is only missing three - kind of makes it more noticeable than if the substitute was covering more races. Does Croft do all sessions over the weekend too?

I think he usually skips a practice session on Fridays.

I agree three is a small number to miss. When comparing with Simon Lazenby, Ted Kravitz or Martin Brundle, they all must miss double if not triple that amount.
[-] The following 2 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • Brekkie, SuperSajuuk

(22-02-2024, 07:14 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  I think it's more of those weekends are in the congested parts of the season with a lot of travel/timezone changes around them. Looking at it, there are some 'crown jewel' events after the first two, which it would be good to have the lead commentator fresh for. Imola has Miami a fortnight before (a fortnight after China) and Monaco the week after. Austria has Canada and Spain the previous week and Silverstone the week after. Azebaijan is a more of a travel issue, with Monza the previous week and SIngapore immediately after.

Good points all around there, I hadn't thought about it that way. Surprised Crofty didn't just skip Miami to stick in Europe for the majority of European races, but at least he's picked at least 2 races which will be relatively boring to commentate on lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes SuperSajuuk's post:
  • RhysJR

Former Haas team principal Gunther Steiner will be a pundit on the relaunched coverage of Germany's RTL.

From what I've heard about Drive to Survive, it doesn't sound like he would have been popular with the Ofcom sensors if he was signed by Sky Big Grin

twitter.com 

It is reported below that Sky Sports' coverage will be based in London for the Australian, Chinese and Japanese Grand Prixs, with only a small team onsite. This will be the first time Sky won't be primarily onsite for races they are covering.

When Channel 4 do similar, it is likely to be from the F1 Arcade site in London.

Also below, F1TV Pro is raising its prices, and by quite a lot in some territories. A 46% increase in the Netherlands seems rather extortionate!

motorsportbroadcasting.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • Brekkie

(27-02-2024, 01:43 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  It is reported below that Sky Sports' coverage will be based in London for the Australian, Chinese and Japanese Grand Prixs, with only a small team onsite. This will be the first time Sky won't be primarily onsite for races they are covering.

When Channel 4 do similar, it is likely to be from the F1 Arcade site in London.

Also below, F1TV Pro is raising its prices, and by quite a lot in some territories. A 46% increase in the Netherlands seems rather extortionate!
Sky working remote is good for keeping the wild swings in timezone changes under control. Plus, as the pandemic showed, you get the exact same quality for far less expended cost. Commentary and punditry will most likely be remote, with just the host, a pit lane reporter and a couple of production crew to beam the signal back to London, if i had to guess tbh.

Sky should do more to reduce their own carbon footprint with F1. I can understand being on site for almost all European races and a majority of the Americas races [since most of those are clustered together where your body would not notice the difference too much], but can’t see the point of jetsetting the entire production crew over to Asia/Australia for a couple of races.

(27-02-2024, 04:45 PM)SuperSajuuk Wrote:  [...]
Sky should do more to reduce their own carbon footprint with F1. I can understand being on site for almost all European races and a majority of the Americas races [since most of those are clustered together where your body would not notice the difference too much], but can’t see the point of jetsetting the entire production crew over to Asia/Australia for a couple of races.
Let's not forget China is back on the F1 calendar for the first time since 2019, but there are issues with the countries strict policies, including internet access (which might prove to be a problem with Sauber's sponsors, Kick) and broadcast standards.

I'd imagine Sky already do a fair bit of remote production with F1 - ie it's largely talent and camera ops on site, with the bulk of the production happening back in Osterley.

(I can tell you though that a 3am call time in London is as much of a shock to the body clock as the jet lag of going halfway round the world though!)
[-] The following 2 users Like thegeek's post:
  • Brekkie, News Engineer

(27-02-2024, 05:01 PM)thegeek Wrote:  I'd imagine Sky already do a fair bit of remote production with F1 - ie it's largely talent and camera ops on site, with the bulk of the production happening back in Osterley.

(I can tell you though that a 3am call time in London is as much of a shock to the body clock as the jet lag of going halfway round the world though!)

There is plenty of remote production used by Sky F1, with the gallery, lead producer and director back in the UK. The article below says 45 people onsite and 20 back in the UK for a F1 broadcast.

www.blackbookmotorsport.com 

Whilst Sky could do more of the remote races from a UK studio, it is worth remembering they are the broadcast shown in most English speaking countries, like on ESPN in the US and Fox Sports in Australia. I'm not sure how much these other broadcasters pay Sky, but I doubt they will be too pleased if the races in their timezone are given lesser coverage.