BBC TV Christmas 2022 Pres

Although now you've just had a repeat of "The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse" introduced with the Sky ident when you could have easily introduced it with the special programme idents they've been running for the past month.

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.
[-] The following 3 users Like Josh's post:
  • Frances, Ma76, Si-Co

I agree with what was said a few posts ago. The Christmas pres really should run until New Years Bank Holiday (which is normally New Year's Day, but it'd be January 2nd this year, since today is a Sunday). The schedules aren't fully back to normal until Tuesday.
[-] The following 2 users Like JAS84's post:
  • fanoftv, Ma76

(01-01-2023, 04:44 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  I agree with what was said a few posts ago. The Christmas pres really should run until New Years Bank Holiday (which is normally New Year's Day, but it'd be January 2nd this year, since today is a Sunday). The schedules aren't fully back to normal until Tuesday.

Yes, and to clarify why I said 3rd or 4th January - 3rd January is a bank holiday in Scotland this year (they always have two days holiday for New Year). No reason why BBC One Scotland couldn’t run their festive idents for an extra day independently of Network.

I take on board the suggestion that some new series launch on NYD, but if that’s the reason there’s still no need to switch back straight after midnight, as programmes like the Eurovision Party are still seasonal offerings. Why not wait until the next morning?

THE NEXT POST FOLLOWS SHORTLY…
[-] The following 1 user Likes Si-Co's post:
  • Ma76

(02-01-2023, 03:55 AM)Si-Co Wrote:  
(01-01-2023, 04:44 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  I agree with what was said a few posts ago. The Christmas pres really should run until New Years Bank Holiday (which is normally New Year's Day, but it'd be January 2nd this year, since today is a Sunday). The schedules aren't fully back to normal until Tuesday.

Yes, and to clarify why I said 3rd or 4th January - 3rd January is a bank holiday in Scotland this year (they always have two days holiday for New Year). No reason why BBC One Scotland couldn’t run their festive idents for an extra day independently of Network.

I take on board the suggestion that some new series launch on NYD, but if that’s the reason there’s still no need to switch back straight after midnight, as programmes like the Eurovision Party are still seasonal offerings. Why not wait until the next morning?

The year 2001 was the first time that the BBC used Christmas Idents up until New Year's Day.  The last time was 2012.

Before 2001, Christmas idents were retired at closedown on Boxing Day or on a proceeding Bank Holiday, but the latter scenario wasn't always the case.  So, really, we should be grateful that Christmas idents start early December and end early New Year's Day.

(02-01-2023, 11:31 AM)SteveRW Wrote:  Before 2001, Christmas idents were retired at closedown on Boxing Day or on a proceeding Bank Holiday, but the latter scenario wasn't always the case.  So, really, we should be grateful that Christmas idents start early December and end early New Year's Day.

I suspect part of the reason for the increased length of time that Christmas idents are on air is the increasing cost of idents. It'd be harder to justify some Christmas idents, particularly some of those during the circle era, if they were only up for a few days.

(02-01-2023, 12:10 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(02-01-2023, 11:31 AM)SteveRW Wrote:  Before 2001, Christmas idents were retired at closedown on Boxing Day or on a proceeding Bank Holiday, but the latter scenario wasn't always the case.  So, really, we should be grateful that Christmas idents start early December and end early New Year's Day.

I suspect part of the reason for the increased length of time that Christmas idents are on air is the increasing cost of idents. It'd be harder to justify some Christmas idents, particularly some of those during the circle era, if they were only up for a few days.
But it’s also reflecting society, more and more people put their decorations up at the start of December or earlier than they did 30 years ago.

And the other thing is, surely idents are there to promote the brand, and Christmas idents to promote the Christmas offering, you’ve gone past that point really if you’re just doing it on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and you’re just doing it to make things look nice.

I do think they should stay on air for New Years Day though, if they’re not doing anything special for the New Year. Particularly this year when the programme they were promoting was getting another showing on that very day.
[-] The following 5 users Like Jon's post:
  • AJB39, benzj, DTV, insert_good_username_here, Ma76

It’s the way they disappear immediately after Midnight which I don’t get. It doesn’t happen any other time of year

I think it made sense when they either had a new look, or a special January look, but otherwise at least run them to the end of the normal TV day (I.e when they hand to BBC News)
[-] The following 6 users Like Andrew's post:
  • Brekkie, fanoftv, insert_good_username_here, Ma76, Si-Co, UTVLifer

Christmas presentation on BBC One has changed over the last decade in terms of when they start - the change is all down to the change in the attitude of the general public.

As said before, in the past, Christmas idents on BBC One tended to be revealed at lunchtime on Christmas Eve, and would end at close down on Boxing Day, as in the past, these three days were Christmas, the rest was not.

That all changed with the start of the circle idents on BBC One in 2006. With the 2006 Christmas idents starting in mid December 2006, and from 2008 the Christmas presentation launch got earlier by one day per year.

Christmas 2015 was the first time December 1st was the launch of the Christmas idents, and since then that pattern has remained.

I have friends who put up their Christmas decorations around a week after Bonfire Night, which is way too early for me, but this is the trend. The holiday of Christmas is not just Christmas Eve to Boxing Day, but the anticipation and build up throughout November and December.

The previous set up of just using them for three days is a hangover from the symbols being physical models in one of the pres studios. They couldn't sacrifice a studio for any longer in those days.

Though as the last live physical model was in 1985, it took a long time to extend Christmas idents beyond just those three days.