Neighbours is coming back!

(17-11-2022, 11:31 AM)Ash101 Wrote:  It's a great idea for Freevee as it'll get them some publicity and I expect the money isn't a huge issue because the video stuff is all a bit of a side project for Amazon. I take it there's no Freevee in Australia, New Zealand or Canada hence why it'll end up on Prime Video there...

But I cannot help but feel the timing is all a little strange. They had the big send off over the summer and it's not exactly been given that long to stew and warrant a big 'come back'.

Also interesting use of 'new series' - will it be limited episodes instead of an ongoing 4/5 times a week thing, or is that just the way they're wording it to ensure people know it's new episodes?
New series to disambiguate from the back catalogue that'll also be made available, yeah. Presumably it'll be five episodes a week again, considering it's airing on Network 10.

Amazon clearly weren't interested while the show was still airing - but a lot of people tuned in for the finale and that Farewell Tour (which will now need renaming!) is a sellout.

(17-11-2022, 12:50 PM)Alessi Wrote:  All the interior sets were stripped out right?
Nope. The sets were in storage until the end of this year according to a producer.
[-] The following 2 users Like JAS84's post:
  • Alessi, Ma76

(17-11-2022, 04:30 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  
(17-11-2022, 12:50 PM)Alessi Wrote:  All the interior sets were stripped out right?
Nope. The sets were in storage until the end of this year according to a producer.
Coincidentally at least one tabloid was running an article yesterday online showing photos of the interior sets still in place/storage.

I think the bigger question and potential issue is how many of the cast wish to return? I seem to recall Ryan Moloney (aka Toadie) previously saying in interviews prior to the (then) final episode that he had been planning to leave the show. I imagine that some of the actors may have already found other work prior to today's announcement.

Presumably when the break from being on screen will allow the writers to come up with reasons why some of the cast have moved away from Ramsey Street in the past few months. However, the more that decide not to return the harder it is for those reasons to sound believable onscreen.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

According to digital spy report they are saying

“Neighbours stars Stefan Dennis (Paul Robinson), Alan Fletcher (Karl Kennedy), Jackie Woodburne (Susan Kennedy) and Ryan Moloney (Toadie Rebecchi) have been announced to be returning to reprise their leading roles, while Jason Herbison is also returning as executive producer.”

Be interesting to see if anyone else is coming back

Full story:
www.digitalspy.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like TJTSW's post:
  • Ma76, UTVLifer

The 'ending' was fairly fanciful anyway with them all deciding to move away and then changing their minds, so I'm sure the writers can swiftly deal with a large swathe of the cast not returning if needs be.

Call me cynical but I wouldn't be surprised if cancelling it meant all old contracts were voided which means Freevee and Fremantle don't have to pay as much.
[-] The following 3 users Like XIII's post:
  • Alessi, DJ Dave, watchingtv

Call me crazy, but honestly this show shouldn't be coming back and was way past its "Use by" date when it finished. The whole soap opera genre had its day, its day is long since gone. They put whole genres of other shows out of their misery long before they ever got to the state of where soap operas are now, why haven't soap operas died yet?
[-] The following 1 user Likes cityprod's post:
  • Stuart

(17-11-2022, 07:38 PM)cityprod Wrote:  Call me crazy, but honestly this show shouldn't be coming back and was way past its "Use by" date when it finished.  The whole soap opera genre had its day, its day is long since gone.  They put whole genres of other shows out of their misery long before they ever got to the state of where soap operas are now, why haven't soap operas died yet?

I mean you’re not obliged to watch it.
[-] The following 8 users Like all new phil's post:
  • AJB39, eyeTV, Hellsloot, liverpool2023, London Lite, Ma76, sgreen93, Trafford Wharf Road

(17-11-2022, 07:38 PM)cityprod Wrote:  Call me crazy, but honestly this show shouldn't be coming back and was way past its "Use by" date when it finished.  The whole soap opera genre had its day, its day is long since gone.  They put whole genres of other shows out of their misery long before they ever got to the state of where soap operas are now, why haven't soap operas died yet?

Couldn't disagree any more. Neighbours was on fire in it's final few years. I understood the Channel 5 reason for axing was to spend more money on UK based productions was reasonable and that a streaming service was the way forward. I guess the cogs turn slowing in tv production/contracts land. I'm so pleased Amazon are picking it up!
[-] The following 6 users Like jaymadz's post:
  • Alessi, Hellsloot, Ma76, thomash79, Trafford Wharf Road, watchingtv

Interesting to see it coming the US as well, Which at least gives those in the US that might have watched the show in "other ways" an easier way to watch.
[-] The following 3 users Like sky303's post:
  • Alessi, Ma76, sgreen93

(17-11-2022, 07:48 PM)all new phil Wrote:  

I mean you’re not obliged to watch it.
Nobody is ever obliged to watch anything.  Everyone has the right to comment on events.