Neighbours is coming back!

(17-11-2022, 07:38 PM)cityprod Wrote:  Call me crazy, but honestly this show shouldn't be coming back and was way past its "Use by" date when it finished. The whole soap opera genre had its day, its day is long since gone. They put whole genres of other shows out of their misery long before they ever got to the state of where soap operas are now, why haven't soap operas died yet?

You're entitled to your opinion but you might be interested to know there are other programmes available to view. Which you may also be of the opinion of "had its day".
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • thomash79

(17-11-2022, 08:33 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  
(17-11-2022, 07:38 PM)cityprod Wrote:  Call me crazy, but honestly this show shouldn't be coming back and was way past its "Use by" date when it finished.  The whole soap opera genre had its day, its day is long since gone.  They put whole genres of other shows out of their misery long before they ever got to the state of where soap operas are now, why haven't soap operas died yet?

You're entitled to your opinion but you might be interested to know there are other programmes available to view.  Which you may also be of the opinion of "had its day".

Yeah and besides the reaction that I saw today, the majority are in favour of it coming back.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BBCMeridian's post:
  • thomash79

(17-11-2022, 11:31 AM)Ash101 Wrote:  It's a great idea for Freevee as it'll get them some publicity and I expect the money isn't a huge issue because the video stuff is all a bit of a side project for Amazon. I take it there's no Freevee in Australia, New Zealand or Canada hence why it'll end up on Prime Video there...

But I cannot help but feel the timing is all a little strange. They had the big send off over the summer and it's not exactly been given that long to stew and warrant a big 'come back'.

Also interesting use of 'new series' - will it be limited episodes instead of an ongoing 4/5 times a week thing, or is that just the way they're wording it to ensure people know it's new episodes?

I suppose you could call the last episode, a special reunion episode.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BBCMeridian's post:
  • thomash79

Perhaps Frew will want it back now.

Interesting it's not just new episodes but a sizable amount of the back catalogue too - "thousands of iconic episodes" apparently.

Freevee has loads of "live channels" too - now they have Judge Judy (aka Judy Justice now) there is a rolling Judy channel. I assume when the Neighbours deal comes live there will be rolling channels for both classic and new Neighbours - maybe even 80s/90s/00s channels too.

(17-11-2022, 09:12 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  Perhaps Frew will want it back now.

Who's Frew?

(17-11-2022, 09:39 PM)XIII Wrote:  
(17-11-2022, 09:12 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  Perhaps Frew will want it back now.

Who's Frew?

I think they mean Ben Frow the flamin' galah one who axed Neighbours from channel 5.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JasonB's post:
  • Ma76

It will be really interesting to see what the format of the show will be. Wouldn't it be a first for a streaming service to offer a daily episodic show? I wonder if we will find out how long the contract for production is? While it's amazing news Neighbours is back, it would be such a shame if it's all over again this time next year.

Interesting to learn that this deal was finalized last week as confirmed by Ryan Moloney (Toadie) via his interview with Studio 10 in Australian last night and that the executive producer, Jason Herbison (who deserve massive props for his role in all this) went to his house as well as, Jackie (Susan), Alan (Karl) & Stefan (Paul) to confirm the show was back and if they wanted to return and that they don't even know yet if they can use "Ramsay Street" for external location shoots.

I do wonder also, as Freevee is avaliable in the UK will this mean no FTA channel in the UK can air Neighbours? Freevee is a unknown brand, just look at the number of followers on their Twitter page compared to Prime for example so I'm wondering how many "eyes" are really on their product?

It will be fantasising to see how this all plays out behind the scenes as well as in front of them!
[-] The following 2 users Like andrewrobinson89's post:
  • IanJRedman, Ma76

(17-11-2022, 08:33 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  
(17-11-2022, 07:38 PM)cityprod Wrote:  Call me crazy, but honestly this show shouldn't be coming back and was way past its "Use by" date when it finished.  The whole soap opera genre had its day, its day is long since gone.  They put whole genres of other shows out of their misery long before they ever got to the state of where soap operas are now, why haven't soap operas died yet?

You're entitled to your opinion but you might be interested to know there are other programmes available to view.  Which you may also be of the opinion of "had its day".

There certainly are, but none to the degree that soap operas have.  Most shows or indeed genres once they have descended into self-parody get put out of their misery.  Occasionally a show, or indeed a genre will descend into being a self-parody of a self-parody.  They then hurriedly end those.  Only soap operas have descended below self-parody of a self-parody of a self parody, and yet, maybe because of their overall cheapness to produce, soap operas are still being made and still descending further into the morass of levels of self-parody that would have ended other genres.

By way of contrast, reality shows, another genre that I have nothing but disdain for, haven't yet done more than flirted with self-parody yet, so there is still plenty of life left in that genre, no matter my own personal disdain for it.  Soap operas, on the other hand, arer so far into the levels of self-parody morass that frankly to me it's amazing they haven't yet been put out of their misery.

(18-11-2022, 01:36 PM)cityprod Wrote:  
(17-11-2022, 08:33 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  You're entitled to your opinion but you might be interested to know there are other programmes available to view.  Which you may also be of the opinion of "had its day".

There certainly are, but none to the degree that soap operas have.  Most shows or indeed genres once they have descended into self-parody get put out of their misery.  Occasionally a show, or indeed a genre will descend into being a self-parody of a self-parody.  They then hurriedly end those.  Only soap operas have descended below self-parody of a self-parody of a self parody, and yet, maybe because of their overall cheapness to produce, soap operas are still being made and still descending further into the morass of levels of self-parody that would have ended other genres.

By way of contrast, reality shows, another genre that I have nothing but disdain for, haven't yet done more than flirted with self-parody yet, so there is still plenty of life left in that genre, no matter my own personal disdain for it.  Soap operas, on the other hand, arer so far into the levels of self-parody morass that frankly to me it's amazing they haven't yet been put out of their misery.
What are you on about.
[-] The following 3 users Like AJB39's post:
  • Hellsloot, London Lite, sgreen93