Neighbours is coming back!

It's a daft point anyway, there isn't a majority of the population that watches any programme or genre of TV.

There is however a significant proportion of the viewing population that watch soaps.
[-] The following 2 users Like eyeTV's post:
  • bilky asko, JustJamie

(19-11-2022, 12:34 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  It's a daft point anyway, there isn't a majority of the population that watches any programme or genre of TV.

There is however a significant proportion of the viewing population that watch soaps.

Indeed - soaps regularly make the Top 10 programmes in a week.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bilky asko's post:
  • JustJamie

What we should be looking at is how viewers consume soaps currently. Are the younger demos consuming them more via the apps while I'd expect the majority of older adults use linear channels.

Days of Our Lives in the US moved to Peacock and runs daily there , it's put up at 6AM daily. I do wonder how it's doing there. Anyway, I think since Neighbours is still going to be on Network 10 on TV, it's now just working on Amazon's money than Channel 5 money. Amazon's streaming business isn't their main core compared to the other parts of Amazon, so they might be more willing in the long term to invest in it. Having it on Freevee, the free service versus the Prime Video was smart too, now someone won't feel they have to sign over more money to a service. The people who watched on My5 would really just have to go to a different app. The other thing, that could be a factor is time, the show when it comes off the air would have been off the air for sometime, I wonder how many come back.

Of course it must be remembered Neighbours only ever survived on its international appeal. If it didn't have that it would have been dead in the water if Channel 5 hadn't become involved back in 2008, it's always sort of struggled in Australia viewer wise, even more so when Home & Away came along.

All Freevee will do is just do what Channel 5 were doing, paying for the bulk of it. Whether it will attract the same viewership remains to be seen. Something smash hit popular like Stranger Things can attract large viewerships (the third season of that, it says here, racked up 64m viewers in its first month of dropping - the Prime equivalent is probably The Boys but Amazon don't release their streaming figures, but the fact it's had three seasons implies its successful), but whether that will happen for Neighbours I doubt it, i t may just become a publicity machine for Freevee/Prime.

I don’t think it’s fair to say Neighbours would have been dead in the water if Channel 5 hadn’t come along. There was no suggestion at the time the BBC didn’t want to keep it and even at that time it was popularity in the UK that had kept it alive for some time. I know there are those who say the BBC would have got bored of it after a few years and it’s impossible to know. But likely it would have ended up on Channel 5 anyway and possible the increased popularity would have sustained it a bit longer.

What the Channel 5 deal did was probably allowed Ten to stop putting any money into it. But it also shouldn’t be forgot there was reports of Channel 5 under Richard Desmond and then Viacom constantly renegotiating the contract.

I don’t think Amazon are serious about trying to keep the show going for years but I’m sure they know they’ll probably make their money back off the initial publicity for the Freevee service.

(20-11-2022, 03:34 PM)Jon Wrote:  I don’t think it’s fair to say Neighbours would have been dead in the water if Channel 5 hadn’t come along. There was no suggestion at the time the BBC didn’t want to keep it and even at that time it was popularity in the UK that had kept it alive for some time. I know there are those who say the BBC would have got bored of it after a few years and it’s impossible to know. But likely it would have ended up on Channel 5 anyway and possible the increased popularity would have sustained it a bit longer.

What the Channel 5 deal did was probably allowed Ten to stop putting any money into it. But it also shouldn’t be forgot there was reports of Channel 5 under Richard Desmond and then Viacom constantly renegotiating the contract.

I don’t think Amazon are serious about trying to keep the show going for years but I’m sure they know they’ll probably make their money back off the initial publicity for the Freevee service.

I suspect Amazon are on a better deal for Neighbours compared to Channel 5 back in 2007 who overbid as they needed a marquee title for the channel and keep in mind this was a year before the 2008 recession so they were willing to splash the cash whereas under Ben Frow and Paramount, they're more financially prudent.

And of courser Amazon as a company itself is probably worth more than 90% of countries on the planet. $500 billion dollars of revenue and a gross profit of $216 billion. They're not short of a bob or two. That being said we wouldn't be seeing anywhere near the same amount of interest if they were reviving Crossroads or something, whereas Neighbour is still relatively recent in the mind (and of course wouldn't be the first programme that its network dropped and somebody picked up a year later)

(20-11-2022, 07:29 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  And of courser Amazon as a company itself is probably worth more than 90% of countries on the planet.  $500 billion dollars of revenue and a gross profit of $216 billion.  They're not short of a bob or two. That being said we wouldn't be seeing anywhere near the same amount of interest if they were reviving Crossroads or something, whereas Neighbour is still relatively recent in the mind (and of course wouldn't be the first programme that its network dropped and somebody picked up a year later)
Like Neighbours which was dropped by Seven back in 1985 only to picked up by 10 a year or so later.

(20-11-2022, 07:29 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  And of courser Amazon as a company itself is probably worth more than 90% of countries on the planet. $500 billion dollars of revenue and a gross profit of $216 billion. They're not short of a bob or two. That being said we wouldn't be seeing anywhere near the same amount of interest if they were reviving Crossroads or something, whereas Neighbour is still relatively recent in the mind (and of course wouldn't be the first programme that its network dropped and somebody picked up a year later)

Crossroads not just because of how long it has been off but also its terribly dated concept. Even Seb wouldn't take a chance on it.