Children In Need

The fact the CiN thread isn't that busy shows that even pres enthusiasts aren't even that interested.
[-] The following 4 users Like London Lite's post:
  • Ben Shatliff, bkman1990, DE88, DeMarkay

I did expect to some something different branding wise. Pretty much all of the events in the past weeks that I've seen have used the new logo along with coloured spheres on white design, but the show itself is pretty much how it has been the last few years with the golden glittery backdrop.
[-] The following 3 users Like PATV Scunthorpe's post:
  • bkman1990, DeMarkay, fanoftv

Let’s play a quick game of Blankety Blank: “Same ……….., different year!”

It just feels like the BBC have given up with Children in Need. It seems like it’s more of a burden to them than them actually wanting to do it. Not sure why they aren’t using the updated CiN branding style again but the lack of attention to detail where branding is concerned is pretty common at this point.
[-] The following 5 users Like brioalex's post:
  • Ben Shatliff, bkman1990, DeMarkay, DJ Dave, fanoftv

For the second year running, regional CiN segments have been during the 6.30 regional bulletins. SET had Ellie Crisell on location at Eastbourne Pier.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • Ma76

(18-11-2022, 10:22 PM)brioalex Wrote:  Let’s play a quick game of Blankety Blank: “Same ……….., different year!”

It just feels like the BBC have given up with Children in Need. It seems like it’s more of a burden to them than them actually wanting to do it. Not sure why they aren’t using the updated CiN branding style again but the lack of attention to detail where branding is concerned is pretty common at this point.
If they are giving up on it and feel it is a burden then they could do it every two years and put more into it. 

Sadly ITV Telethon was axed after Telethon ‘92; that when it was National ran every two years.

(18-11-2022, 09:54 PM)London Lite Wrote:  The fact the CiN thread isn't that busy shows that even pres enthusiasts aren't even that interested.

Where's Tumble Tower when you need him the most?

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.

(18-11-2022, 09:16 PM)cable Wrote:  BBC CiN... it ain't what it used to be!
Neither is the BBC, the last time it was at its peak was 2001, we had a Television Centre in London, we had children's programmes strand as CBBC on BBC One and BBC Two, we had BBC Choice and BBC Knowledge, and we had important shows such as City Hospital, Live & Kicking, Blue Peter with grown up presenters instead of teen presenters, Grandstand Top of the Pops, Crimewatch, Watchdog, Holby City, Parkinson, Kilroy, Liquid News, Westminster Live, Despatch Box, On the Record, Tomorrow's World, The Really Wild Show, Xchange, Shortchange, Schools Programmes such as Numbertime and Words and Pictures, Never Mind the Buzzcocks, The Really Wild Show, The National Lottery Stars, Jetset and Winning Lines, Housecall, Wipeout, Timewatch, Horizon, Australian Soap Neighbours and many more.
[-] The following 2 users Like BBCMeridian's post:
  • Ben Shatliff, Ma76

(18-11-2022, 10:41 PM)Ben Shatliff Wrote:  
(18-11-2022, 10:22 PM)brioalex Wrote:  Let’s play a quick game of Blankety Blank: “Same ……….., different year!”

If they are giving up on it and feel it is a burden then they could do it every two years and put more into it. 

Sadly ITV Telethon was axed after Telethon ‘92; that when it was National ran every two years.

Absolutely, I think every other year would be better than yearly. Even Comic Relief/Red Nose Day has moved to an annual event now which I think is a mistake too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes brioalex's post:
  • Ben Shatliff

I miss Alan Dedicoat telling us to go down the post office and quote "Freepay 1066" at the Giro Bank clerk as much as the next person, but the organisation does need to move with the fundraising times.

Children in Need gives financial grants to over 2,000 organisations - including one for disabled children right on my doorstep - and they all want consistant income and less risk.

The strategy of branching out onto other programmes over a longer period and across TV and radio clearly helps CiN guarantee a certain income level and encourages multiple donations. Putting all your hope into one night on linear TV is much higher risk.

Moving to every two years would introduce more uncertainty, and put greater pressure on raising massive sums on a single night.

Yes, there's less telethon glitz, glamour and content than years gone by, but (for better or worse) it's all about maximising the return on money spent - especially now the BBC itself isn't as awash with cash as in the past.
[-] The following 3 users Like scottishtv's post:
  • Jeff, Ma76, TVFan

To be honest I think they only do the telethon night because they have done for decades and there would be an outcry if they stopped. The main focus has been on other events and other programmes for years now. If they ever do something new or large scale, it’ll always be in a separate programme with only highlights on the night.

And I know this is probably sacrilege but I’m not a fan of Alan Deadicoat’s voiceovers on what is supposed to be a big entertainment night, he’s too functional sometimes and his voice has a certain inflection like he’s been pre-recorded in individual sentences and stitched together like a railway station announcement.
[-] The following 2 users Like Andrew's post:
  • bkman1990, DeMarkay