Britain’s Got Talent 2023

No surprise really but Stephen was perfectly capable of covering for Ant & Dec tonight

Although I don't think the spin off show really worked in the end, the judges were pretty much just there for the usual 'you're amazing / incredible performance / upped your game' comments and had no influence on the voting at all which was done by the studio audience anyway - even having Penn from Penn & Teller didn't really add much to proceedings

10 magic acts in a row somehow became a bit...boring? Especially when it was nothing new, basically the exact same acts doing the exact same routines as their previous Got Talent appearances! (that you can watch to your hearts content on the likes of YouTube)

Slightly odd choice to air it at 8pm on the Sunday before Christmas, why not stick it on over Christmas instead of a repeat of something else? I don't know about anyone else but it probably didn't help I was mentally drained after 120 minutes or so of one of the most dramtic World Cup finals ever to be interested in watching a 2 hour show shortly afterwards!

Still I'm sure the winner was delighted with a £50,000 prize for turning up and doing a single 5 minute performance!

(19-12-2022, 03:10 AM)Johnr Wrote:  Still I'm sure the winner was delighted with a £50,000 prize for turning up and doing a single 5 minute performance!

Indeed - this part was a little bit strange. They've basically given away £50k to someone on the vote of around 3,000 people.
(Considering they split this prize amongst 2 people on Love Island - for example).

Not the first time a show connected with Cowell has given away a ridiculously large amount of money for so little effort. Somebody could have won 500k after just one performance on Walk The Line and of course Red Or Black was down to pure luck.

Don't think £50k seemed that unreasonable relative to other TV prizes, given that they all created original performances for the show. Contestants can get more than that for 60 seconds of quizzing on Beat the Chasers, and other gameshows aren't really much different.

Do think 10 back to back magicians became a bit dull though, and so the special didn't do much for me, well produced as it was. Do think it missed Cowell, and whilst Stephen did a good job (and would be a good replacement if A&D ever did pack it in), it missed A&D too.

(18-12-2022, 08:59 PM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  Ultimately, the BGT panel is in need of a refresh- I’m generally an ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’ kind of person but the panel has been tired the last few years- for its first 3 years or so it was easily one of the best judging panels on television, but it’s absolutely time to change things up a bit- I feel there’s been more attention-seeking antics from the panel the last couple of series than there was in their first few.

I feel losing BGMT hurt BGT’s main show- made it feel less eventful without  the post-show lookback (you only have to look at the ratings since)- I’m glad Stephen is back for the Christmas special but don’t think they should have dropped him or BGMT in the first place really- in some ways the spin-off was better than the main show. I think BGT’s days are limited- the talent in more recent series has been very underwhelming, and again, with somewhat lacklustre talent, it makes the show feel less eventful- it all feels very holiday camp now.

I am a big fan of Mulhern and love In for a Penny as it is generally him messing about with the public and that was great about BGMT, it was terrible acts messing about with Stephen who made them feel like they were great.  I think BGMT in the auditions was definently the better show than BGT and it is missed.  

As for last night I watched it, Mulhern was good but agree BGT needs some sort of revamp, if they are going to film in January again then they need to decide on a new judge for David Walliams but personally I would change one of the females but I doubt that will happen any time soon.

(19-12-2022, 07:07 PM)NI92 Wrote:  
(18-12-2022, 08:59 PM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  Ultimately, the BGT panel is in need of a refresh- I’m generally an ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’ kind of person but the panel has been tired the last few years- for its first 3 years or so it was easily one of the best judging panels on television, but it’s absolutely time to change things up a bit- I feel there’s been more attention-seeking antics from the panel the last couple of series than there was in their first few.

I feel losing BGMT hurt BGT’s main show- made it feel less eventful without  the post-show lookback (you only have to look at the ratings since)- I’m glad Stephen is back for the Christmas special but don’t think they should have dropped him or BGMT in the first place really- in some ways the spin-off was better than the main show. I think BGT’s days are limited- the talent in more recent series has been very underwhelming, and again, with somewhat lacklustre talent, it makes the show feel less eventful- it all feels very holiday camp now.

I am a big fan of Mulhern and love In for a Penny as it is generally him messing about with the public and that was great about BGMT, it was terrible acts messing about with Stephen who made them feel like they were great.  I think BGMT in the auditions was definently the better show than BGT and it is missed.  

As for last night I watched it, Mulhern was good but agree BGT needs some sort of revamp, if they are going to film in January again then they need to decide on a new judge for David Walliams but personally I would change one of the females but I doubt that will happen any time soon.
I remember Simon pranking Amanda once saying he’d replace her with Cheryl- he might have been on to something there.

Graham Norton has apparently rejected a spot on the panel for the upcoming series, which begins filming at the end of the month.

I don’t think Graham Norton would be right for judge- he’d be better to host.

But if they want someone to wind Simon up the way David did, could we potentially have the proven formula of Louis Walsh? He’s guest judged before; we know him and Simon have good banter from the X Factor days; and much like David, he enjoys the novelty acts.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gary Baldy's post:
  • DeMarkay

I feel like Joe Lycett would be a good fit, but I’m not sure it’s something he’d do. He used to pop up regularly on things like The Xtra Factor though I seem to remember.
[-] The following 2 users Like all new phil's post:
  • Brekkie, DeMarkay

(08-01-2023, 05:36 PM)all new phil Wrote:  I feel like Joe Lycett would be a good fit, but I’m not sure it’s something he’d do. He used to pop up regularly on things like The Xtra Factor though I seem to remember.

Joe’s a bit too Channel 4 for the show I think.