International News Presentation: Past and Present

News at 6.30, i-Cable/Hoy TV, 18/10/2022. Following the FTA channel's rebrand, the evening newscast is bumped up to 6.30 (coincidentally the same time as TVB Jade's offering), the original hour opting for a Finance Channel simulcast and an imported drama. 

This is the first broadcast, half hour less than their predecessor, and using the old Frontline News-era opening than the white globe:

youtu.be 

This also signaled the end of the Cable/OpenTV news simulcast, as the former takes Newsroom Live at 1900 on their own. Interestingly, it shows the temporary set still has a place for stand-up news reporting, albeit in a much smaller scale compared to the giant desk.

Watch this space...
WestKnightTV - on DeviantArt

Australia’s 10 News First is reinstating a separate bulletin for Adelaide viewers as the bulletin has suffered from dramatically decreasing ratings. The catch is, the new bulletin will be centrally produced from their Sydney HQ, but Kate Freebairn, who hosted their local weather segmemt before the dramatic cutbacks on local content in the Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth metro zones happened in 2020, and continues to do so, but also for the Melbourne broadcast, will anchor the new local news hour separately from Sandra Sully and Chris Bath.

tvblackbox.com.au 

This is a rare instance of when the Japanese emergency advisory system is activated: a North Korean missile passing over their territory.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/574308030242357271/1037504898348093490/2022-11-02_17-12-09.mp4

NHK World has live coverage, with its usual mix of its own Newsline coverage and translated coverage from NHK GTV.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/live/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Medianext.MX's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

CBC News is closing its China bureau in Beijing, after pleas for an incoming journalist's working visa went unanswered:

Quote:Our French-language service, Radio-Canada Info, applied for a visa for its then-new China correspondent, Philippe Leblanc, in October 2020. Despite numerous exchanges with the Chinese consulate in Montreal and requests for meetings over the last two years, there is still no visa.

(...)

This past April, my counterpart at Radio-Canada, Luce Julien, and I wrote to China's ambassador to Canada, Cong Peiwu. We requested once more the visa for Leblanc. As we told the ambassador, "We still believe in the importance of bearing witness to current issues that affect your country. In the absence of a journalist on-site, we are obviously unable to do this work and will have difficult decisions to make."

Receipt of our letter was acknowledged and nothing else.

(...)

There is no point keeping an empty bureau when we could easily set up elsewhere in a different country that welcomes journalists and respects journalistic scrutiny.

Closing the Beijing bureau is the last thing we want to do, but our hand has been forced.
(From CBC News' editor-in-chief Brodie Fenlon)

Watch this space...

This is how the news on Keshet 12 looked like last Sunday (October 30th, 2022), on the eve of the latest Israeli parliamentary election:
www.youtube.com 

Last Tuesday, Denmark held emergency presidential elections triggered by a political controversy surrounding the country’s handling of the COVID-19 crisis. DR and TV 2 aired election results programmes that night, with its coverage differing in many routes:

DR’s graphics followed the PSB’s overall graphical style, and its election results programme airing from their Copenhagen HQ, with a massive Valgcenter studio installed for the occasion, based on the designs used for regional and European elections coverage last year:

youtu.be 

TV2’s coverage aired from Christiansborg, with a graphics package completely different from the rest of TV 2’s overall news package:

youtu.be 
[-] The following 2 users Like Medianext.MX's post:
  • ArthurVX, Roger Darthwell

Back in September, i-Cable News in Hong Kong debuted a temporary set while the main studio was under renovation. Turns out it was part of a new news channel named Hoy Infotainment (as in Information and Entertainment, although the Chinese name only took the former meaning), launching on FTA Ch.78 on 21 November.

Notable programming include:

[*]Dedicated signed newscast, which is on par with TVB News Channel Pearl's offering;
[*]Original 'light information' strands in between live news, such as lifestyle programming done by the news anchors;
[*]Flagship newscasts at 7 and 11, all done by the i-Cable News team;
[*]Finance, sports and health programming;
[*]Otherwise a mix of schedule between pay TV finance and news channels (with the former previously simulcasted on daytime Ch.77).

Compared to Ch.77's abysmal ratings, Ch.78 was more anticipated as a worthy alternative to TVB News, in the field of 24/7 news channels.

This is a small preview of the revamped studio from their pre-launch promo:

[Image: Cable%20Studio%201.jpg]
[Image: Cable%20Studio%202.jpg]

Possible new opens for newscasts (captured from their inaugural ceremony, so the image quality is not as good; from 1st to 3rd: Newsroom Live at 1900, Newsroom Live Nighttime and News Report with Sign Language - last one's translation taken from TVB News Channel):

[Image: 7pm.jpg][Image: Nighttime.jpg][Image: Signed.jpg]

And the testcard currently running on Ch.78:
youtu.be 

Watch this space...
[-] The following 1 user Likes W. Knight's post:
  • Medianext.MX

And now Ch.78 is on air. This was how it started this morning at 6, headed by i-Cable's vice-Chief:
youtu.be 

The new opening is also seen in Lunchtime News, signed news report and news bulletins.

Programme junction and ident before morning news, without ads in between:
youtu.be 

The lower thirds start with news headlines in red, before swiping to blue COVID info, looping back and forth.

Financial indices are added to the bar later, as seen in the signed news report open:
[Image: Cable%20News%20Signed.png]
The vertical bar on the left is for breaking news, while the right resides the sign language translator.

The disclaimer card for opinions:
youtu.be 

As shown in the pre-launch promo, a new look for Newsroom Live at 1900. Ironically through Cable TV's News Channel, but you get the idea:
youtu.be 

And finally, also on News Channel with old graphics intact, Newsroom Live Nighttime:
youtu.be 

Watch this space...
[-] The following 1 user Likes W. Knight's post:
  • matthieu1221

(21-11-2022, 05:00 PM)W. Knight Wrote:  And now Ch.78 is on air. This was how it started this morning at 6, headed by i-Cable's vice-Chief:
The new opening is also seen in Lunchtime News, signed news report and news bulletins.

Programme junction and ident before morning news, without ads in between:
The lower thirds start with news headlines in red, before swiping to blue COVID info, looping back and forth.

Financial indices are added to the bar later, as seen in the signed news report open:
The vertical bar on the left is for breaking news, while the right resides the sign language translator.

The disclaimer card for opinions:

As shown in the pre-launch promo, a new look for Newsroom Live at 1900. Ironically through Cable TV's News Channel, but you get the idea:

And finally, also on News Channel with old graphics intact, Newsroom Live Nighttime:

I can't be the only one who thinks HK Open TV (and the logo) was much nicer than HOYTV?

The new studio looks much nicer than the old one. A shame the content won't be the same as previously given the muzzling of any investigative reporting as we saw for example with the China Beat team being laid off.

Odd choice imo for iCable to have moved their news channel onto FTA DTT, given how many channels they've lost on their paid packages. It was pretty much the only thing left worth paying for.

Also, I wonder when PCCW/ViuTV/nowTV decide to move their news channel onto FTA DTT. There are many more reasons people would subscribe to now other than the news and business channels.

Edit: here's a video showing how essentially the new channel is a mix of simulcasts from iCable's current pay-package channels
youtu.be 
[-] The following 2 users Like matthieu1221's post:
  • ALV, W. Knight

(21-11-2022, 05:33 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  I can't be the only one who thinks HK Open TV (and the logo) was much nicer than HOYTV?

The new studio looks much nicer than the old one. A shame the content won't be the same as previously given the muzzling of any investigative reporting as we saw for example with the China Beat team being laid off.

Odd choice imo for iCable to have moved their news channel onto FTA DTT, given how many channels they've lost on their paid packages. It was pretty much the only thing left worth paying for.

Also, I wonder when PCCW/ViuTV/nowTV decide to move their news channel onto FTA DTT. There are many more reasons people would subscribe to now other than the news and business channels.

Edit: here's a video showing how essentially the new channel is a mix of simulcasts from iCable's current pay-package channels
youtu.be 
On OpenTV/HoyTV - You're not the only one... Wink

On the new studio - Yeah, it's a shame the old news team never get the opportunity to have their own FTA channel and a better studio. There're definitely gems hiding behind the paywalls. Alas...

Also the old one was to coincide with the News Channels moving to HD in 2015 (!) - way past its prime to be honest.
m.facebook.com 

On i-Cable - it's speculated on local forums that the company is moving beyond cable packages to FTA or even OTT, but I'm not holding my breath here. Really a weird choice to invest more on OTA though, when everyone is switching to streaming.

And on ViuTV - there hasn't been any news on that, but I'd personally welcome anyone coming to the stage than TVB (or worse, CCTV)! Dodgy

Watch this space...

(21-11-2022, 05:55 PM)W. Knight Wrote:  
(21-11-2022, 05:33 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  I can't be the only one who thinks HK Open TV (and the logo) was much nicer than HOYTV?

youtu.be 
On OpenTV/HoyTV - You're not the only one... Wink

On the new studio - Yeah, it's a shame the old news team never get the opportunity to have their own FTA channel and a better studio. There're definitely gems hiding behind the paywalls. Alas...

Also the old one was to coincide with the News Channels moving to HD in 2015 (!) - way past its prime to be honest.
m.facebook.com 

On i-Cable - it's speculated on local forums that the company is moving beyond cable packages to FTA or even OTT, but I'm not holding my breath here. Really a weird choice to invest more on OTA though, when everyone is switching to streaming.

And on ViuTV - there hasn't been any news on that, but I'd personally welcome anyone coming to the stage than TVB (or worse, CCTV)! Dodgy
Would be nice imo if ViuTV could bring over the now news channel but revamp it, would fit with Viu's modernity. News presentation in HK is like how it was on 24/7 news channels 20 years ago. Like many things in HK, it's stuck in the early 2000s. The 30 min news loop gets very tedious very easily.

Also- HK has such a wonderful skyline but barely anybody uses it! (now does in the evenings so does TVB's News Channel only in their flash set). HK EPC forum users have been commenting on how the backdrop is the same grey globe 24/7. A real shame when the new screens are much nicer.

Cable just can't seem to get it right with HOYTV. It's been through three names in a little more than 5 years! (Fantastic TV, HK Open TV and now HOYTV). It's also never really taken off in the ratings, and the programming is lackluster. It's not called ATV 2.0 for no reason!

Cable launching OTT seems unlikely. Even TVB pretty much gave up iirc? Only Viu has been getting things right. A shame though that Viu's (yellow Viu logo, the intl OTT service) shows aren't shown on the local ViuTV (blue logo) and vice versa. There's a lot of refreshing blue Viu TV shows that intl viewers are missing out on, and yellow Viu (K dramas primarily would be worth showing) that aren't shown locally. It's mind-boggling. For once the shows work, but aren't shown on both!
[-] The following 1 user Likes matthieu1221's post:
  • W. Knight