Sky Platform News

(25-01-2024, 09:28 PM)Transmission Wrote:  I've had Sky Stream for a few months now and I can only think of one occasion where I've missed the ability to record - I think it might've been an episode of Taskmaster perhaps where for some reason 'restart programme' wasn't working and the episode hadn't gone up on the Channel 4 app yet either.

Obviously incredibly frustrating when something like that does happen but it's very rare. Most of the time it's very easy and quick to find the stuff we want to watch.

This is exactly my experience too. I honestly don’t think it’s the deal breaker people keep calling it.

The cloud-based recording is already there. We have a trashy Christmas film in our playlist from Movies24 that plays like a recording off the channel.
[-] The following 2 users Like all new phil's post:
  • London Lite, Transmission

I've also got cloud recordings from Legend, W, Challenge and Sky Showcase.

So far having Sky Stream for two months, there hasn't been a single show I haven't been able to watch later either using cloud recordings or VOD.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • interestednovice

(25-01-2024, 09:28 PM)Transmission Wrote:  I've had Sky Stream for a few months now and I can only think of one occasion where I've missed the ability to record - I think it might've been an episode of Taskmaster perhaps where for some reason 'restart programme' wasn't working and the episode hadn't gone up on the Channel 4 app yet either.

Obviously incredibly frustrating when something like that does happen but it's very rare. Most of the time it's very easy and quick to find the stuff we want to watch.

I tend to agree with you in a way: I think it’s more of a perception issue rather than a “real” access to programmes issue. Yes, the playlist will allow you to “record” most things and add them to your personalised programming list, but a large number of people are still so used to the process of traditional “recording” that the lack of it will probably put them off.

So it’s probably still an issue, but maybe more in theory than in practicality.

The issue with recording for me wouldn't be the actual recording, but the playing back. I've got stuff on my PVR hard drive from years ago which we still watch,includig some films that have since moved from terrestrial TV to paid for streaming services. I can still watch them, and until the hard drive dies I always will, it'll never be deleted or locked away becuase it's too old or the licensing had changed.
[-] The following 7 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • AndrewP, Ash101, interestednovice, Jeff, Nobby, Omnipresent, SuperSajuuk

The current controversy surrounding Dragon's Den is another example of why streaming/cloud recording can't always be relied upon. The episode in question has been pulled from iPlayer and may probably never be seen again unless one happens to have it recorded.
[-] The following 3 users Like Larry the Loafer's post:
  • ethanjbrady, interestednovice, Nobby

Yes, that licensing/compliance “we’ve withdrawn it” is a central issue - you control your own recordings, but streaming services host the content themselves so things can come and go all of a sudden.

You also, generally-speaking, only get 30 days to watch something - whereas you can record something today and watch it next July, if you like.
[-] The following 1 user Likes interestednovice's post:
  • benzj

(27-01-2024, 09:01 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  Yes, that licensing/compliance “we’ve withdrawn it” is a central issue - you control your own recordings, but streaming services host the content themselves so things can come and go all of a sudden.

You also, generally-speaking, only get 30 days to watch something - whereas you can record something today and watch it next July, if you like.

In fairness 30 days tends to be the exception now rather than the norm. Its usually only 30 days or less for topical stuff or stuff that has to be restricted. Everything aired from 7:30pm to 10pm last night on BBC One (for example) has availability of more than one year showing on the iPlayer.

But of course digital recordings are all very nice but you only need a hard drive to pack up and that's it, they've all gone. But even then with physical media still risk breaking a disk or damaging some videotape (either externally or when your machine starts eating it) so no such thing as a permanent recording.
[-] The following 4 users Like Neil Jones's post:
  • AndrewP, benzj, interestednovice, London Lite

Good points - but what I mean is that you can only really “assume” that the programme will be there for 30 days as a minimum. Even then, news and some programmes are shorter still and they can simply withdraw programmes because of compliance issues (such as with the recent Dragon’s Den) at no notice at all.
[-] The following 1 user Likes interestednovice's post:
  • Nobby

Sky making significant lay offs, mainly in 'engineering' as streaming services become more popular.

www.lbc.co.uk 

Though it says about the operations department and engineers, the article seems to suggest it's the installation teams rather than broadcast engineers
[-] The following 3 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • AndrewP, interestednovice, RhysJR

Sky News mentioned that of those taking Stream, 80% are new customers who have never had Sky before, so they've clearly found a new revenue stream from households put off by having to have a hole drilled in the wall with a mini dish stuck to the side of the wall or those living in accommodation that doesn't allow dishes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • interestednovice