Sky Platform News

(04-02-2024, 10:12 PM)harshy Wrote:  I just think broadcast pictures via satellite are better then over anything over IP, it’s getting there just not quite though and I am sure anything over IP has a delay as well.

Maybe you've seen 25fps streams that aren't as good. The 50fps streams on Stream beat anything I've seen previously.
[-] The following 2 users Like London Lite's post:
  • harshy, interestednovice

Stream is 31 seconds later than real time however. But 25 seconds behind SD satellite and 27 seconds behind HD and UHD

Lets not forget that there was an added delay when comparing analogue PAL tranmissions and DVB though too, as well as AM/FM compared to DAB. Ultimately it's not that much of a problem and there's few circumstances where you need to be mindful of it.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com

(04-02-2024, 11:03 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  Stream is 31 seconds later than real time however. But 25 seconds behind SD satellite and 27 seconds behind HD and UHD
Stream will be a varying number of seconds behind the same broadcast channel, dependant on the amount of buffering required at that moment.
[-] The following 3 users Like News Engineer's post:
  • AndrewP, interestednovice, London Lite

(05-02-2024, 04:03 PM)News Engineer Wrote:  Stream will be a varying number of seconds behind the same broadcast channel, dependant on the amount of buffering required at that moment.

Thank you for clarification. I always got the impression it was delayed by that much.

When I tried it in 2022 it was 31 seconds late for me at least.

I thought Sky had removed the ITV1 regional versions including UTV except for your home region on LCN 103 on Stream, but they're still there between 8022-8042.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • interestednovice

(09-02-2024, 02:16 PM)London Lite Wrote:  I thought Sky had removed the ITV1 regional versions including UTV except for your home region on LCN 103 on Stream, but they're still there between 8022-8042.

Yes, the difference is that BBC regions are actually on the EPG - whereas ITV regions are only accessible via the right number.
[-] The following 1 user Likes interestednovice's post:
  • Jimbo2022

(09-02-2024, 03:20 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  Yes, the difference is that BBC regions are actually on the EPG - whereas ITV regions are only accessible via the right number.
ITV1/STV regions can be added using the 'Add Channels' function.

The difference is that because of the TVL, all BBC services have to be available to everyone across all platforms on which they are broadcast nationally.

The exceptions are DTT/DCab where you automatically receive only your allocated regional service. They are not nationally distributed.

Because all regional services are broadcast on DSat they are required to allow access to all of them. I may have over simplified that explanation, but I'm sure that's how it was given originally.

(09-02-2024, 10:30 PM)Stuart Wrote:  ITV1/STV regions can be added using the 'Add Channels' function.

The difference is that because of the TVL, all BBC services have to be available to everyone across all platforms on which they are broadcast nationally.

The exceptions are DTT/DCab where you automatically receive only your allocated regional service. They are not nationally distributed.

Because all regional services are broadcast on DSat they are required to allow access to all of them.

STV channels aren't on Stream in the 8000s though. It's only ITV owned regions.

(09-02-2024, 10:32 PM)London Lite Wrote:  STV channels aren't on Stream in the 8000s though. It's only ITV owned regions.
Channel 3 regions are not on the EPG in the 900s. They are only available though the 'Add Channels' feature. STV ones can be added on other Sky services.

The only additional EPG listed C3 broadcasts are the national version of '+1' and I believe the one doing audio description, although that seems to have vanished.