Sky Platform News

Will these channels remain on the same frequency on satellite as it is now with the addition of them being unlocked for FTA Satellite users later today?

(01-11-2022, 06:24 AM)bkman1990 Wrote:  Will these channels remain on the same frequency on satellite as it is now with the addition of them being unlocked for FTA Satellite users later today?

Yes. They're on the ITV owned transponders, so there's no need for them to move.

If they were to move Sky would have required them to dual illuminate the channels on another transponder ahead of the change, which allows Sky platform control to add the new frequencies to their test EPG bouquet first. That hasn't happened, which confirms they're staying where they are.

BT Sport Ultimate has appeared on both Sky Satellite and Stream platforms this week.
[-] The following 2 users Like BcastCornwall's post:
  • bilky asko, bkman1990

Sky are launching a linear channel for their Sky Kids content. Interestingly, it will be ad-free...

www.skygroup.sky 

Well I can't say I'll get used to that.

'Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, don't fog my mind.'

Wasn’t there an existing agreement that prevented this happening previously? Assuming the Paramount/Nickelodeon setup.

Yes. Sky have disposed of their 40% shareholding in Nickelodeon UK in order to launch their own linear Kids channel.

(22-11-2022, 06:06 PM)Jameseh Wrote:  Wasn’t there an existing agreement that prevented this happening previously? Assuming the Paramount/Nickelodeon setup.

From reading the Sky Satellite thread on DS, Sky sold their 40% share and it also explains why Nick channels were moving to transponders carrying Channel 5 services. 

It's paved the way for them to finally launch a Sky Kids channel. Makes sense that it aims for younger children because those channels still get good ratings with parents watching along with their kids.

(22-11-2022, 07:14 PM)Rex Wrote:  
(22-11-2022, 06:06 PM)Jameseh Wrote:  Wasn’t there an existing agreement that prevented this happening previously? Assuming the Paramount/Nickelodeon setup.

From reading the Sky Satellite thread on DS, Sky sold their 40% share and it also explains why Nick channels were moving to transponders carrying Channel 5 services. 

It's paved the way for them to finally launch a Sky Kids channel. Makes sense that it aims for younger children because those channels still get good ratings with parents watching along with their kids.

A more reliable source would be Companies House:
find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk 

The share appears to have been sold at the end of October.
[-] The following 2 users Like Neil Jones's post:
  • bkman1990, Rex

This sorta just makes me think Sky are the modern day Flextech. Barring an obvious omission of a Bravo-esc channel.

Seems interesting to skew 0-7 year olds, but I guess it does make sense as viewing habits have become more younger, and the older kids are now watching stuff on YouTube and Netflix.

And seeing Sky sell off their 40% stake in Nickelodeon UK is a little surprising, but not so much when you realise Sky haven't really had a hand in Nick for a while (except for times where they've helped with transmission of the channel during its early days and also sponsored events like the Kids Choice Awards when that arrived in the UK)
[-] The following 2 users Like Allanbuzzy's post:
  • bkman1990, Roger Darthwell