Sky Platform News

Sky Glass only really makes sense when you need a new TV anyway to my mind.

(27-05-2023, 04:51 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Sky Glass only really makes sense when you need a new TV anyway to my mind.

Even then, the fact the DTT tuner can only be used when the internet is down is a no go. (Yes you could add a Freeview box, but it defeats the objective of having a new tv)

(27-05-2023, 04:16 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Stream is what consumers really wanted.  The ability to have Sky via a home internet connection without the need for drilling a hole in your house to get the dish up while using an existing television and self-install which cuts costs considerably for Sky.
And helps those who CAN'T have a dish - i.e. if you live in a block of flats.

There's no doubt in my mind that Stream is the next generation of Sky (either standalone or built into Glass for people who want that option), with Sky Q still offered as the legacy service for now. Sky's contract with satellite operator SES reportedly expires in 2028.

I do feel like that Sky Glass is a bit of a rip-off, especially now Sky Stream has launched. Why would you buy a whole new television for essentially Sky IPTV when Sky Stream, which can be used on any old television with HDMI. Even NOW, which is essentially Sky Lite, covers a lot of the pay-TV channels most people watch.

(27-05-2023, 06:59 PM)CCFG Wrote:  I do feel like that Sky Glass is a bit of a rip-off, especially now Sky Stream has launched. Why would you buy a whole new television for essentially Sky IPTV when Sky Stream, which can be used on any old television with HDMI. Even NOW, which is essentially Sky Lite, covers a lot of the pay-TV channels most people watch.
I think Sky glass was a proof of concept that happened to be available to the public. Probably it will be phased out in time.

I sometimes think Sky Glass gets a bit of a raw deal. From what I've seen (which admittedly is only a limited amount) it's actually a respectable piece of hardware - obviously you have to set your expectations around the fact it's QLED rather than OLED, but it isn't terrible. But they perhaps overestimated how many people would want to buy a whole new TV, versus simply plugging in the Stream puck.

When Glass was announced, one of the selling points was that the hardware would be periodically updated and subscribers could swap out their TV for the latest version. I do wonder if an enhanced model will ever appear.

I think one thing holding Glass back is they look ever so slightly dated. It’s a bit boxy. A proper thin telly would be much more desirable.

Sky Glass is genuinely a good proof of concept for streaming, but honestly, people will find it more convenient to have a couple of Sky Stream pucks plugged into their existing sets. Really, had they waited a year, and launched the Stream first, then a Sky Glass, I think it would work out a lot better

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]

If Sky do start pushing satellite out of the picture in favour of IPTV, I really hope they incorporate recording into the service. One of my biggest gripes with Glass/Stream is how you're expected to watch whatever you wanted to record on catch up/on demand, regardless if you've subscribed to the service hosting it, if it's being hosted at all. I recall seeing a review on YouTube where reviewer tried to "record" a Nat Geo programme, only to be directed to Disney+, which they didn't subscribe to.

I know streaming is the more popular route nowadays, but I really hate the idea of not being able to record what I want after having the ability to do so for about 20 years.
[-] The following 13 users Like Larry the Loafer's post:
  • AJB39, benzj, bkman1990, ethanjbrady, fatal paper cut, IanJRedman, Jeff, matthieu1221, Nobby, Scrotnig, Spencer, Stuart, TVFan