Corrie

(05-04-2024, 12:53 AM)James2001 Wrote:  Still not as bad as pre-1986 when they had the massive select function room in the pub...

Oh yeah ... the function room that could've also been an extension for The Graffiti Club!

(Which of course disappeared when the Rovers was renovated after the 1986 fire.)

(05-04-2024, 12:53 AM)James2001 Wrote:  Still not as bad as pre-1986 when they had the massive select function room in the pub...

Maybe now we have our in-universe answer: post-fire, that space was converted into a giant kitchen which just wasn’t used for nearly 40 years!

(03-04-2024, 03:39 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  To make the already completely unfeasible dimensions of The Rovers Return even worse, they appear to have added a massive new professional catering kitchen to the set as seen in last nights episode.

I bet the Rovers still has that same red wallpaper though.

(05-04-2024, 01:36 AM)TheGregmeister Wrote:  Oh yeah ... the function room that could've also been an extension for The Graffiti Club!

(Which of course disappeared when the Rovers was renovated after the 1986 fire.)
It was many years before they even attempted to address the issue of the toilets being in Ken Barlow's living room.

The flat above the corner shop is another thing in the show that couldn't possibly fit in the building- and the layout has changed numerous times over the years with rooms and the door into the flat moving around seemingly at random. In the 90s when Ken was living there, the kitchen would have been overhanging the front of the shop, and in the current ITV3 episodes with Sunita living there, it would be sticking out the side. And in modern corrie it seems to be twice as big as it was back then.

It all stems from the fact when the show was created Tony Warren envisioned the pub looking a lot bigger outside than it has been since the exterior set was used. The very different looking pub seen twice in location filming in the 1960’s was what it should look like.

There was an end credit sequence Corrie used in the 1960's that panned down the street and showed a much wider Rovers Return exterior than we see today, and that's quite possibbly how Tony Warren had originally envisioned it to be. I'm sure it was previouslty posted on an old Corrie thread back at the old blue place.

Also, remember when Underworld's interior was seen in the very early 90's? It was the actual interior, and was a fraction of the size of Underworld's current interior.

(05-04-2024, 01:30 PM)TheGregmeister Wrote:  Also, remember when Underworld's interior was seen in the very early 90's? It was the actual interior, and was a fraction of the size of Underworld's current interior.
IIRC it was only when then relocated to the new set at Salford Quays that they started using the real interior of the factory. They have since moved back to that being studio based, and it looks ludicrously large and over-designed for a back street knicker factory wedged between a mechanic's garage and a residential property.

They used the real interior of Underworld well into the 00s- you can see it on the current ITV3 episodes. I'm not sure exactly when it moved into the studio, but it would have been when it massively increased in size and gained an upstairs.

The reason I love the Neighbours reboot is the small cast and lots of fun mixed in with the drama. Plots don’t linger and are not dragged out, Toadie Mel Paul Terese aside. It still has a sense of community and good grounding.
Corrie’s ditched all of that for extra episodes and shock and awe. It’s completely lost any heart and neglected its past.
I’d cut the the episodes, cut the cast and stories and reconnect with its history, only then might it survive.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JexedBack's post:
  • Stuart