Corrie

No different to what the likes of Challenge do, when showing shows of that era with that end credit design.

Pretty much confirms what I've always thought really about all the shows that had those style of credits - its the only copy available (domestically, anyway).

Obviously decided it wasn't worth remaking them for the Classic Corrie strand. Suspect they'd have to make them all manually by "hand" as it were, rather than from a process automated from some metadata somewhere, which may not exist.
[-] The following 3 users Like Neil Jones's post:
  • Happy2001, Ma76, Stuart

Really does show some of the ridiculous things about generic credits- that shows are stuck with the corporate style of the channel that originally showed it at the time it was made, and they can look terrible and unreadable in situations like this. At least when it comes to shown from other countries that use generic credits, there's usually a version with "proper" credits used on repeats, DVDs, international broadcasts etc. but very rarely seems to have been the case with ITV.

Also means they can't do things like EastEnders did this week where they scrolled the credits over the shot of people standing round Dot's grave. Corrie used to do that sort of thing a lot before generic credits came in. It takes a lot of that creative freedom away from the programme makers, whereas even though the BBC and Channel 4 do have guidelines on where text can be placed, they're still in the show's own style, have background pictures and video and allows for one-off variations like this.

There certainly were some shows in the early days of generic credits at least that did have versions with credits in their own style- for example, the earliest episodes of 2001 Crossroads had their own credits on the ITV2 repeats (whereas the original ITV showings had the swirly heart generic style, I think there's a series of Bad Girls which had generic credits on original broadcast, but its own credits on DVDs and repeats), but seemed to be few and far between, and stopped fairly quickly.

Strangely there were a handful of episodes over the Autumn of 2000 after generic credits were introduced which did still have Corrie's old style of credits- the live 40th birthday episode was the last. There was one case where an episode that actually had old style credits on the original ITV showing, but had the generic style on ITV3, and conversely I've seen a recording of the Freshco siege episode from the Canadian screening, which had the generic credits style, but the ITV3 showing had the old style scrolling credits over a shot of the outside of Freshco (not sure how it went out on ITV), which suggests at least some episodes in 2000 must have had both regular and generic credit versions made.

Edit: this video seems to be the two episodes I mentioned, the Freshco siege and the follow up, recorded from the original ITV broadcasts- both have the old-style credits. The ITV3 screening of the second episode had the wavy hearts generic ones.

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 4 users Like James2001's post:
  • CocuGrimshaw2001, DE88, Happy2001, Ma76

I would have thought people on a forum like this would hate the idea of programmes being re-edited and want to see the presentation of the era

Imagine if they edited new credits on and then whilst they were there changed the copyright to “ITV Studios 2002” and changed the Granada endcaps as well
[-] The following 1 user Likes Andrew's post:
  • Ma76

(17-12-2022, 12:09 AM)James2001 Wrote:  There certainly were some shows in the early days of generic credits at least that did have versions with credits in their own style- for example, the earliest episodes of 2001 Crossroads had their own credits on the ITV2 repeats (whereas the original ITV showings had the swirly heart generic style, I think there's a series of Bad Girls which had generic credits on original broadcast, but its own credits on DVDs and repeats), but seemed to be few and far between, and stopped fairly quickly.

That'll be because that style was only ever used on ITV/ITV1. It didn't apply for whatever reason to ITV2 at that time.

While that's true, that was only the case for shows made for ITV2, programmes that were repeated from the main ITV channel (not saying ITV1, as this was before the rebrand), including the other soaps, still had the generic style credits on the ITV2 showings (including the omnibuses, which were only shown on ITV2). Crossroads was unique that it used generic credits on the ITV showing but its own credits on ITV2.

CITV never seemed to be consistent either- some shows had generic credits (at least post 2002, I don't recall any having the heart style ones), some didn't. Not that you'd often see credits in full, even shrunk down, during the IVC era anyway.

CITV has never followed the corporate style for, well anything basically, its always done its own thing. By 2004 a handful of shows had the generic style of the time, but most didn't (MPAA being the obvious example here). And now I noticed purely through channel flipping the other day for CITV its gone back the other way again for whatever it was I caught had a 2021 date on it and has completely its own style credit wise.

(17-12-2022, 12:25 AM)Andrew Wrote:  I would have thought people on a forum like this would hate the idea of programmes being re-edited and want to see the presentation of the era

Imagine if they edited new credits on and then whilst they were there changed the copyright to “ITV Studios 2002” and changed the Granada endcaps as well
Of course I like to see the pres style of the era, but only if left intact, which clearly this isn't.

With the likes of Morse and other classic dramas, they have recreated the credits and included the rather odd copyright to 'ITV Studios 1998' but left in the Carlton logo within the production credits.  I presume there was a particular reason for remaking them.

Are they HD remasters? They have to remake the credits then, as the original credits are on SD video.

Well, I guess they could keep the original credits, but the difference in quality would stand out.

Perhaps ITV are taking notice of comments on here, as I noticed today that the Classic Corrie end credits have reverted to just the condensed font 'smokey' version, rather than including a 'double squeeze' with the ITVX ECP. Big Grin

(21-12-2022, 07:13 PM)Stuart Wrote:  Perhaps ITV are taking notice of comments on here, as I noticed today that the Classic Corrie end credits have reverted to just the condensed font 'smokey' version, rather than including a 'double squeeze' with the ITVX ECP. Big Grin

More likely somebody has noticed at some point (maybe by watching? Smile) and removed the marker/whatever it is that triggers the ECPs on playout.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • Ma76