Commonwealth Games 2022

They’re promising a very special guest at the end of ceremony. So it’s going to be The Queen or the bull?

Edit: it sounds like the guest is going to be musical.

TV audio doesn’t seem any better than the opening ceremony.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • UTVLifer

(08-08-2022, 08:20 PM)Jon Wrote:  They’re promising a very special guest at the end of ceremony. So it’s going to be The Queen or the bull?

That’s exactly what I was just thinking, it would certainly bring the house down for the Queen to make a surprise appearance.

Just like with the OC, I can't help but feel like it would have benefited visually if this was taking place after dark

Struggling to think of any other big artists from the area that haven't already appeared or will be appearing. Could be Harry Styles at a (real) stretch!

(08-08-2022, 08:44 PM)gottago Wrote:  Struggling to think of any other big artists from the area that haven't already appeared or will be appearing. Could be Harry Styles at a (real) stretch!
Is it too early for Merry Christmas Everybody?

I always enjoy the commentary double act of Hazel and Andrew, them constantly trying to outstat the other

This is going to sound like a bit of a stupid question, however all I can remember from the Gold Coast CC in 2018 was that it wasn't very good, but does anyone know what are the formalities we have to get through tonight (I'm assuming they'll be a handover to Victoria 2026 at some point)?

They’ll be a handover. Not sure if Victoria will be present the handover to Birmingham was from Victoria Square. Although that must have been put together at short notice.

And of course the Olympic handover to Paris was much the same, so it might just be seen as the way to do them now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • UTVLifer

Speaking of the handover to Victoria, I wonder when we'll see these games grace our shores again in the future? They've definitely been an escape from everything that's going on in this country and indeed around the world at this present time...

The BBC have done a great job covering these games, what with the studio in the heart of Birmingham and the ability to have presenters in each venue it's certainly had a similar spark to London 2012. The games have also had the benefit of the BBC holding the UK rights meaning we get all of the online streams for each sport too - something that is greatly missed with the Olympics now that Eurosport/Discovery have those rights.
[-] The following 3 users Like brioalex's post:
  • Jon, thePineapple, UTVLifer

You’d think other UK cities will be keen to host soon after this. There aren’t many countries that are capable/willing to host these games outside of the UK and Aus. But it’s the closest to hosting an Olympics you can get without hosting the Olympics but not many cities want that either these days.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jon's post:
  • brioalex, Rijowhi, UTVLifer

Time for the formalities - first with the BOCOG President followed by the CGF President.

Presumably the Victoria handover will happen after the speeches

(08-08-2022, 09:26 PM)Jon Wrote:  You’d think other UK cities will be keen to host soon after this. There aren’t many countries that are capable/willing to host these games outside of the UK and Aus. But it’s the closest to hosting an Olympics you can get without hosting the Olympics but not many cities want that either these days.

I would hazard a bet that the 2030 Games will return to Canada for the centenary of the Commonwealth Games, though that's assuming Canada don't end up hosting the Winter Olympics for year. But beyond 2030, I wouldn't be surprised if the UK end up hosting the games again
[-] The following 1 user Likes UTVLifer's post:
  • brioalex

(08-08-2022, 09:26 PM)Jon Wrote:  You’d think other UK cities will be keen to host soon after this. There aren’t many countries that are capable/willing to host these games outside of the UK and Aus. But it’s the closest to hosting an Olympics you can get without hosting the Olympics but not many cities want that either these days.

Absolutely! My guess for future UK host cities would probably be Liverpool or Cardiff...
[-] The following 1 user Likes brioalex's post:
  • UTVLifer