The Simpsons

(07-12-2022, 10:12 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  
(07-12-2022, 01:50 PM)nwtv2003 Wrote:  I believe The Simpsons only switched to Seven not that long ago, I believe the rights switched not long after Network Ten went bankrupt a few years ago. I don’t believe the show is on Seven itself and is on one of the spin offs, 7Flix I think?
The thread linked in the first post does mention 7Flix, yeah.

Network 10 went bust? That doesn't sound right - they're owned by Paramount (formerly ViacomCBS) - like our Channel 5.
The original company who owned 10 went bankrupt but it was CBS Corporation who bought them.,

It went into Administration and that how CBS brought the company .

Quick question, whenever or if ever Sky lose rights to the show, will Channel 4 get first-run rights to new episodes, or does that go to Disney+? (I know with Family Guy, ITV2 is now second-run as I think they're airing Series 20, when that's already fully available on Disney+)

(08-12-2022, 06:22 PM)CCFG Wrote:  Quick question, whenever or if ever Sky lose rights to the show, will Channel 4 get first-run rights to new episodes, or does that go to Disney+? (I know with Family Guy, ITV2 is now second-run as I think they're airing Series 20, when that's already fully available on Disney+)

First run would go straight to Disney+. This happened in Australia - Channel 7 lost first run rights but kept the second run.

(08-12-2022, 06:22 PM)CCFG Wrote:  Quick question, whenever or if ever Sky lose rights to the show, will Channel 4 get first-run rights to new episodes, or does that go to Disney+? (I know with Family Guy, ITV2 is now second-run as I think they're airing Series 20, when that's already fully available on Disney+)

I think it’d be more likely Disney+ would get first run rights, as ultimately the show still sells and is one of the reasons why a number of people pay for Disney+. (Including yours truly) As you say they’ve done it with Family Guy since last year. 

To be honest I’m amazed Sky still have first run episodes considering how long Disney+ has been around. There were questions over how long Sky would retain The Simpsons for when Disney+ first launched in the UK, I’m amazed it’s still on Sky. But given it’s only on Sky Showcase (not Sky Max or Sky Comedy) is quite telling over the type of contract they must have. 

If they were to disappear from Sky, I could imagine the gap for Channel 4 to shorten from 4 years.

(08-12-2022, 06:35 PM)nwtv2003 Wrote:  To be honest I’m amazed Sky still have first run episodes considering how long Disney+ has been around. There were questions over how long Sky would retain The Simpsons for when Disney+ first launched in the UK, I’m amazed it’s still on Sky. But given it’s only on Sky Showcase (not Sky Max or Sky Comedy) is quite telling over the type of contract they must have.

What more does it tell other than it's on the same EPG slot it's been on for decades, the first Sky channel listed, on Sky 106?
[-] The following 1 user Likes bilky asko's post:
  • TVFan

Do we even know what type of deal Sky have The Simpsons? If Channel 4 supposedly have a deal for the lifespan of the show, I wouldn’t imagine Sky have any different sort of deal especially considering the fact that one of the reasons they’ve held the rights for so long is surely because of their former relationship to the Fox Network.

(09-12-2022, 03:53 PM)Jon Wrote:  Do we even know what type of deal Sky have The Simpsons? If Channel 4 supposedly have a deal for the lifespan of the show, I wouldn’t imagine Sky have any different sort of deal especially considering the fact that one of the reasons they’ve held the rights for so long is surely because of their former relationship to the Fox Network.
I have no idea. I would have also thought that Sky's deal would be life-of-series, but according to people supposedly in the know, it is not. To be honest I expect any former connections between Fox and Sky are now completely irrelevant to whether or not the latter continues to air The Simpsons.

(20-12-2022, 06:52 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(09-12-2022, 03:53 PM)Jon Wrote:  Do we even know what type of deal Sky have The Simpsons? If Channel 4 supposedly have a deal for the lifespan of the show, I wouldn’t imagine Sky have any different sort of deal especially considering the fact that one of the reasons they’ve held the rights for so long is surely because of their former relationship to the Fox Network.
I have no idea. I would have also thought that Sky's deal would be life-of-series, but according to people supposedly in the know, it is not. To be honest I expect any former connections between Fox and Sky are now completely irrelevant to whether or not the latter continues to air The Simpsons.

Much like we saw when Hour of Power was a thing on Sunday mornings, the agreement for airing that (which Murdoch bankrolled) continued until it expired (a good three years or so after Comcast took over) and somebody decided not to renew that deal. Not that it matters for that because it is now on TBN in a more prominent slot (Saturday 7:30pm) and that channel is on Freeview.

Which probably means if Sky want to keep Simpsons when the deal runs out they'll have to mud wrestle with everybody else who waves their wallet around after it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • Ma76

Channel 4 have just aired the entire "Streetcar" musical intact (including the New Orelans lyrics) for probably the first time since 2005.
[-] The following 2 users Like Hybrid's post:
  • bkman1990, Kojak