5 News

The best era for 5 News was, IMO, when it started. So dynamic, so innovative, so unlike anything ever seen before... or since. I particularly loved the breakfast show - there was a very anarchic (yet somehow still at least vaguely serious) spirit that was perfect for that time of the morning. Sort of a cross between The Big Breakfast and Sky News. Some great behind the scenes videos below that I think sum it up:

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 6 users Like Kojak's post:
  • Brekkie, DE88, fanoftv, PWD, Roger Darthwell, watchingtv

I think 5 News Early was similar in style to the current morning shows on KTLA and WGN Chicago where they mix serious and light together.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • mouseboy33

(27-02-2023, 06:26 PM)Pips2022 Wrote:  Not much chat about this prog on here of late.

Have to say it seriously struggles with just one presenter for the entire hour- tonight it’s Tess Chapman, although some of her colleagues have a bit more spark. It’s a situation presumably caused by Dan’s bike incident, but it makes for a rather dry hour that is a slog to watch.

Although in it's co-hosted format I've found 5 News hard to watch since it expanded to an hour - they probably just don't have the budget to do it justice.    The ITV Evening News meanwhile seems to manage it well and use their extra time effectively.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Superman1986

(27-02-2023, 09:30 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  
(27-02-2023, 06:26 PM)Pips2022 Wrote:  Not much chat about this prog on here of late.

Have to say it seriously struggles with just one presenter for the entire hour- tonight it’s Tess Chapman, although some of her colleagues have a bit more spark. It’s a situation presumably caused by Dan’s bike incident, but it makes for a rather dry hour that is a slog to watch.

Although in it's co-hosted format I've found 5 News hard to watch since it expanded to an hour - they probably just don't have the budget to do it justice.    The ITV Evening News meanwhile seems to manage it well and use their extra time effectively.
I wonder if there would be a case (and I think you have suggested similar yourself in the past) for returning to the half-hour bulletin, but in return restoring the hourly updates throughout the day? Could be a useful service, what with BBC News 24 effectively closing down.

I do think that offers a point of difference and although perhaps not the factor it was can help bring in a channel hopping audience who might find a bulletin at the top of the hour and stick with the subsequent programme (although of course others will see "news" and move straight on!).

Do we know how the ratings have been over the last year or so - been three factors really that have changed over the last year or so with the expansion to an hour, bringing in Dan Walker and also the loss of Neighbours as the lead out. Neighbours itself may not have been deemed profitable but I'd imagine it acted as a bit of a loss leader bringing people to the channel daily who otherwise wouldn't be watching, especially when it was paired up with the news in the 5pm hour.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Kojak

(27-02-2023, 08:49 PM)London Lite Wrote:  I think 5 News Early was similar in style to the current morning shows on KTLA and WGN Chicago where they mix serious and light together.

Still one of the funniest clips. What makes it even funnier is that Tom Skilling is literally the nicest man ever and he has a really happy demeanor on tv and its said he is reportedly the highest paid local tv meteorologist in the nation. He's been around a while. When WGN was a Superstation people all over used to tune for his forcasts because they were extremely comprehensive (probably a bit too much, but that was part of its charm), especially farmers across the central states.
www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes mouseboy33's post:
  • TVFan

(28-02-2023, 01:47 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Do we know how the ratings have been over the last year or so
As a sample week (albeit half term for many)
13th Feb 378,000, 5.4% share, 34th most watched programme of the week on C5
14th Feb less than 292,000
15th Feb 342,000, 4.8% share, 37th most watched programme of the week on C5
16th Feb 295,000, 3.9% share, 49th most watched programme of the week on C5
17th Feb 302,000, 4.2% share, 47th most watched programme of the week on C5

Outrated 1600 programming every day and 1800 programming 3 days

From www.thinkbox.tv 
[-] The following 2 users Like excel99's post:
  • Brekkie, London Lite

I suspect Channel 5 isn't likely to cut 5 News to half an hour, the cost to fill that extra half an hour would be more than what an hour of 5 News likely costs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes XIII's post:
  • Superman1986

I thought Dani Sinha had moved to ITV News, but she was back on 5 News this evening.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • Superman1986

(01-03-2023, 04:35 PM)XIII Wrote:  I suspect Channel 5 isn't likely to cut 5 News to half an hour, the cost to fill that extra half an hour would be more than what an hour of 5 News likely costs.

They'd probably just push the afternoon schedule back half an hour and then add Jeremy Vine Extra Extra to fill the half hour.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • PJamo, Superman1986