5 News

To be fair they’ve hardly thrown any expense over the theme tune which hasn’t changed for well over a decade and was very much associated the Princess era Wright Stuff. I don’t think the studio has changed since the programme has been with ITN.
[-] The following 2 users Like nwtv2003's post:
  • bkman1990, DeMarkay

(13-05-2023, 08:37 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  I don't get why anyone would want to watch it on demand (or live for that matter) but now they're sensibly splitting it up into three shows the running time shouldn't be the issue.

Perhaps a cost vs return exercise - it's so little watched on demand it's not worth C5 putting up?

The daytime Channel 5 schedule now looks like a radio station’s listings, what with there being three programmes that are just the presenter’s full names

Just missing the news bulletins.

At least Milkshake seems safe for now and they add the hours at the end, not the beginning. Guess Peppa Pig > Jeremy Vine.

(13-05-2023, 07:38 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Just missing the news bulletins. 

At least Milkshake seems safe for now and they add the hours at the end, not the beginning.  Guess Peppa Pig > Jeremy Vine.
Peppa Pig is more informative! I know you jest, but I expect there will be at least one news bulletin as they’ll need somewhere to put the lunchtime news flash.

The complaining on here is insufferable.

Channel 5, a small channel with a small budget, is providing new programming in the morning and into the afternoon.

What would you rather? Endless repeats of tired sitcoms. If so, turn to Channel 4.
[-] The following 9 users Like chris's post:
  • bkman1990, Bungo Bill, CATV, itsrobert, Jeff, Joe, PERMOTIO, Roger Darthwell, XIII

(13-05-2023, 07:41 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(13-05-2023, 07:38 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Just missing the news bulletins. 

At least Milkshake seems safe for now and they add the hours at the end, not the beginning.  Guess Peppa Pig > Jeremy Vine.
Peppa Pig is more informative! I know you jest, but I expect there will be at least one news bulletin as they’ll need somewhere to put the lunchtime news flash.
I'd assume the lunchtime news update will be integrated into the Alexis Conran show.

The cynic in me thinks they're doing all of these extra current affairs hours to try and get the 5pm bulletin reduced to 30 mins.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • Kojak

5 News at Lunchtime is in the Channel 5 schedule as a standalone programme at 1340
[-] The following 2 users Like excel99's post:
  • bkman1990, London Lite

(14-05-2023, 01:34 PM)excel99 Wrote:  5 News at Lunchtime is in the Channel 5 schedule as a standalone programme at 1340

I doubt they'll have much time to recast the set after Alexis Conran finishes, so it may well be a tight shot of the newsreader from the Vine set.
[-] The following 2 users Like London Lite's post:
  • bkman1990, Roger Darthwell

I assume there’s an Ofcom reason why it has to be separate.

I don’t think all this phone-in cheapo TV is an attempt to cut-back on news. C5 seems to struggle to fill some of its early evening schedule if anything. Finding something for 1730-1800 would just create another headache, plus the 5pm does OK for them and has been grown its share marginally according to Dan Walker’s recent tweets.

(14-05-2023, 06:02 PM)Pips2022 Wrote:  I assume there’s an Ofcom reason why it has to be separate.

I don’t think all this phone-in cheapo TV is an attempt to cut-back on news. C5 seems to struggle to fill some of its early evening schedule  if anything. Finding something for 1730-1800 would just create another headache, plus the 5pm does OK for them and has been grown its share marginally according to Dan Walker’s recent tweets.
Wasn't there that programme they used to show at 5.30? Some soap from Australia - wasn't it called Neighbours? Anyway, I hear it's coming back. Wink

In all seriousness, I am not convinced the hour-long bulletin is going anywhere fast. I believe the reason 5pm was extended in the first place was as a concession to Ofcom for removing the 6.30 news (which nobody watched anyway). I can't see Ofcom looking too kindly on C5, were they to shirk these commitments so soon.