TV Predictions 2023

Yeah, I wouldn't expect the coronation to be on any channels that didn't show the funeral.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JAS84's post:
  • markdsz5

(27-12-2022, 08:41 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  It was announced somewhere that Sky have renewed their satellite leases until 2027 I think it was, so the suggestion earlier in the thread about Sky dropping that and pushing Sky Stream or Signature as their "lead" is a non starter until then at the earliest.

Tis a fair point, however there's a number of factors that should be considered. I should clarify that I did not suggest a total end to satellite services as of course it is used for Freesat and many free-to-air channels based at 28.2deg and imply that they might heavily reduce the number of transponders they operate now that there is HD switchover in effect, VOD replacing Sky box office and by then possibly the cinema channels. It's not hard to notice streaming services (e.g. Disney+) cannibalising its movies service and it's somewhat unclear what the market will look like in a few years. With Discovery, VIAPLAY and others, Sports could be going the same way often long cited as the glue that retains subscribers.

Comcast is a cable company and its background and resources lend itself to developing Sky broadband as means of a delivery platform. Stream/Glass could be used as a way to market Sky Broadband by tying these up into a bundled package alongside a sky Mobile SIM similar to BTTV. Instead of a TV first approach, For example the Glass TV could become effectively free and "rented" to you for as long as you remain in contract with the broadband. Let's be honest, there is currently little value to owning the TV outright as it mainly relies on the subscription features. Seemingly there has been some amount churn with some of those who have it tried it, have eventually returned it.

In its current marketing, Sky are preferring to push the Sky glass/stream, when was the last advert for SkyQ shown? its other marketing actives revolve around its content e.g. Sky Store, Sports, Cinema and Entertainment. Along with Now TV, I dare say the streaming first approach is well underway. Go to the Sky homepage at the moment, the only Q reference is for Q-lite. everything is pushing stream, glass and broadband.

By the time the leases are up, SkyQ will be over 10 years old and its hardware will be a limiting factor. the Entertainment OS used by both Glass and Stream appears to be fundamentally different to the one on SkyQ, it does not make sense to develop 2 ecosystems with the associated support and development costs. It is clear that there are divergent issues e.g. support for ITVX. It could be they do a BT of it and launch a hybrid box that can do satellite and streaming but there will become a point it reaches in the product lifecycle where costs to support are too high. Not to mention the costs saved by not having to install and maintain satellite dishes. The argument for the boxes still working e.g. SkyHD is there will become a point where software updates cease.

The lifetime of the actual satellites themselves is also coming up around the same time, having launched around 2012-2015 with a mission duration of 15 years. So the orbital position could look very different in years to come.
[-] The following 6 users Like cable's post:
  • bkman1990, Blubatt, Kojak, London Lite, Ma76, TVFan

(28-12-2022, 03:39 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Yeah, I wouldn't expect the coronation to be on any channels that didn't show the funeral.

Alright, then let's spice this up a wee bit. Coverage will be on the BBC from 6am-9pm. Live Breakfast Coverage from Westminster Abbey, with an extended Breakfast programme. Same for GMB/This Morning. Actual Coronation coverage on the BBC will start around 12. Sky will do the same as the BBC, having all its programmes broadcast from Westminster Abbey. Expect a lot of commentary on the guests arriving, including all the former Prime Ministers, David Beckham, Gary Barlow will also be there. 

I also wouldn't put it past Channel 5 to put on 'A Knight's Tale', or some CGI animated Paramount movie. Channel 4 will largely put out a normal schedule, albeit Steph's Packed Lunch replaced with some movie.

Oh, and that Monday's EastEnders will have a street party.

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]

(28-12-2022, 11:49 PM)cable Wrote:  
(27-12-2022, 08:41 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  It was announced somewhere that Sky have renewed their satellite leases until 2027 I think it was, so the suggestion earlier in the thread about Sky dropping that and pushing Sky Stream or Signature as their "lead" is a non starter until then at the earliest.

Tis a fair point, however there's a number of factors that should be considered. I should clarify that I did not suggest a total end to satellite services as of course it is used for Freesat and many free-to-air channels based at 28.2deg and imply that they might heavily reduce the number of transponders they operate now that there is HD switchover in effect, VOD replacing Sky box office and by then possibly the cinema channels. It's not hard to notice streaming services (e.g. Disney+) cannibalising its movies service and it's somewhat unclear what the market will look like in a few years. With Discovery, VIAPLAY and others, Sports could be going the same way often long cited as the glue that retains subscribers.

Comcast is a cable company and its background and resources lend itself to developing Sky broadband as means of a delivery platform. Stream/Glass could be used as a way to market Sky Broadband by tying these up into a bundled package alongside a sky Mobile SIM similar to BTTV. Instead of a TV first approach, For example the Glass TV could become effectively free and "rented" to you for as long as you remain in contract with the broadband. Let's be honest, there is currently little value to owning the TV outright as it mainly relies on the subscription features. Seemingly there has been some amount churn with some of those who have it tried it, have eventually returned it.

In its current marketing, Sky are preferring to push the Sky glass/stream, when was the last advert for SkyQ shown? its other marketing actives revolve around its content e.g. Sky Store, Sports, Cinema and Entertainment. Along with Now TV, I dare say the streaming first approach is well underway. Go to the Sky homepage at the moment, the only Q reference is for Q-lite. everything is pushing stream, glass and broadband.

By the time the leases are up, SkyQ will be over 10 years old and its hardware will be a limiting factor. the Entertainment OS used by both Glass and Stream appears to be fundamentally different to the one on SkyQ, it does not make sense to develop 2 ecosystems with the associated support and development costs. It is clear that there are divergent issues e.g. support for ITVX. It could be they do a BT of it and launch a hybrid box that can do satellite and streaming but there will become a point it reaches in the product lifecycle where costs to support are too high. Not to mention the costs saved by not having to install and maintain satellite dishes. The argument for the boxes still working e.g. SkyHD is there will become a point where software updates cease.

The lifetime of the actual satellites themselves is also coming up around the same time, having launched around 2012-2015 with a mission duration of 15 years. So the orbital position could look very different in years to come.
Remember that it took Sky only three years from the launch of digital to shut down their analogue services completely (and less than two to shut down the BSB satellites!). I wouldn't be at all surprised if come 2027 the legacy satellite service is closed down (or much less likely, they renew the lease and a reduced service is maintained for a few more years).
(29-12-2022, 12:41 AM)Blubatt Wrote:  I also wouldn't put it past Channel 5 to put on 'A Knight's Tale', or some CGI animated Paramount movie.
Why 'A Knight's Tale' specifically, Blubatt? It's a great film, don't get me wrong - just wondered why you said that particular film.

For new year I would like to see Paramount+/SkyShowtime and WBD’s new Max streaming service expanded to Asia Pacific.

Isn't it just a rumour that the merged HBO Max/Discovery+ will be called Max?

(29-12-2022, 01:51 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Isn't it just a rumour that the merged HBO Max/Discovery+ will be called Max?

Wait and see….

Perhaps it should have a Peter Kay inspired name... maybe Warner brothers has got the Max factor or possibly shudder all my iplayer xhub OD prime flix plus peacockhulu Premium now Showtime
[-] The following 2 users Like cable's post:
  • Ma76, Superman1986

(29-12-2022, 12:57 AM)Kojak Wrote:  
(28-12-2022, 11:49 PM)cable Wrote:  Tis a fair point, however there's a number of factors that should be considered. I should clarify that I did not suggest a total end to satellite services as of course it is used for Freesat and many free-to-air channels based at 28.2deg and imply that they might heavily reduce the number of transponders they operate now that there is HD switchover in effect, VOD replacing Sky box office and by then possibly the cinema channels. It's not hard to notice streaming services (e.g. Disney+) cannibalising its movies service and it's somewhat unclear what the market will look like in a few years. With Discovery, VIAPLAY and others, Sports could be going the same way often long cited as the glue that retains subscribers.

Remember that it took Sky only three years from the launch of digital to shut down their analogue services completely (and less than two to shut down the BSB satellites!). I wouldn't be at all surprised if come 2027 the legacy satellite service is closed down (or much less likely, they renew the lease and a reduced service is maintained for a few more years).
(29-12-2022, 12:41 AM)Blubatt Wrote:  I also wouldn't put it past Channel 5 to put on 'A Knight's Tale', or some CGI animated Paramount movie.
Why 'A Knight's Tale' specifically, Blubatt? It's a great film, don't get me wrong - just wondered why you said that particular film.
Tenuous link to royalty via the whole aspect of knights. Any film with arthurian mythology really. The King and I as well would fit into this.

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Blubatt's post:
  • Kojak, Rijowhi

Axed:

The Wall
Catchpoint
Epic Gameshow
8 Out of 10 Cats

Reboots:

Strike It Lucky
Chain Letters
Taggart