BBC TV Christmas 2022 Programmes

(31-12-2022, 12:25 PM)Ash101 Wrote:  I do wonder at times like this what value the BBC Scotland channel really has? Because this evening, they're simulcasting the Hogmanay show on BBC One Scotland & basically making up their own NYE schedule.

So while Network is running:
17:45 - Pointless Celebrities
18:35 - The Weakest Link
19:20 - Yesterday (Film)
21:10 - That's My Jam
22:10 - News
22:25 - Graham Norton NYE Show
23:30 - Sam Ryder Party 1
00:00 - Happy New Year Live
00:10 - Sam Ryder Part 2
00:45 - Big Eurovision Party

Scotland has:
17:45 - The Edit
18:20 - River City
18:50 - Pointless Celebrities
19:40 - Yesterday (Film)
21:30 - News
21:50 - Hogmanay Preview
22:00 - Ooh The Banter
23:00 - Queen of the New Year
23:30 - Hogmanay
00:30 - Graham Norton NYE Show
01:30 - Big Eurovision Party

I wonder how the 21:30 news will work for Scotland? Will BBC News produce two national bulletins? One then & another at 22:10 for everywhere else?
I mean, let’s be honest: a) it’s catering for a different audience albeit retaining some content that is just universally applicable and then b) BBC Scotland is about establishing a foothold in Scotland as a national broadcaster at a time when it’s never seemed more realistic to assume that it will be a separate country at some point.

(31-12-2022, 12:44 PM)Matrix Wrote:  
(31-12-2022, 12:25 PM)Ash101 Wrote:  I do wonder at times like this what value the BBC Scotland channel really has? Because this evening, they're simulcasting the Hogmanay show on BBC One Scotland & basically making up their own NYE schedule.

So while Network is running:
17:45 - Pointless Celebrities
18:35 - The Weakest Link
19:20 - Yesterday (Film)
21:10 - That's My Jam
22:10 - News
22:25 - Graham Norton NYE Show
23:30 - Sam Ryder Party 1
00:00 - Happy New Year Live
00:10 - Sam Ryder Part 2
00:45 - Big Eurovision Party

Scotland has:
17:45 - The Edit
18:20 - River City
18:50 - Pointless Celebrities
19:40 - Yesterday (Film)
21:30 - News
21:50 - Hogmanay Preview
22:00 - Ooh The Banter
23:00 - Queen of the New Year
23:30 - Hogmanay
00:30 - Graham Norton NYE Show
01:30 - Big Eurovision Party

I wonder how the 21:30 news will work for Scotland? Will BBC News produce two national bulletins? One then & another at 22:10 for everywhere else?
I mean, let’s be honest: a) it’s catering for a different audience albeit retaining some content that is just universally applicable and then b) BBC Scotland is about establishing a foothold in Scotland as a national broadcaster at a time when it’s never seemed more realistic to assume that it will be a separate country at some point.
In an independent Scotland I’m sure BBC Scotland would morph into a separate entity, the main channel of which will more or less be BBC One albeit without their News output and more Scotland focus programming.

(31-12-2022, 12:44 PM)Matrix Wrote:  I mean, let’s be honest: a) it’s catering for a different audience albeit retaining some content that is just universally applicable and then b) BBC Scotland is about establishing a foothold in Scotland as a national broadcaster at a time when it’s never seemed more realistic to assume that it will be a separate country at some point.
Yes, it is amazing how little commentary on BBC Scotland ignores the twin crucial facts that a) its existence is largely political and b) the current BBC One Scotland + BBC Scotland arrangement has a budget roughly identical to the previous BBC One Scotland + BBC Two Scotland arrangement. It's almost entirely a signal saying 'we can serve Scotland perfectly well, please don't ditch us on independence (and slash our licence income by nearly 10%)'.

(31-12-2022, 12:25 PM)Ash101 Wrote:  I wonder how the 21:30 news will work for Scotland? Will BBC News produce two national bulletins? One then & another at 22:10 for everywhere else?
I don't think this would be wholly unheard of. It's certainly not the norm, but there have often been a few weekends a year when Scotland has taken a second version of a weekend bulletin due to different schedules.
[-] The following 2 users Like DTV's post:
  • Jeff, Roger Darthwell

(31-12-2022, 02:02 PM)DTV Wrote:  Yes, it is amazing how little commentary on BBC Scotland ignores the twin crucial facts that a) its existence is largely political and b) the current BBC One Scotland + BBC Scotland arrangement has a budget roughly identical to the previous BBC One Scotland + BBC Two Scotland arrangement. It's almost entirely a signal saying 'we can serve Scotland perfectly well, please don't ditch us on independence (and slash our licence income by nearly 10%)'.

To be honest I think that Scotland has been served worse since this arrangement.......

Its not uncommon for BBC Scotland to get a Sperate News bulletin around this time of year. This also happens over on the other side with STV.

For years ITN and BBC had to go two different bulletins to keep both sides of the border happy.

The BBC Scotland channel exists on a technicality whereby to fulfil its remit 50% of programming needs to have been commissioned for the channel. It doesn't say anything about this content having to be first-run though so bar the news the channel could be full of repeats, which isn't far off from what it actually is. Viewer numbers have been massaged with Still Game on a constant loop and the likes of Guilt which may have premiered on BBC Scotland but if it hadn't been co-produced to be shown on BBC2 then it wouldn't have been made at all.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tellyblues's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

(01-01-2023, 02:11 AM)tellyblues Wrote:  The BBC Scotland channel exists on a technicality whereby to fulfil its remit 50% of programming needs to have been commissioned for the channel. It doesn't say anything about this content having to be first-run though so bar the news the channel could be full of repeats, which isn't far off from what it actually is. Viewer numbers have been massaged with Still Game on a constant loop and the likes of Guilt which may have premiered on BBC Scotland but if it hadn't been co-produced to be shown on BBC2 then it wouldn't have been made at all.

The channel is a complete overkill to issues raised from people complaints. The public wanted a Scottish Six... That was all nothing else, and the powers at be come back with something that was never asked for.

It also felt half its shows felt like pilots for the network. STV Glasgow did a better job with a smaller budget,
[-] The following 1 user Likes Milkshake's post:
  • Roger Darthwell