BBC TV Christmas 2022 Programmes

It doesn't deserve another special never mind a series. Ratings are down but MBB has lost more of its audience compared to other shows.

The BBC have totally messed up here because O'Carroll has too much control. Realistically, he could sit and do nothing for the next four years because he thinks the show isn't good enough to be made, and what can the BBC do?

If there's one thing that sums up the Christmas telly this year, its 'Streaming first'. The programmes are all spread out because they are made for streaming on iPlayer or ITVX. Stuff you'd think would be on for Christmas Day have been airing surprisingly early, to the point where you have repeats on Christmas Day. Of course, hoarding all your best stuff for one day isn't viable either, but you could have stacked up Christmas Eve and Boxing Day with some good stuff.

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]

MBB also had a set refresh of the kitchen and living room areas which made it even more drab.

Casting has been another issue with him axing the Rory and Dino characters, which has seen a steady decline in the quality of the comedy and the recasting of Rory was a disaster.

An olive branch to Rory Cowan (the original Rory) and Gary Hollywood would go some way to resolving some of the issues.

(27-12-2022, 04:01 PM)London Lite Wrote:  MBB also had a set refresh of the kitchen and living room areas which made it even more drab.

And they've started sticking a film look on it, which also significantly changes the feel of the show, not for the better.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • London Lite

(24-12-2022, 07:28 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  
(24-12-2022, 08:45 AM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Yes but technically that's the Royal Christmas Message, which makes it gender neutral (though i suspect that's been sort of lost due to the length of the reign of The Queen).

The first TV pre-recorded message was 1959.  The monarch used to do these live (apart from George VI's last one which he did record in advance).
Yes it's never called the Queens/Kings Speech - that is the name given to the one he/she makes to open Parliament. 

It's either the Christmas message or more commonly in the schedules as just 'The Queen' or 'The King' 

Going back to it being a radio broadcast, until fairly recently the radio version went out at 11am and the TV at 3pm. I think it was only when it got shared between BBC and ITN that it became simulcast. I think there's still a different radio version for obvious reasons

I just picked a random year in BBC Genome to see, and in 1991, Radio 4 broadcast what the Radio Times billed as "The Queen's Speech" at 9am. It stayed there until 1998, when it had a year at 4pm, and it's been at 3pm since. (Not a strict TV simulcast - I believe the radio edit is slightly different.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes thegeek's post:
  • Ma76

(27-12-2022, 06:28 PM)CATV Wrote:  First of all Mrs Brown Boys is a co production. BBC Studios being one of them. So the BBC have got some control.

Secondly we don't know the deal that is in place. I am sure in the same article it also said MBB would be on at 10pm but this year it was on at 10:35pm (which is late to be fair).

O'Carroll said in 2020 when the contract was first drawn up that it states that MBB has to be shown on Christmas Day otherwise a show doesn't have to be produced. Yes, the show may not have aired dead on 10pm since but it did in 2020.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tellyblues's post:
  • London Lite

(27-12-2022, 04:28 PM)James2001 Wrote:  
(27-12-2022, 04:01 PM)London Lite Wrote:  MBB also had a set refresh of the kitchen and living room areas which made it even more drab.

And they've started sticking a film look on it, which also significantly changes the feel of the show, not for the better.

I watched in SD and the filmic look really does look dreadful in such a low resolution.

General programme discussion has been moved into this dedicated thread from the BBC TV Christmas 2022 thread in the Presentation forum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Admin PC's post:
  • Happy2001

(27-12-2022, 07:39 PM)London Lite Wrote:  
(27-12-2022, 04:28 PM)James2001 Wrote:  And they've started sticking a film look on it, which also significantly changes the feel of the show, not for the better.

I watched in SD and the filmic look really does look dreadful in such a low resolution.

It looks dreadful in HD too, it really isn't a show it's suited for at all, but there really has been an increasing obsession over the last few years in sticking it on literally everything, whether it should be there or not.
[-] The following 2 users Like James2001's post:
  • London Lite, TVFan

MBB over here in Ireland on Xmas Day went out without any BBC branding at the end, or the blocks on the titles and oddly no ad breaks neither.

There was text at the end which just said:
"A BocPix/BBC Studios Entertainment Scotland/RTÉ co-production" and a copyright date for RTÉ but no logos.

Also, there is no product placement "PP" on the show at all, so I'm not sure if the Brennans Bread, Barry's Tea, Kimberley biscuits, JR Sauce and the Supervalu bag et al are product placement items, more of a "oh look, this is Irish!"