New Year's Eve

(01-01-2023, 12:36 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I thought it was quite good of them to wrap the recorded Sam Ryder special around the live 10 minute insert for the 'bongs and fireworks'.

Well, it worked for me anyway.  He's a very talented singer/performer.

They did the same last year with Olly Alexander, and Alicia Keys the year before.

If they do bring back TOTP, Sam Ryder should host it. The show looked amazing last night.
[-] The following 4 users Like DeMarkay's post:
  • bkman1990, fanoftv, Roger Darthwell, TVNerd

(01-01-2023, 01:02 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  What about Hogmanay? Was that live or recorded?

Pre-recorded now. Hasn't been live for a few years. STV hasn't been live at the bells for a good number of years either, well over a decade.

I didn’t realise the BBC1 Scotland programme was a pre-record. The footage of the Edinburgh fireworks was presumably live and inserted in?

Crazy that it seems the only live show was the ceilidh on BBC Alba, where they were reading people’s tweets so must have been live. The best option at the bells IMO!
[-] The following 1 user Likes LargelyALurker's post:
  • Meteor

That is unfortunate. I had no idea most were not live.. the only one I knew was pre-recorded was jools Holland on BBC2.

Thanks for clarification. When do they actually record Hogmanay show then? As there is a 5 minute preview after the evening news.

Something else I noticed the christmas idents only shown before midnight but not after. Many years ago the christmas idents were used until about 3 January.

(01-01-2023, 04:01 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  When do they actually record Hogmanay show then? As there is a 5 minute preview after the evening news.

It was recorded in Glasgow on 19 November.
[-] The following 3 users Like Omnipresent's post:
  • bkman1990, Jimbo2022, Meteor

(01-01-2023, 10:28 AM)Keith Wrote:  I seem to recall one year when it was live (I think Nile Rodgers) overran and cut it very fine. When he finished part 1 he was meant to have a short interview with the presenter. Instead the presenter had to link straight to the fireworks for the 10 second countdown.
Correct, 2017/18:
youtu.be 

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Josh's post:
  • Happy2001

(01-01-2023, 02:20 AM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  Please excuse my ignorance I thought the shows on BBC1 and BBC1 Scotland were both live. Bbc1 Scotland show was always called Hogmanay Live but this year it was just called Hogmanay

But I have always thought that was live and the rocks big Ben was also live but the programme on BBC2 is usually recorded as far as I know.

I think BBC One Scotland's last fully live Hogmanay show was 2018/19, which was also Jackie Bird's last birl, and the last one from Glasgow's Fruitmarket. It's been prerecorded in the studio since 2019/20, save for the bit around the bells.

Jools's Hootenanny has been prerecorded for donkey's years. (Has it ever been live?)

(01-01-2023, 01:38 AM)Andrew Wrote:  
(01-01-2023, 12:36 AM)Meteor Wrote:  None of BBC1, BBC2, ITV or C4 have a live show this evening. When did each last have one?

The BBC concerts were live before COVID weren’t they?

They also used to have a presenter linking it all together

Now it’s just 3 completely disconnected parts

Recording the concert was one of those things brought in just for the Covid period that has now become normal, like cutting the length of Children in Need

COVID was clearly just an excuse. If that was the real reason for shortening CIN, 2022's should've been back to normal! They actually just wanted to cut the runtime and used the COVID excuse to avoid negative publicity.

(01-01-2023, 04:52 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  
(01-01-2023, 01:38 AM)Andrew Wrote:  The BBC concerts were live before COVID weren’t they?

They also used to have a presenter linking it all together

Now it’s just 3 completely disconnected parts

Recording the concert was one of those things brought in just for the Covid period that has now become normal, like cutting the length of Children in Need

COVID was clearly just an excuse. If that was the real reason for shortening CIN, 2022's should've been back to normal! They actually just wanted to cut the runtime and used the COVID excuse to avoid negative publicity.
Or maybe they decided both things worked better or just as well that way having after having to try them out due to Covid.