New Year's Eve

The first time of many we will be seeing those numerals. And the right BBC logo too! Happy New Year to BBC Studios and to everyone here.

up.metropol247.co.uk 
Web Image

It was nice of BBC One to give us a visual and audible warning of flashing images just ahead of the fireworks at midnight...

Would the clock on screen on BBC Two with Jools Holland that was building up to midnight be added in live to be correct or was it part of the programme?
[-] The following 5 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • bkman1990, fanoftv, Happy2001, interestednovice, Reith85

(01-01-2024, 01:34 AM)arbrax Wrote:  Been really enjoying the Rick Astley concert, and the London fireworks were lovely too. Happy New Year to all of you, here's to more decent-middling TV presentation in 2024

I also enjoyed it, and it was awesome to have Sharleen Spiteri from Texas (the band NOT the US state) and Rylan Clark, they really made a very special start to 2024
[-] The following 6 users Like Roger Darthwell's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, arbrax, bkman1990, interestednovice, UTVLifer

(01-01-2024, 01:48 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  Would the clock on screen on BBC Two with Jools Holland that was building up to midnight be added in live to be correct or was it part of the programme?
I believe everything is done as-live down to the second, so much so that there was a photo of a playout system where it says "PLAY at 23:30:04" (or something to that effect).

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.
[-] The following 2 users Like Josh's post:
  • interestednovice, RhysJR

(31-12-2023, 11:09 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  Usual thing on S4C - pre-recorded compilation of Heno from 10pm till 12.05am.

At which point, they would closedown ASAP, but for the past couple of years, they’ve stuck on an extra programme - in this case, an Eisteddfod ‘legends’ gig with Dafydd Iwan filmed last year.

Come to think of it, they probably would have likely shown this year’s ‘legends’ gig instead, but for legal reasons - not related with the recent crises at S4C - they can’t (and there’s every chance it might never be broadcast again either)
What happened? What legal reasons?

(01-01-2024, 02:31 AM)JAS84 Wrote:  What happened? What legal reasons?

Upcoming court case involving one of the members of the featured band.

For the same reason, S4C pulled a documentary about their hardcore, die-hard fans from iPlayer / Clic that had gone out just a few days before the allegations went public.

Likewise, Radio Cymru and other radio stations which play Welsh language music have dropped them from their playlists.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • RhysJR

(01-01-2024, 02:06 AM)Josh Wrote:  I believe everything is done as-live down to the second, so much so that there was a photo of a playout system where it says "PLAY at 23:30:04" (or something to that effect).

It's even more accurate than that in the Nations+ they have to add a specific number of seconds and frames to the network schedule to account for the delay in the circuit
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • RhysJR

Happy New Year everyone!

I enjoyed the Last Leg of the Year (which I saw advertised earlier yesterday as ‘watch live at 9’ despite clearly prerecorded), Rick Astley and the firework display.

Well done to all involved in the productions, especially with the firework display.
[-] The following 2 users Like fanoftv's post:
  • interestednovice, UTVLifer

(01-01-2024, 06:10 PM)fanoftv Wrote:  Happy New Year everyone!

I enjoyed the Last Leg of the Year (which I saw advertised earlier yesterday as ‘watch live at 9’ despite clearly prerecorded), Rick Astley and the firework display.

Well done to all involved in the productions, especially with the firework display.

Yes, The Last Leg New Year's Eve special was recorded on 10th December, and it is lucky they got it recorded, as with their Christmas special which was recorded even earlier in late November, as Adam caught Covid by the time of their last live show of the year on Friday 15th December.

The linear airings on C4 of all shows are now promoted as "watch live at..." to distinguish them from the streaming option. I think I've gone the whole year without watching The Last Leg this year having watched pretty much every episode up until the summer series last year. It really is very tired now, and probably would have been better to give Joe Lycett or Mo Gilligan the New Years Eve slot rather than putting their shows out on weeknights in the run up to Christmas.

Also never understood why they run it from 9-11pm rather than from 10pm to just after midnight so they can at least offer an alternative at midnight, something C4 used to do through most of the 90s IIRC. (Well, on at least three occassions with The Big Breakfast, TFI Friday and Graham Norton)

(01-01-2024, 08:23 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  The linear airings on C4 of all shows are now promoted as "watch live at..." to distinguish them from the streaming option. I think I've gone the whole year without watching The Last Leg this year having watched pretty much every episode up until the summer series last year. It really is very tired now, and probably would have been better to give Joe Lycett or Mo Gilligan the New Years Eve slot rather than putting their shows out on weeknights in the run up to Christmas.

Also never understood why they run it from 9-11pm rather than from 10pm to just after midnight so they can at least offer an alternative at midnight, something C4 used to do through most of the 90s IIRC. (Well, on at least three occassions with The Big Breakfast, TFI Friday and Graham Norton)

I was told Channel 4 know the majority of viewers will be watching BBC One for the fireworks and so don't want to bother treading on their toes so end at 11pm.

The Last Leg is to Channel 4 in the same way Have I Got News For You is to BBC One - yes, it may feel tired, but it is a safe programme, a place of regular live programming which is a rare thing for television channels these days to have a live on hour of entertainment on a Friday night.

Safe and secure is what Channel 4 are happy with, with Joe Lycett etc placed around it, to give variety.
[-] The following 2 users Like JMT1985's post:
  • AndrewP, UTVLifer