Pope Benedict Funeral UK Coverage

(04-01-2023, 06:26 PM)Matrix Wrote:  The funeral of the last Pope, John Paul II, was carried as a News Special complete with the then sombre titles. If memory serves, The Ten also did a quick turn around and had Huw flown out during the day to cover the announcement (but my memory is getting a bit ropey there).

I think you’re right - I was working on the radio coverage, but from what I can remember it was a Saturday evening and BBC 1 carried a special for a good hour or so, presented by Huw Edwards in Rome.

I seem to recall Huw was already there because it wasn’t a surprise - we knew that JPII was very unwell and this was likely outcome so all the obit plan was well in place.

This time it’s very different - him not currently being the leader of the Catholic Church, and also don’t forget JPII was Pope for 27 years.

So, his death was ‘significant’ in the same way as the death of QEII was era-defining over and above the death of a monarch.
[-] The following 3 users Like steve's post:
  • cando, Stooky Bill, Transmission

(04-01-2023, 03:38 PM)London Lite Wrote:  In France, it's on France 2 from 8.15am local time.

A tiny correction, the funeral coverage on France 2 is at 9am CET.

Came across this article from 2005 earlier in the week when looking for what coverage would be provided of the funeral. It confirms that Huw Edwards was to be in Rome anchoring for the BBC, with Alastair Stewart and James Mates leading ITV's coverage.

Quote:On BBC 1, newsreader Huw Edwards will set the scene as mourners flock to St Peter's Square for the 9am funeral.
He will be joined in the studio by the Archbishop of Birmingham, the Most Rev Vincent Nichols, and church historian Professor Eamonn Duffy.
ITV1 will also air full coverage of the service from the Vatican, in addition to live coverage from Westminster Cathedral, Liverpool and Glasgow.
Alistair Stewart will anchor ITV's coverage in London from 8.50am. James Mates will be live at the Vatican as the service takes place.
Studio guests will include leading Catholic writer and broadcaster Christina Odone.
www.dailymail.co.uk 

There is a BBC News Special, but it's on BBC Parliament.

EDIT: It's now also on BBC News HD

[Image: Benny-Special.jpg]

ITV1 - Discussing TV box sets and health advice with Alex Jones
Sky News - Kay Burley. I wouldn't be surprised if she was actually out there.

Well the BBCs UK coverage has been incredibly poor.
They briefly dropped in on the funeral at 8.30 saying it was about to begin, when it had already started.
I can see the BBC are streaming the funeral via the News website, are World taking the funeral, if so, why did the News Channel not cut to them at 8am?

(05-01-2023, 09:48 AM)South Wrote:  Well the BBCs UK coverage has been incredibly poor.
They briefly dropped in on the funeral at 8.30 saying it was about to begin, when it had already started.

I believe Ben Thompson / Naga Munchetty corrected that immediately afterwards, by saying "As you can see from these live pictures, the service has begun to get underway. And it has begun now...". I also believe they had Nick Beake out at the Vatican with some live updates during this morning's Breakfast.

Disgusting from the UK broadcasters. No full coverage of the Popes funeral. Yes there is other news but all I wanted is to watch coverage of our former Pope's funeral.
[-] The following 1 user Likes shropshireguy28's post:
  • aaron_scotland

They seem to have ditched the News Special in the UK as well. Annita McVeigh is on NC with the regular bulletin.

Sky News have live coverage. Nothing on BBC or ITV.
[-] The following 2 users Like EJnutz's post:
  • aaron_scotland, bkman1990