Paris 2024 Summer Olympics

(20-04-2024, 11:13 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  No surprise that Clare will be presenting once again

It'll be interesting to see where she ends up in the schedule this year, given the highlights won't be prime time and so they'll probably go to someone else. What slot did she do during the Birmingham commonwealths a few years ago?

She was in the studio 7-10pm every night, plus ceremonies. That meant she anchored the swimming, but not onsite, whilst for a lot of the event she was basically co-hosting prime time with Gabby who was onsite at the athletics. So, for the few days they were clashing, they basically handed over to each other a lot, and then for the final few days, Clare's role was similar to that of Gary Lineker in 2012 and 2014 - in the studio talking about other sports but most of the slot was fronted by Gabby.

For some reason, Gabby only covers athletics or days that arre mainly athletics at multipsort events in recent years. I would suggest the idea of one of Gabby/Clare hosting the swimming/atheltics onsite, and the other back in the main studio, and they swap during the middle weekend, but not sure that is likely.

The full interview with Clare below with paywall.
www.telegraph.co.uk 

(20-04-2024, 11:37 AM)Newshound47 Wrote:  Interview in the Telegraph confirms Clare Balding will be working once again on the Paralympics for Channel 4 as well as Olympics for the BBC.

Though I do hope Channel 4 use a tune which is "relatable to France" as a theme tune to their Paralympics coverage (in the same vein that what BBC and ITV do for events such as Olympics and Football and Rugby World Cups), rather than keep using the same Public Enemy tune, which is also the theme tune to The Last Leg.

(21-04-2024, 12:25 AM)Scratch_Perry Wrote:  Though I do hope Channel 4 use a tune which is "relatable to France" as a theme tune to their Paralympics coverage (in the same vein that what BBC and ITV do for events such as Olympics and Football and Rugby World Cups), rather than keep using the same Public Enemy tune, which is also the theme tune to The Last Leg.

But 'Harder than You Think' is the theme of Channel 4's Paralympics coverage. 'The Last Leg' retained it after its initial run in parallel with the games.

[Image: tig96x96.png]

I do think it's time to move on from that though - been 12 years now.

Agree that if they can get a presentation position at the swimming Clare and Gabby switching between on location and studio roles would make sense. Personally think Gabby would be much better utilised as a studio host across multiple sports.

I would guess this year Hazel will do the afternoon shift and Clare do primetime, with the morning slot being up for grabs - perhaps JJ Chalmers and Sam Quek.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Jeff, Scratch_Perry, UTVLifer

(21-04-2024, 08:12 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  I do think it's time to move on from that though - been 12 years now.

Agree that if they can get a presentation position at the swimming Clare and Gabby switching between on location and studio roles would make sense. Personally think Gabby would be much better utilised as a studio host across multiple sports.

I would guess this year Hazel will do the afternoon shift and Clare do primetime, with the morning slot being up for grabs - perhaps JJ Chalmers and Sam Quek.

Isa Guha will also be in the presenting mix, especially when a couple of months ago, her Test Match Special colleague Alex Hartley (who presents TV highlights of England Women's matches), was "shadowing" Alex Scott on a live FA Cup tie which the latter was presenting. This is probably a tell-tale sign that Hartley will almost certainly present some live cricket games - from The Hundred - whilst Guha will be in Paris for the Olympics.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scratch_Perry's post:
  • Jeff, UTVLifer

Isa presented the highlights with JJ Chalmers in Birmingham in 2022, and did a great job IMO, so wouldn't be surprised if they weren't split up and do that again. I would like JJ to be back on live coverage becuase he was a great watch on the overnights in 2021, but the highlights is probably one of the higher profile slots.

Sam Queck hasn't done anything for BBC Sport since Tokyo - bar Question of Sport if you want to count that - but she has been pregnant and busy with other projects like QoS since. Jason Mohammad another name who is an almost everpresent on Olympics/Commonwealths coverage, so would be likely to host during the daytime. Mark Chapman co-presented the highlights with Clare Balding in 2014 and 2016 (with Clare also doing the preceding live primetime coverage), but was radio exclusive in 2021 - will be interesting if he does stay radio exclusive, though I would like to see him on TV in some way.
[-] The following 2 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • Brekkie, UTVLifer