Paris 2024 Summer Olympics

It will probably end up like their cricket coverage and give up half way through and do the rest 'off-tube' in London.

Interesting it's across Wireless/News UK radio, wonder if they'll send Chris Evans there

Oh no, I forgot this was summer Olympics year - oh hell - thankfully I will be away on holidays, as I hate how BBC literally just dump it all over BBC One and BBC Two.

(29-02-2024, 09:40 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Oh no, I forgot this was summer Olympics year - oh hell - thankfully I will be away on holidays, as I hate how BBC literally just dump it all over BBC One and BBC Two.

Well it will only be dumped all over one because of the fantastic agreement with Warner Bros Discovery(!)

WBD must be delighted - they get the BBC to pay more than they should for not that much, they get a decent amount of subs to their own service (especially now there's a premium sports brand) and now a second broadcaster paying for radio rights.
[-] The following 2 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • Brekkie, UTVLifer

(29-02-2024, 09:40 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Oh no, I forgot this was summer Olympics year - oh hell - thankfully I will be away on holidays, as I hate how BBC literally just dump it all over BBC One and BBC Two.

That's how I feel during the world cup and Euros taking over BBC1 and ITV...

In 2028 it looks like the Euros and Olympics could clash. LA 2028 starts on the 14th July. The Euros final might well be Sunday 16th. If not the Euros final will be the 9th and there will be less than weeks gap.
[-] The following 2 users Like Newshound47's post:
  • Brekkie, RhysJR

I think UEFA are usually fairly pragmatic about scheduling and will want to avoid a clash. Euros finals usually kick off at 8pm BST (so noon in LA), and they won't want to compete for TV time with another major sporting event.
Plus the Olympic football usually starts on D-2, and while there won't be a huge crossover in countries wanting to put their A-teams into both tournaments, there really ought to be some clear ground between the two.

It may have a knock-on in moving the domestic leagues forward a week or two over the 26/27 and 27/28 seasons, but they ought to have plenty of notice!

The Euros being the 9th June - 9th July wouldn't be that unusual - Euro 2016 ended on the 10th and prior to that (though with 16 rather than 24 teams) the event always finished before then. Ultimately it benefits nobody for there to be a clash, though it would be the shorter turnaround in quite some time, and every sport in the Olympics will schedule around the Olympics.

The same goes for Wimbledon too - not quite sure what would be the expected final date now they've pushed it back a week, although tennis featuring the top talent in the Olympics and the need to effectively add an extra tournament into the calendar in Olympic year means common sense should prevail. Would be nice too if the US Open Tennis could be pushed back a week to avoid clashing with the Paralympics too (which end 3rd Sept), but I doubt it'll happen.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • UTVLifer

I would expect there to be at least a two week gap created between the two. There's normally a significant amount of shared resources between the two events and it's of no benefit to anybody to cause disruption to that for the sake of moving things by a week or so.
[-] The following 2 users Like mcrdev's post:
  • Brekkie, UTVLifer

The Olympics will probably clash with Tour de France however. I wonder whether the Tour will be moved forward to finish on the first weekend of the games or if it'll run concurrently for a whole week.

Obviously because of the time difference the events won't clash but it will probably cause headaches for broadcasters like France Télévisions and Eurosport!
[-] The following 1 user Likes DamC's post:
  • UTVLifer

(03-03-2024, 08:58 PM)DamC Wrote:  The Olympics will probably clash with Tour de France however. I wonder whether the Tour will be moved forward to finish on the first weekend of the games or if it'll run concurrently for a whole week.

Obviously because of the time difference the events won't clash but it will probably cause headaches for broadcasters like France Télévisions and Eurosport!

The women's event has been moved a week earlier this year, so the same will likely be done in 2028 for the men as well. The road races are usually on the opening weekend of an Olympics.

www.cyclingnews.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • UTVLifer