Fawlty Towers 2 - Coming Soon

(08-02-2023, 08:27 PM)cable Wrote:  This will get a DAMN GOOD THRASHING in the ratings.
Not sure whether that was just an attempt at getting a reference to show in but it won’t at least not initially, it’s one of the biggest comedy brands in history and initial interest will be massive, then it just depends on whether it’s any good or not. And we don’t know how or where it will be released yet, so difficult to know whether we’ll get actual figures.

Cleese has given an interview with GB News and it sounds like they’re not setting it in the UK.

This is such a terrible idea. The writing plot seems so obvious to me, it will be Basil dealing with the modern world, like same sex couples etc and trying to not offend.

I cant see any TV network picking this up.
[-] The following 1 user Likes aaron_scotland's post:
  • AJB39

(08-02-2023, 10:54 AM)eyeTV Wrote:  I honestly think it's best left well alone.

You’re probably right but they said the same about the Toy Story movies…

Anyone know why the Fawlty Towers isn't on any steaming services or even available to buy via iTunes or Prime Video? I'm sure it was on Britbox and iTunes not that long ago.

(10-02-2023, 09:34 PM)darrenlit94 Wrote:  Anyone know why the Fawlty Towers isn't on any steaming services or even available to buy via iTunes or Prime Video? I'm sure it was on Britbox and iTunes not that long ago.

Here you go, watch it whenever you want: Smile
www.amazon.co.uk 

It apparently was on Netflix until relatively recently.

Maybe the news of the reboot just happened to match with the expiry date of the content on the streamers.  This is the issue with streamers, the content can and will vanish at short notice.

I really recommend that DVD box set as well, features excellent commentary from Cleese.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]

(10-02-2023, 09:52 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:    This is the issue with streamers, the content can and will vanish at short notice.

One of the reasons why I still prefer physical media and hate all this talk about the "death" of it. I don't like leaving stuff at th whims of streaming providers, I've had stuff I want to watch vanish too many times.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • Ma76

(11-02-2023, 12:06 AM)James2001 Wrote:  
(10-02-2023, 09:52 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:    This is the issue with streamers, the content can and will vanish at short notice.

One of the reasons why I still prefer physical media and hate all this talk about the "death" of it. I don't like leaving stuff at th whims of streaming providers, I've had stuff I want to watch vanish too many times.

I still have three large boxes of DVDs stored for exactly this reason. Fawlty Towers is in one of them.

Ask pretty much any US animation fan who subscribed to HBO max how they feel about streaming after the last few months...

(08-02-2023, 02:36 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  
(08-02-2023, 02:04 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  No broadcaster being attached is usually a clue that it's not going to happen.

The article sayds "Castle Rock Entertainment announced on Tuesday it had closed a deal with Cleese to bring back the television series, but it's not yet clear which channel or streaming service it would appear on."

Now we can work out that Castle Rock Entertainment itself is ultimately owned by Discovery, who have fingers in HBO and obviously the entire Discovery TV network, but none of these outlets (including Discovery+) would be a suitable outlet for this project.

All is not lost though - WB Discovery of late like commissioning shows and then not broadcasting them.   That's probably the best bet here.