Social Media Gold

I already posted that further up the page...

For reasons not relevant to this site, there have been references to Scottish passports in the news this week.

Anyway, the term "Scottish passport" brought back a vague memory of an STV programme hosted by Bryan Burnett. It turns out this was a travel programme "for the Scots by the Scots" (?), and the only trace of the original I can find is this 1994 promo on TV Whirl:

www.tvwhirl.co.uk 

This wasn't actually the programme I was thinking of. Then I realised that the same Bryan Burnett was also hosting an STV gameshow called "The Passport Quiz" around the same time. Here's an episode:

youtu.be 

youtu.be 

It's far from TV gold to be honest, but I find the needlessly-detailed airport set and running around quite hilarious, especially as it's just rounds of questions. It's also very parochial, only including contestants from the STV (Central Scotland) region despite the endboard claiming it was made for ITV.

It must've aired on Grampian too, but does anyone outside Scotland remember this show at all? Was it really produced for the network?
[-] The following 1 user Likes scottishtv's post:
  • TVFan

How far can people's minds be tricked within a group? It can be skyrocketed into nowhere, according to Channel 4 in 2005: youtu.be 

Watch this space...
WestKnightTV - on DeviantArt
[-] The following 1 user Likes W. Knight's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

(28-07-2023, 06:23 PM)scottishtv Wrote:  For reasons not relevant to this site, there have been references to Scottish passports in the news this week.

Anyway, the term "Scottish passport" brought back a vague memory of an STV programme hosted by Bryan Burnett. It turns out this was a travel programme "for the Scots by the Scots" (?), and the only trace of the original I can find is this 1994 promo on TV Whirl:

www.tvwhirl.co.uk 

This wasn't actually the programme I was thinking of. Then I realised that the same Bryan Burnett was also hosting an STV gameshow called "The Passport Quiz" around the same time. Here's an episode:

youtu.be 

youtu.be 

It's far from TV gold to be honest, but I find the needlessly-detailed airport set and running around quite hilarious, especially as it's just rounds of questions. It's also very parochial, only including contestants from the STV (Central Scotland) region despite the endboard claiming it was made for ITV.

It must've aired on Grampian too, but does anyone outside Scotland remember this show at all? Was it really produced for the network?

Scottish Passport originally ended in 2003 around the same time that Wish You Were Here? was on its way out then returned in 2011 I think in place of some big ITV drama that STV declined to show instead, which was quite funny seeing the reaction to.

I'd much rather watch Passport Quiz over most of the new formats of today.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tellyblues's post:
  • scottishtv

Think it was by and large Scottish and Grampian only - Passport Quiz would have started around the time Grampian had begun carrying more local programming from Scottish at SMG’s whim (ITC got involved at one point but that’s another story)

However, it did get a networked run - just a few months ago, paired up with High Road in a morning slot on That’s TV (the end board chopped out, alas)

Can’t say I’d be surprised at the level of effort they went to for the set - Scottish made pretty good use of Cowcaddens for shiny floor shows, even at a local programming level.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • scottishtv

Strangely ITC was happy with Grampian output in 1998, but it was in 1999/2000 where the issues appeared.

Passport Quiz is indeed Scotland only affair back in the day, over 150 editions were made over the 4 years. It was a cheap and cheerful programme that filled up the local quoter..

The set was given a refresh:
www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Milkshake's post:
  • scottishtv

One of LWT's "It Shouldn't Happen to A..." series - about newsreaders (think it was the first one in the series)

AFAIK, it was only repeated once (slightly re-versioned to include another ad break) and sadly, this version cuts off Richard Baker's post-credits anecdote.

Plenty of behind the scenes footage, though - from ITN's stressful Eclipse Live special for Channel 5 and from LNN, too.

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • PWD, Roger Darthwell, Stooky Bill

How Westcountry marked the total eclipse this week in 1999 - very much the last hurrah for the brand before the Carlton relaunch a few weeks later.

Some rare bits of Pres here and there to accompany a co-produced Brian Blessed documentary and a typically rough-and-ready live OB special (the network didn't really bother - hence ITN concentrating its efforts on Channel 5's coverage)

Always good to see Ian Stirling involved, too.

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • DE88, Roger Darthwell

I remember them doing a big OB from Twickenham when Cornwall got through to a rugby final around that time. I doubt neither that or the Eclipse outside broadcasts would have been possible without Carlton's money and resources.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • DE88, lookoutwales

(07-08-2023, 07:06 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  I remember them doing a big OB from Twickenham when Cornwall got through to a rugby final around that time. I doubt neither that or the Eclipse outside broadcasts would have been possible without Carlton's money and resources.

True.

Wouldn't that have been one of the County Championship finals?

There was at least one year (1991) when BBC South West opted out of Grandstand to show the Cornwall v Yorkshire final live.

www.youtube.com