Social Media Gold

A Summer holiday children's block from Granada, 1993:
youtu.be 

Dedicated quizzes, graphics and in-vision continuity booth.

Watch this space...
WestKnightTV - on DeviantArt

(08-08-2023, 04:59 PM)W. Knight Wrote:  A Summer holiday children's block from Granada, 1993:
youtu.be 
Dedicated quizzes, graphics and in-vision continuity booth.

Would this have been a few weeks before the midday pre-school slot was finally dropped? (in Granada's case, there were usually in-vision links to top and tail that day's programme)

Don't recall the Pres package myself (Granada owned a few theme parks at the time, including Camelot, hence the sponsorship of the quiz stings in and out of the break)

And a rare spotting of the networked endcap touting the support for Manchester 2000 - Granada Pres went so far as to get its announcers to wear bid-themed ties, badges and jackets on air.

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • W. Knight

A look through DirecTV's channels on 9/11. Notice the Turner channels simulcasting CNN and Viacom's music channels simulcasting WCBS in New York. Some channels closed for the day.

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like London Lite's post:
  • Roger Darthwell, TVFan

Watching the channel hopping video above, it never occurred to me to ask this before. Why do shopping channels, of all things, close down in the event of national mourning or tragic events like 9/11? You'd assume channels like Comedy Central would be more likely to close so as not to seem insensitive.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Larry the Loafer's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

They're mostly live aren't they so they can't just switch to recorded programmes, especially if the products being marketed have changed, are no longer available, or offers they're talking about are no longer available etc. Plus they won't have had time to check for what may have been harmless chatter or banter but may be perceived as insensitive or offensive after a major event like a royal death. I imagine it's easier and safer to close down for the day and put up an in memoriam slide.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 2 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • DE88, thomash79

Mentioned this already in another thread but here's how LWT's The London Programme examined the capital's three local radio stations - BBC Radio London, Capital and LBC - in 1976.

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 5 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • KatsKaravan, London Lite, PatrZDZ, Roger Darthwell, Stooky Bill

An episode of Groucho- a UK version of You Bet Your Life made by Rediffusion in 1965. I've read about this down the years, so it's good to see at least one episode still exists.

www.youtube.com 

Not entirely social media, as I uploaded it to wetransfer (so will be gone in a few days), but here's the final ITV Chart Show, which was broadcast 25 years ago this week, scarily

wetransfer.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like James2001's post:
  • DE88, Larry the Loafer, Roger Darthwell

(09-08-2023, 04:01 PM)London Lite Wrote:  A look through DirecTV's channels on 9/11.    Notice the Turner channels simulcasting CNN and Viacom's music channels simulcasting WCBS in New York.  Some channels closed for the day.

www.youtube.com 
At 6:43 in this video we can see that there are channels called CBS East, CBS West, NBC East, NBC West, ABC East, ABC West, Fox, Fox West.........what are they?

(28-08-2023, 01:03 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  At 6:43 in this video we can see that there are channels called CBS East, CBS West, NBC East, NBC West, ABC East, ABC West, Fox, Fox West.........what are they?
I think they're the main networks for those subscribers whose local channels aren't available on DirecTV. Despite the names they're the network owned affiliates from Los Angeles and New York.

See channels 390 upwards
www.lyngsat.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • Roger Darthwell