Saturday Night Takeaway

I think that was about the limit of expectations. The fact they're back next week meant it didn't feel like an event where if you miss it you're missing out. I also think as much as it's been a staple of Saturday night for so long ultimately most years that's just been for 7 nights a year - we're already used to 45 weeks a year without it. And of course if anything they've deliberately downplayed it.

What I do hope is that TV execs just don't sit around waiting for Ant and Dec's comeback to tackle live Saturday night TV again. There is an audience that wants it and talent around which deserves a shot at it. I get why in recent years there probably has been a reluctance to attempt similar shows whilst Takeaway was on air as it's unlikely they'd have been compared favourable, and there will likely be a bit of hesitation now in the immediate wake of the show ending, but hopefully commissioners will see a window has now opened to potentially fill the gap.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, fatal paper cut, JMT1985

(14-04-2024, 01:20 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I know that the TV landscape has changed significantly over the last 2 decades, but it comes to something when you're celebrating getting 4.56m viewers for one of your flagship Saturday night programmes.

Even The Apprentice manages around 6m on a Thursday night. Confused

It certainly doesn’t reach that figure live, more like the 3.5 million range. 4.56 million is about where you would expect Takeaway based on how it’s performed this year, and it’s certainly at the higher end of viewing figures compared to most slots.

We see relatively few ‘live’ ratings now so it’s hard to really compare, but the number of programs and slots on BBC One and ITV which regularly fail to meet 2 million is pretty stark. It’s not uncommon now to see primetime slots around the million mark, especially if the program is already on iPlayer/ITV X.
[-] The following 1 user Likes AaronTV's post:
  • Happy2001

(14-04-2024, 01:26 PM)shropshireguy28 Wrote:  No it doesn't get 6m, not in the live ratings anyway
BARB rating have included catch-up services for many years. It's total viewers that count.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • Reith85

I really enjoyed last night, felt well crafted with a bit of chaos and naughtiness thrown in.
Would be nice to see it return as one off specials at Christmas/New Year or even as a bank holiday treat. I'd assume there would be at least a 3/4 year rest for a full series to return but last night, as others have said, had an air of finality about it, not just that the show was being 'rested'.
[-] The following 2 users Like J102B's post:
  • AJB39, callumwatchestelly

(14-04-2024, 02:37 PM)Stuart Wrote:  BARB rating have included catch-up services for many years. It's total viewers that count.

Indeed, and nobody was disputing that catch up figures aren’t already included, but I think your comment that the Apprentice was getting 6m ‘on a Thursday night’ gave the impression that was the live figure, not the consolidated figure. The Apprentice is getting 6m, but certainly not on the night it airs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes AaronTV's post:
  • Critique

(14-04-2024, 01:20 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I know that the TV landscape has changed significantly over the last 2 decades, but it comes to something when you're celebrating getting 4.56m viewers for one of your flagship Saturday night programmes.

Even The Apprentice manages around 6m on a Thursday night. Confused

The Apprentice got 3.8m last Thursday and that itself was higher than usual due to the interviews episode, it had been low 3’s in previous weeks
[-] The following 1 user Likes Andrew's post:
  • iloveTV1

(14-04-2024, 02:40 PM)J102B Wrote:  I really enjoyed last night, felt well crafted with a bit of chaos and naughtiness thrown in.
Would be nice to see it return as one off specials at Christmas/New Year or even as a bank holiday treat. I'd assume there would be at least a 3/4 year rest for a full series to return but last night, as others have said, had an air of finality about it, not just that the show was being 'rested'.

I honestly don’t think it will ever be back, in any form. I think they’re learning from Noel Edmunds and going out while people still want more. It’s a shame, it never felt tired to me. It had at least a few more years.

(14-04-2024, 03:11 PM)Scrotnig Wrote:  I honestly don’t think it will ever be back, in any form. I think they’re learning from Noel Edmunds and going out while people still want more. It’s a shame, it never felt tired to me. It had at least a few more years.
Well they’ve certainly kept their options open, with not outright saying it’s the last ever episode.

I genuinely think they just wanted a break from the show, and if ITV wanted it back and their other formats are flagging it’d be back with a few new ideas, just like last time. And it not the Takeaway brand, something of a similar nature, otherwise they’re just stuck doing very formatted shows for ever.

(13-04-2024, 11:09 PM)ACTV Wrote:  It was ditched in 2023 - with rugby to blame. I could see it returning, whether it be the original format or “Race to Glory”. I do agree it suits 6pm better though. Perhaps the likes of The Fortune Hotel, 99 to Beat, Password and The Genius Game will be the eventual replacements come next year.

A mixed bag there and not all of them Saturday night material.

Ring My Bell may be an option.

Are there any new American entertainment shows which could fit prime time ITV Saturday nights for next year, instead of the current reboots of old classics?