Saturday Night Takeaway

(28-03-2024, 10:34 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  I am still getting a feeling this is a proper farewell to the show, but ITV, Ant and Dec just don't want to admit it.

It all feels as if we are saying farewell for good to SNT
For the sake of Ant and Dec and ITV it should be. I fully believe Ant and Dec will have a live Saturday night variety show on ITV again in the not too distant future but it should be a successor to SNT rather than another revival.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, ConorW2000

Ant and Dec will be 50 next year. It’s clear the show takes a large amount of effort, and in 5 years time, or whenever they decide to add to their workload again, if ever, they may not want to invest as much time into a project like this.

This is why I hope that any spiritual successor to SNT is hosted by someone from the next generation of presenters; Jordan North and Fleur East, perhaps?

(29-03-2024, 12:05 AM)iloveTV1 Wrote:  Ant and Dec will be 50 next year. It’s clear the show takes a large amount of effort, and in 5 years time, or whenever they decide to add to their workload again, if ever, they may not want to invest as much time into a project like this.

This is why I hope that any spiritual successor to SNT is hosted by someone from the next generation of presenters; Jordan North and Fleur East, perhaps?

Wow, ageist much?

Bradley Walsh.... over 50 and a perfectly competent host- arguably his 50s were when he grew into the role.

Jeremy Paxman- ploughed through his 70s doing University Challenge and only really slowed down in his last 3-4 years.

Jane McDonald- a riot on the cruise shows- over 50.

Graham Norton- best chat show host in the country- over 50.

Anne Robinson- (ignoring the failed Countdown endeavours), the Weakest Link was arguably the most successful daytime quiz of all time.

Chris Tarrant- over 50 throughout the entirety of his 15 year run of hosting the world's most successful quiz show.

Schofield (recent scandals aside)- one of the country's finest live TV presenters- over 50.

Paul O'Grady- a real master of the craft- over 50 throughout his entire time hosting the POG show and For the Love of Dogs.

And if it's a case of "these were all on the older side when they started their presenting careers" (which isn't true- Tarrant did Tiswas), I raise you Davina McCall- well into her 50s and still the best female presenter this country has.

Claudia Winkleman- over 50 and her career is arguably more flourishing than it's ever been- between Strictly, Traitors, and The Piano all being massive successes.
[-] The following 2 users Like Gary Baldy's post:
  • Ash101, JMT1985

It depends on the type of show and SNT with its physical commitments isn't for most presenters, let alone those 50 and over.
[-] The following 4 users Like tellyblues's post:
  • AJB39, iloveTV1, Larry the Loafer, Pips2022

(02-04-2024, 06:35 PM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  Wow, ageist much?

Bradley Walsh.... over 50 and a perfectly competent host- arguably his 50s were when he grew into the role.

Jeremy Paxman- ploughed through his 70s doing University Challenge and only really slowed down in his last 3-4 years.

Jane McDonald- a riot on the cruise shows- over 50.

Graham Norton- best chat show host in the country- over 50.

Anne Robinson- (ignoring the failed Countdown endeavours), the Weakest Link was arguably the most successful daytime quiz of all time.

Chris Tarrant- over 50 throughout the entirety of his 15 year run of hosting the world's most successful quiz show.

Schofield (recent scandals aside)- one of the country's finest live TV presenters- over 50.

Paul O'Grady- a real master of the craft- over 50 throughout his entire time hosting the POG show and For the Love of Dogs.

And if it's a case of "these were all on the older side when they started their presenting careers" (which isn't true- Tarrant did Tiswas), I raise you Davina McCall- well into her 50s and still the best female presenter this country has.

Claudia Winkleman- over 50 and her career is arguably more flourishing than it's ever been- between Strictly, Traitors, and The Piano all being massive successes.

Saturday Night Takeaway isn’t just a live programme though, it involves a considerable amount of work throughout the year which I imagine is cumbersome and testing given the nature of the VTs on the programme.

Are any of the presenters you listed carrying out elaborate undercover stunts? Racing up towers? Dressing up in oversized costumes which result in numerous tumbles and various other quite ordeals? No, they’re all hosting chat shows and game shows.

I’m not suggesting that Ant and Dec need to go and collect their P45s the moment they turn 55, but they may simply not want to put in the amount of work required for this show, and instead, if wanting to add to their plate, present a show much like the numerous presenters you’ve listed above, I.E. a Gameshow that requires a few weeks a year to film.

And, this isn’t even considering that they might want to try something new, like a daytime show or perhaps even a return to acting.
[-] The following 2 users Like iloveTV1's post:
  • AJB39, Pips2022

I feel Bruce Forsyth warrants a mention here
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • DE88

(02-04-2024, 07:23 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I feel Bruce Forsyth warrants a mention here
He’s dead so would be a terrible replacement.
[-] The following 17 users Like Jon's post:
  • 030293, AJB39, all new phil, aquadextrous, arbrax, Brekkie, DE88, iloveTV1, Joe, JT95, matthew, Nobby, Pete, Pips2022, strollfan, Trafford Wharf Road, turbolazer

And how old was Noel Edmonds when he was wrestling Mr Blobby each BBC week?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nobby's post:
  • Gary Baldy

Noel Edmonds was 43 when he started Noel's House Party in 1991 - in 1990 when the Generation Game was rebooted by the BBC with Bruce as host, he was 62. For anyone he wants to know.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JMT1985's post:
  • Gary Baldy

According to The Sun Stephen pulled out of last nights show. They don’t do Ant Vs Dec every week anyway so I don’t see why he would have been there. They said Jordan North replaced him but he was only on during Spot the Difference which he usually does that sort of thing.

www.thesun.co.uk