BBC Internationally

Why can’t we have nice things in this country?!

(19-04-2023, 01:11 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Just compare Nordic's Forest ident to the one from the Oneness set. Nordic's is much better executed.
The comparison with Oneness Forest was my first thought too. This one is more akin to Magical Forest from the good old Circles days.

They’re just lovely CG idents. It’s amazing how visually creative you can be when not forced to feature people.

Nice touch with the blocks transition from ident to guidance caption - reanimating from its last position rather than coming down again. Not sure why Dawn doesn’t animate like the others though.
[-] The following 13 users Like Asa's post:
  • ACTV, benzj, chaose, GMc, harshy, JAS84, Kojak, Ma76, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell, Stuart, UTVLifer, W. Knight

I do like the attention to detail - how the slant of the N device is used in the formation of the NORDIC wordmark. Thinking of how a circle could be used to create the O of ONE...!

[Image: tig96x96.png]

(19-04-2023, 02:16 PM)W. Knight Wrote:  
(19-04-2023, 12:57 AM)harshy Wrote:  hopefully they show a trailer or two to see if the trailers have adopted the chameleon style.
Well, there're some pre-launch trailers on their Youtube channel, posted a page before. The It's Nice That article has some snapshots of possible promo endboard and blip though, largely following the Chameleon style:
[Image: BBC%20Nordic%20Sting.jpg]
[Image: BBC%20Nordic%20Promo.webp]
(One is from their Twitter thumbnail and their site automatically downloads pictures there, so these are reuploaded to Metropol)
The chameleon trailers end with the light blue background so that same information as the second thumbnail, but on dark green text on the wonderful gradient background, it really is a joy to watch and it’s such a shame it’s not in this country.

To pick up on some chat from earlier in the thread: I've just spent a fortnight in the USA, and yes, BBC America is a real oddball, isn't it? It's half owned by BBC Studios and the other half by AMC (BBC Studios' stake is a fraction bigger in reality) but it barely shows any BBC content. On the handful of occasions I tuned in, it was either showing movies or US TV dramas. To be fair, I did see them running trailers for the upcoming (for them) Happy Valley Series 3, though. But it feels like the channel is something of a misnomer.

Previously one of their biggest shows was probably Doctor Who, but they've now lost that to Disney+, who hold the international rights to all the episodes from November onwards.

Also, whilst the channel logo does contain the new BBC logo, the channel does not use any Chameleon style branding.

(On a side note, I also spotted the aforementioned BBC Food FAST channel, on Pluto TV, running in a cafe over there. Complete with the out-of-date BBC blocks logo Big Grin)
[-] The following 8 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • bakamann, Brekkie, Frances, Ma76, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell, SlimyTrain, Stuart

(23-04-2023, 04:29 AM)IanJRedman Wrote:  To pick up on some chat from earlier in the thread: I've just spent a fortnight in the USA, and yes, BBC America is a real oddball, isn't it? It's half owned by BBC Studios and the other half by AMC (BBC Studios' stake is a fraction bigger in reality) but it barely shows any BBC content. On the handful of occasions I tuned in, it was either showing movies or US TV dramas. To be fair, I did see them running trailers for the upcoming (for them) Happy Valley Series 3, though. But it feels like the channel is something of a misnomer.
I think the situation in Canada is even more of an odd construct. It was rebranded as BBC First in 2021 and shows mainly BBC produced programmes, but is wholly owned by Blue Ant Media who licence the brand from the BBC.

Perhaps there are more Anglophiles in Canada with an appetite for Brit-stuff than in the USA.
[-] The following 4 users Like Stuart's post:
  • IanJRedman, Ma76, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell

(23-04-2023, 08:47 AM)Stuart Wrote:  
(23-04-2023, 04:29 AM)IanJRedman Wrote:  To pick up on some chat from earlier in the thread: I've just spent a fortnight in the USA, and yes, BBC America is a real oddball, isn't it? It's half owned by BBC Studios and the other half by AMC (BBC Studios' stake is a fraction bigger in reality) but it barely shows any BBC content. On the handful of occasions I tuned in, it was either showing movies or US TV dramas. To be fair, I did see them running trailers for the upcoming (for them) Happy Valley Series 3, though. But it feels like the channel is something of a misnomer.
I think the situation in Canada is even more of an odd construct. It was rebranded as BBC First in 2021 and shows mainly BBC produced programmes, but is wholly owned by Blue Ant Media who licence the brand from the BBC.

Perhaps there are more Anglophiles in Canada with an appetite for Brit-stuff than in the USA.

I think Canada is more related to media ownership regulation - all of the “foreign channels” in Canada appear to be owned by domestic companies with the brands licensed. Another example is ABC Spark that is owned by Corus but use the ABC brand under licence.
[-] The following 5 users Like mnlbay's post:
  • benzj, IanJRedman, Ma76, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell

Previously one of their biggest shows was probably Doctor Who, but they've now lost that to Disney+, who hold the international rights to all the episodes from November onwards.

Also, whilst the channel logo does contain the new BBC logo, the channel does not use any Chameleon style branding.

(On a side note, I also spotted the aforementioned BBC Food FAST channel, on Pluto TV, running in a cafe over there. Complete with the out-of-date BBC blocks logo Big Grin)
The only BBC content on BBC America are Sir David Attenborough’s documentaries… In the past few year most people tuned in this channel for… Killing Eve. Confused

Nowadays there’re normally only Star Trek: TNG and Law and Order marathon…

So many years ago, BBC World News America was created for BBC America and sometimes it interrupted programmes for breaking news. Nowadays they showed a newsflash about the Derek Chauvin verdict but aired nothing about the Queen’s death.
[-] The following 3 users Like Frances's post:
  • Brekkie, Ma76, Quantum+83

I've said it before and I'll say it again - they need to drop the BBC licence and rebrand.
[-] The following 6 users Like JAS84's post:
  • Allanbuzzy, chaose, ethanjbrady, Jeff, Ma76, Roger Darthwell

(23-04-2023, 05:47 PM)Frances Wrote:  So many years ago, BBC World News America was created for BBC America and sometimes it interrupted programmes for breaking news. Nowadays they showed a newsflash about the Derek Chauvin verdict but aired nothing about the Queen’s death.
It was simulcast from launch (until 2011), but I'm not sure that WNA was created specifically for BBC America, rather it was part of a growing raft of US-targetted programmes on BBC World that emerged after the channel gained significant full-time US distribution in 2006.

News was historically a big part of BBC America's schedule - at one point it had a three-hour 'breakfast' simulcast of BBC World, with World News America serving as an evening programme - and, as you say, was prepared to even switch to World for breaking news coverage. But, I guess because the distribution of BBC World News in the US has expanded so much, simulcasting news has become redundant - especially with them now sharing a distributor. Plus, the slots that were simulcast on BBC America are typically the ones that are/were simulcast by PBS stations - so, even without BBC World News, there would be duplication going on.

Same thing happened with BBC Prime - started trying to emulate network BBC channels, including with news programming at breakfast and evenings, but gradually dropped it due to a) Prime and World's distributions overlapping and b) the cyclical repeat model being cheap and more profitable.
[-] The following 4 users Like DTV's post:
  • Frances, Jeff, Kojak, Ma76

In speaking of BBC America, PBS stations that air older sitcoms like Keeping Up Appearances, where this shot comes from.  still get this bumper at the start of the programme. 

[Image: EjdqFDvXgAEzPTR?format=png&name=small]
[-] The following 5 users Like sky303's post:
  • LargelyALurker, LDN, Ma76, Roger Darthwell, TVFan