Dermot Murnaghan to leave Sky News

(24-02-2023, 10:23 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Any thoughts on who will replace Dermot in the slot.   Hopefully they realise that traditional UK focused rolling news is their key point of difference against the talk based formats on GBN/Talk TV and the BBC World service on BBC News rather than seeing it as an opportunity to go for something more clickbaity.

Jackie Long from Channel 4 News possibly could.

Not surprised to see Dermot leave Sky News. He is a definitely a solid presenter. As to where he will go, he has a lot of options including:

Good Morning Britain
GB News
LBC
Podcasts
Back to ITN
BBC (though may be considered too old)
Documentaries

Wherever he goes, he will be an asset.

What makes you say ‘not surprised’ ?

(25-02-2023, 10:35 AM)Gibsy Wrote:  What makes you say ‘not surprised’ ?

A few reasons:

[*]He is of a certain age (65 to be precise and one of the oldest presenters there)
[*]He is losing his ratings war against Nigel Farage with his primetime programme
[*]He has been there since the Murdoch years and I have noticed that there has been a subtle clear out of those who have been at Sky since the Murdoch years.

As I said, wherever he goes, he will be an asset.
[-] The following 4 users Like KrazyKei's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, Gibsy, UTVLifer

Am I right in thinking that Dermot's been with Sky News longer than he was with ITN?

Seems hard to believe - especially when his ITN days coincided with my childhood. Him, Julia Somerville, John Suchet, Nicholas Owen, Carol Barnes (still much missed) and, of course, Sir Trev - plus Mark Austin and Katie Derham later on, and Graham Miller doing the sports news. Blush

Can't quite believe he's 65, either. (Actually, is he *the* oldest Sky News presenter? Mark is 64, Kay 62.)

I concur with KrazyKei - he'll be an asset wherever he goes next.
[-] The following 3 users Like DE88's post:
  • chevron, JJJJ, Ma76

It's funny - I was thinking back to when he joined Sky. The only people still left from the lineup back then are Kay, Gillian and the two Annas. I have to wonder who will replace him. Niall Paterson, perhaps? It's criminal that he doesn't currently have a regular slot (unless, of course, it's his choice). I suspect they'll just give it to Sophy Ridge, though.
[-] The following 3 users Like Kojak's post:
  • DE88, Gibsy, UTVLifer

They’ll probably replace him with Kimberley Leonard or Vanessa Baffoe

It’s Dermot’s last show tonight

twitter.com 
[-] The following 5 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • bkman1990, DE88, Kojak, Ma76, Michael Kenchington

(28-02-2023, 05:37 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  It’s Dermot’s last show tonight

twitter.com 
 I thought he was leaving at Easter. Sad to see him go.
[-] The following 2 users Like AJB39's post:
  • bkman1990, Gibsy

"You stay classy, Planet Earth. Goodbye." *throws papers over shoulder*

What a way to end your final broadcast. A class act through and through.
[-] The following 12 users Like Kojak's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald, DE88, fusionlad, Gibsy, Ma76, matthieu1221, thePineapple, UTVLifer, watchingtv