Remembering BBC News 24/BBC News Channel 1997-2023

(01-03-2023, 11:17 PM)itsrobert Wrote:  
(01-03-2023, 09:11 PM)DTV Wrote:  World Sport (a singular 15' edition at 18:45) launched around the start of 2000 when the evening edition of The World Today was axed. As it seems to largely have served as a replacement for an extended Sport segment in that edition of TWT, I assume that it just used the same World Sport sting that was used previously (maybe an extended version of the one in this clip at 34:35). It seems unlikely they would've commissioned anything special for the three months ahead of the April rebrand. I'm afraid I don't know how the standalone World Sport was branded after April 2000, but, given they didn't give the programme its own name, it seems unlikely it was given anything particularly special in terms of branding.

Thanks DTV. I vaguely recall the post-April 2000 World Sport branding. From what I can remember, it used the same design as the sport sting from the news bulletins, but used a slightly extended mix of the David Lowe music. It was presented from the main news set in N9. Once Sport Today launched, they started presenting it from the 'soft' set in N9 which consisted of a strange desk of three triangular tiers surrounded by 'toblerones' with printed designs on them that could be turned round to change the look of the set. One was Sport Today branding, one was generic news branding and I'm afraid I can't remember what the other one was!
I loved world sport it had an extended version of the sport sting and I remember the globe spinning really fast twice and then into the headline vamp which was very funky iirc, I didn’t really enjoy sport today quite as much tbh from the dark soft set.

(01-03-2023, 12:13 AM)Worzel Wrote:  Also, who else remembers clock-gate of 2007? When the first set of VizRT graphics debuted and the News 24 on screen clock was placed outside the 4:3 safe zone so only those with a 16:9 telly or not using centre cut out could see it?

Did the 2003 era not launch with the globe within the channel bug/clock ("tower"?) spinning the wrong way?
[-] The following 2 users Like thegeek's post:
  • Newsroom, Worzel

(02-03-2023, 10:09 AM)thegeek Wrote:  
(01-03-2023, 12:13 AM)Worzel Wrote:  Also, who else remembers clock-gate of 2007? When the first set of VizRT graphics debuted and the News 24 on screen clock was placed outside the 4:3 safe zone so only those with a 16:9 telly or not using centre cut out could see it?

Did the 2003 era not launch with the globe within the channel bug/clock ("tower"?) spinning the wrong way?
Yes, well remembered!

As seen at the end of this clip if you look very carefully!

youtu.be 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Worzel's post:
  • Newsroom

(02-03-2023, 10:13 AM)Worzel Wrote:  
(02-03-2023, 10:09 AM)thegeek Wrote:  Did the 2003 era not launch with the globe within the channel bug/clock ("tower"?) spinning the wrong way?
Yes, well remembered!

As seen at the end of this clip if you look very carefully!

youtu.be 

Genuinely disliked that era. More reasons than I can be bothered listing, but the cream / black images on a washed out screen in a bright white and red set is a particular highlight.
[-] The following 3 users Like all new phil's post:
  • itsrobert, JJJJ, msim

(02-03-2023, 10:37 AM)all new phil Wrote:  More reasons than I can be bothered listing, but the cream / black images on a washed out screen in a bright white and red set is a particular highlight.
Smart glass is one of those things that seems like a great idea for a news set, until you actually have to use it - particularly as having projectors 'open' and competing with studio lights is only going to create a weak picture at the best of times. They were going to use it again in Studios C and E when they moved to NBH, but luckily realised it didn't work in the piloting stages and replaced them.

In fact, you can actually still see them (and their much weaker image) in The World's Newsroom trailers.
www.youtube.com 

It's also why you're left with the weird lightbox arrangment in the over-the-shoulder shots, the small white lightbox would originally have been where the projectors would have gone. (Image from TV Live)
[Image: studio7-18.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users Like DTV's post:
  • Ian, Newsroom, oscillon

The times when they'd cross the newsroom for the weather...

youtu.be 

(01-03-2023, 06:41 PM)damian Wrote:  Just stumbled across this video, I don’t think I’ve seen it before. Is it real concept? I really like the music, personally would be better used now than the current regional music.

youtube.com 
That video was nabbed from David Lowe’s website. It was an early version, but they clearly decided to stick with a slightly reworked version of the 2007 World News Today music in the 2008 rebrand instead of using the version from that video.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MFTJA's post:
  • Superman1986

Strange framing in some of those double headed shots above. When Anita and Martine turned to their respective cameras for the inset TK be shown, Mike is still in full view in the side of the shot.

Here's a gift of remembrance from me for the final moments of the BBC News Channel and BBC World News in it's current form:

I've poured my heart and soul into the compilation of NC Promos, WN Promos, and WN Idents. The WN promos are all recorded from the core feed without a timestamp at the end of the trail board, and I tried to include all of the regular programmes.

(By "core feed" I'm referring to the trails after the last breakbumper before the start of each programme)

NC Promos:
www.youtube.com 

WN Promos:
www.youtube.com 

WN Idents:
www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 5 users Like ALV's post:
  • damian, harshy, JamesWorldNews, oscillon, TVFan

youtube.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like damian's post:
  • harshy, PWD