Remembering BBC News 24/BBC News Channel 1997-2023

And here's a rare clip of The World Today from the virtual flags set:

www.youtube.com 

(02-03-2023, 11:57 AM)DTV Wrote:  Smart glass is one of those things that seems like a great idea for a news set, until you actually have to use it - particularly as having projectors 'open' and competing with studio lights is only going to create a weak picture at the best of times. They were going to use it again in Studios C and E when they moved to NBH, but luckily realised it didn't work in the piloting stages and replaced them.

In fact, you can actually still see them (and their much weaker image) in The World's Newsroom trailers.
www.youtube.com 

Gosh I absolutely loved those promos and the soundtrack used. Such a brilliant choice of music.
[-] The following 5 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • AIB01WB, ginnyfan, harshy, Kojak, Rolling News

I still think that music and promo look would have been an amazing base for a rebrand. Grand, modern and proper for the world newsroom. Instead we're still beeping the same old worn out tune....
[-] The following 1 user Likes ginnyfan's post:
  • Kojak

I really did like those early days of News 24. We had cable so had the channel from launch, at a time when viewers on Sky were getting channels that took ages to get to us, it was nice to have something first for a change.

Radio Five Live was in its pomp at the time, not too long after the Atlanta Olympics which was when it really came into its own, and this was clearly an attempt to get some of that on TV - relaxed and informal but with a sense of pace when needed and generally a lot of life about the channel, whether it was from a bit of buzz from that newsroom set or the fact that they'd be doing things like Zero 30 at a time when these days you'd get an episode of HardTalk.

It's easy to see why the News Channel became what it did and how it evolved over the years, but I do miss that more dynamic, lively feel on a news channel, which Sky News doesn't quite have at the moment either. While I have real worries about the balance of domestic and international stories on the new version of the channel, some of the things we've heard about the future (more from the newsroom, for example) are quite promising.
[-] The following 4 users Like Transmission's post:
  • fanoftv, Kojak, PWD, Spencer

Martine Dennis is one for those older cast of World presenters (similar to Nik Gowing) who I associate so much with the N8/N9 era that I had forgotten that she did present from NBH for a while after the move before leaving in 2014

youtu.be 
[-] The following 2 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • damian, Newsroom

(03-03-2023, 06:41 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  Martine Dennis is one for those older cast of World presenters (similar to Nik Gowing) who I associate so much with the N8/N9 era that I has forgotten that she did present from NBH for a while after the move before leaving in 2014

youtu.be 

Goodness I had no idea she continued after the move to NBH. Good to know. Martine Dennis really was one of the greats.
[-] The following 3 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • JamesWorldNews, Jeff, UTVLifer

Did Alastair Yates and Deborah Mackenzie continue after the NBH move?

(03-03-2023, 06:49 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  Did Alastair Yates and Deborah Mackenzie continue after the NBH move?

I think Alastair Yates retired in 2011
[-] The following 1 user Likes news junkie's post:
  • Rolling News

(03-03-2023, 06:41 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  Martine Dennis is one for those older cast of World presenters (similar to Nik Gowing) who I associate so much with the N8/N9 era that I had forgotten that she did present from NBH for a while after the move before leaving in 2014

youtu.be 

I also totally forgot she was in NBH. Think she did weekend mornings for the last few years. Martine was the best on The World Today and the program was at its best with her at the helm. 

But the face of World early mornings must be Sally. She has been there since early 2000s, and stayed there in one way or another. It would be such a shame if it ends now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ginnyfan's post:
  • UTVLifer

Martine went to Al Jazeera after leaving the BBC. She was there for a few years.