Remembering BBC News 24/BBC News Channel 1997-2023

The only presenter I can’t put a name to above is the chap sitting next to Jane Hill in the first capture. Who is he?

(25-02-2023, 06:50 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  The only presenter I can’t put a name to above is the chap sitting next to Jane Hill in the first capture. Who is he?

That's the SNP's John Nicholson. He anchored the 9/11 breaking news with Valerie Sanderson

youtu.be 
[-] The following 5 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • bkman1990, DE88, itsrobert, Rolling News, watchingtv

You learn something new every day... didn't realise he'd gone into politics. He also had a stint presenting Breakfast News in the late 90s.
[-] The following 4 users Like itsrobert's post:
  • bkman1990, DE88, Newsroom, Rolling News

In addition to the above and on the subject of remembering N24.. This incredible piece of history was put together and aired on BBC CHOICE as well as News 24. It charts the timelines from the moment it broke with the then Business segment airing live. I forget the presenter's name, but he was very prominent at that time.

Anyone without the knowledge should know that back then the BBC chose to keep both channels separate and there was no simulcasting until well into events.

youtu.be 

(25-02-2023, 07:07 PM)itsrobert Wrote:  You learn something new every day... didn't realise he'd gone into politics. He also had a stint presenting Breakfast News in the late 90s.

Ah yes! He also had his own show on the then ITV News Channel. 'Live With John Nicolson'

(25-02-2023, 07:16 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  In addition to the above and on the subject of remembering N24.. This incredible piece of history was put together and aired on BBC CHOICE as well as News 24. It charts the timelines from the moment it broke with the then Business segment airing live. I forget the presenter's name, but he was very prominent at that time.

Anyone without the knowledge should know that back then the BBC chose to keep both channels separate and there was no simulcasting until well into events.

youtu.be 
The business presenter was John Terrett. I seem to recall he later had a stint in New York on the WBR co-pres edition.

(25-02-2023, 07:16 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(25-02-2023, 07:07 PM)itsrobert Wrote:  You learn something new every day... didn't realise he'd gone into politics. He also had a stint presenting Breakfast News in the late 90s.

Ah yes! He also had his own show on the then ITV News Channel. 'Live With John Nicolson'
Thanks Jonathan, I'd completely forgotten about that!
[-] The following 1 user Likes itsrobert's post:
  • Newsroom

(25-02-2023, 07:40 PM)itsrobert Wrote:  
(25-02-2023, 07:16 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  In addition to the above and on the subject of remembering N24.. This incredible piece of history was put together and aired on BBC CHOICE as well as News 24. It charts the timelines from the moment it broke with the then Business segment airing live. I forget the presenter's name, but he was very prominent at that time.

youtu.be 
The business presenter was John Terrett. I seem to recall he later had a stint in New York on the WBR co-pres edition.

Oh god of course. What happened to him? Soooo good! 

(25-02-2023, 07:16 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Ah yes! He also had his own show on the then ITV News Channel. 'Live With John Nicolson'
Thanks Jonathan, I'd completely forgotten about that!

My earliest memories of News 24 were the overnight simulcasts on BBC1 at launch.  I was at university and often worked late into the early hours of the morning.  At that time distribution was quite limited and there was controversy over News 24 replacing Sky News on analogue cable. 

News 24 was quite separate from the rest of BBC News, in a different department for continuous news with Five Live and facing some well documented internal opposition.

I remember the second set of the flags era being dubbed something along the lines of a car crash in a shower. 

I think the 1999 relaunch set and graphics - before the breaking news straps became obtrusive - were one of the best.

Aside from its ignominious closure, the low points were probably when the BBC was obsessed with reporting on itself, like interviewing Matt Wells from Media Guardian in a corridor of TV Centre on Crowngate trailer, giving a running tally of complaints about the Ross/Brand Andrew Sachs interview and live presentation from outside NBH after Savile.

If completely forgotten that Martin Popplewell was ever at News 24.

I recall he was at BBC World during the flags era. And onwards to Sky News via ITN. But missed him on N24 specifically.
[-] The following 2 users Like JamesWorldNews's post:
  • bkman1990, Newsroom

(25-02-2023, 08:22 PM)JamesWorldNews Wrote:  If completely forgotten that Martin Popplewell was ever at News 24.

I recall he was at BBC World during the flags era. And onwards to Sky News via ITN. But missed him on N24 specifically.

I think Martin became a main face of Channel 5 News while at ITN.
[-] The following 4 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • bkman1990, DE88, itsrobert, watchingtv

In a special program for his 60th birthday on S4C, Huw Edwards credited his early appearances on News 24 as a political correspondent in 1997-99 with his promotion to the 6 O'clock News in 1999.