(13-04-2023, 01:08 PM)gottago Wrote:  Presumably this means All4 can't use its "UK's biggest free streaming service" line any more, though chances are it would have been scrapped anyway with the name change (which seems to have gone quiet).
I think the problem with the name change is, it just makes it more difficult to know when they’re talking about the streaming service rather than the channel. 

They could say watch on ‘Channel 4 from 9pm Friday’ for an episode of Gogglebox, which would be the most elegant solution but that doesn’t really work for programmes that are being released in one go on the on demand service. And how do you advertise programmes on Channel 4 Extra (or whatever they call More 4)? ‘Watch from 9pm on Channel 4 Extra and on Channel 4’. 

Basically when they say ‘and watch on All 4’ it’s a few moments they remind people about the streaming service. They lose that simplicity with a ditching of the separate brand. 

I imagine they’ve been keeping eye on ITV’s approach to see how it works out. Which has a similar logic behind it but it executed totally differently.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • TJTSW

(13-04-2023, 08:01 PM)Jon Wrote:  
(13-04-2023, 01:08 PM)gottago Wrote:  Presumably this means All4 can't use its "UK's biggest free streaming service" line any more, though chances are it would have been scrapped anyway with the name change (which seems to have gone quiet).
I think the problem with the name change is, it just makes it more difficult to know when they’re talking about the streaming service rather than the channel. 

They could say watch on ‘Channel 4 from 9pm Friday’ for an episode of Gogglebox, which would be the most elegant solution but that doesn’t really work for programmes that are being released in one go on the on demand service. And how do you advertise programmes on Channel 4 Extra (or whatever they call More 4)? ‘Watch from 9pm on Channel 4 Extra and on Channel 4’. 

Basically when they say ‘and watch on All 4’ it’s a few moments they remind people about the streaming service. They lose that simplicity with a ditching of the separate brand. 

I imagine they’ve been keeping eye on ITV’s approach to see how it works out. Which has a similar logic behind it but it executed totally differently.

Think you're overthinking it - they'll simply say "Sunday at 9pm, or catch up online at any time." The whole point is that it unifies the brand - there's no longer a standalone Channel 4 on demand service as far as branding is considered.
[-] The following 1 user Likes strollfan's post:
  • London Lite

It is a dumb change. Next week for example Taskmaster isn't on C4 at 9pm on Thursday but it is available to watch on All4 at 9pm - but under this branding it's "Taskmaster isn't on Channel 4 at 9pm, but you can watch on Channel 4 at 9pm". It'll end up being called "Channel 4 On Demand" all the time to differentiate it.

Both ITVX and All4 now claim to be the biggest free service - C4 does have a page which verifies their claim (though I can't find it now - though it was channel4.com/verify). Interesting ITVX is bragging about being the 4th most "considered" streaming service rather than "watched" - maybe people consider watching but then find it still doesn't work for them. For me it still fails on a Firestick, is not available on my new (last year) Freeview Play box but works on my NOW TV Streaming stick bought a few years ago.

Wouldn't they just say "Watch on Channel 4 at 10 or on demand at 9"?

I think maybe saying that they're rebranding All4 to Channel 4 wasn't quite telling the truth (although that's probably the easiest way of describing it in a press release). I think the on demand service will essentially be nameless and you will just know where to go because ultimately you will see the C4 logo on your smart TV and know that the C4 show you saw advertised will be on there.

Essentially no different to when you miss something on Sky Max, you know where you're going when you want to watch it on demand on SkyQ, they don't need a separate name for their on demand section. I think it will all make a lot more sense and seem really obvious when you see it on air.
[-] The following 3 users Like gottago's post:
  • Jeff, strollfan, thePineapple

(14-04-2023, 02:29 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  It is a dumb change.  Next week for example Taskmaster isn't on C4 at 9pm on Thursday but it is available to watch on All4 at 9pm - but under this branding it's "Taskmaster isn't on Channel 4 at 9pm, but you can watch on Channel 4 at 9pm".    It'll end up being called "Channel 4 On Demand" all the time to differentiate it.

Alternatively, and this is vaguely how it will sound on air, "Taskmaster will be on Channel 4 at a later time of 10:30pm, but you can watch first online from 9pm." If the linear channel is mentioned, the audience will know that "online" refers to the Channel 4 website or the Channel 4 apps.
[-] The following 1 user Likes strollfan's post:
  • thePineapple

I could see them going "now on channel 4, {program description}, also available to watch at channel4.com or through the app" or on a trailer like "at X time on Channel 4 or watch on the website or through the app anytime".

Or they could brand it the same as a URL on the EPG e.g. channel4.tv (which does redirect to Channel4.com) a bit like the shopping channels used to.

but this thread is going off topic, there is a thread here - pres.cafe 

Seems AI is becoming a viable way of improving archive content that was recorded on video.

www.google.com 

Well, Space Precinct was shot on film, but the AI upscaling is presumably a lot easier and cheaper than going back to the original film and rescanning and reediting it (if the original film even still exists).

(15-04-2023, 01:05 PM)cable Wrote:  Seems AI is becoming a viable way of improving archive content that was recorded on video.

www.google.com 
Yes, there is some really good software around now that does that (Topaz AI being one such piece). Jamiroquai recently uploaded 4K 'remastered' versions of all their videos to YouTube, which I believe were done using such software. (Though it never looks quite as good as actually going back and rescanning the film... funny, that.)

So what's the difference between something like Topaz AI and just using some other computer software or some sort to crank up the sharpness? Videotape only has a limited resolution after all, its not like film where you can rescan to get a more detailed picture...

I mean I know there are probably solutions, after all the Wham Last Christmas video was "remastered" with (apparently) a whole reel of the original film having gone walkies and it had to have stuff done to it to hide the lower quality source as part of the remastering process.