A lot of it seems to be a combination of upscaling, colour grading and texture mapping. The video here before shows the difference - www.itv.com 

Of course nothing beats going back to the original negatives and a proper restoration. It was shot on Super16mm so I would imaging it would get a similar improvement to Inspector Morse, better but not as good as if it were 35mm. According to forum.blu-ray.com , potentially opening it up to 16:9 is available if they were to restore it properly, but all the effects would need to be redone. considering the expense that would entail and the percievable quality increase, this was probably the best people could hope for.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cable's post:
  • Kojak

(15-04-2023, 05:16 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  So what's the difference between something like Topaz AI and just using some other computer software or some sort to crank up the sharpness? Videotape only has a limited resolution after all, its not like film where you can rescan to get a more detailed picture...

Say its a face - normal resizing would scale upwards, smoothly scaling the features without jagged edges, but blurry. AI would recognise its a face, with features like circles, curves, arcs,, and redraw these 'cleanly', recreating the resolution. It's particularly good on geometric shapes like CGI and text as they can be recreated mathematically much better.Thats a terrible explanation. Of course it can't recreate the same effect as 35mm, but some things can be very convincing.

ITVX has hit 1 billion streams so far in 2023 www.prolificnorth.co.uk 

ITVX is quite good, the only thing that bugs me about it is, that if GMB / ITV News splits to the regional news, its always reverts to ITV London News, When have my postcode they know im logged in with my profile, surely by now ITV can make sure ITVX can split to my ITV Region?
I love the BBC Iplayer can show me Spotlight when it goes to the regional news on there!

Am I being silly or missed something so why it cant do that, the only reason I can think of is some regions have sub regions like where I live, (West Country -Devon & Cornwall), however hearing Bristol based news would be better than hearing news about London, which is like watching a repeat of the national news sometimes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes TJTSW's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy

(26-04-2023, 09:58 PM)TJTSW Wrote:  ITVX is quite good, the only thing that bugs me about it is, that if GMB / ITV News splits to the regional news, its always reverts to ITV London News, When have my postcode they know im logged in with my profile, surely by now ITV can make sure ITVX can split to my ITV Region?
I love the BBC Iplayer can show me Spotlight when it goes to the regional news on there!

Am I being silly or missed something so why it cant do that, the only reason I can think of is some regions have sub regions like where I live, (West Country -Devon & Cornwall), however hearing Bristol based news would be better than hearing news about London, which is like watching a repeat of the national news sometimes.
I'm sure I read something that suggested they would be launching regional variations this year. This article was not it but suggests it in the pipeline support.itv.com 

ITVX Help Wrote:Also, when watching the stream live on ITVX, you'll automatically be shown the News for London, as we're not currently able to detect where you're streaming from in the UK. However this is something we're looking into improving.
seeming as they ask for a postcode when you sign up, it seems strange they can''t already do this. It would also allow them to target customers ultra locally with advertising too! I'd image it would take the strain off the load balancers for a single ITV1 feed when there could be X regions made available. Besides, Geoblocking by IP would be done at a country level, not regionally.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cable's post:
  • TJTSW

I suspect the "we're not able to detect..." might be a bit of deflection. It's perhaps more likely that they simply haven't got around to creating streams of the regional feeds yet...?
[-] The following 2 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • Ma76, TJTSW

Thank you Both.

If iPlayer can do it and have done it for years im sure the ITVHub/ITVX could of done it back then.
Im guessing they thought Local news wouldnt matter and wasnt high on their list of things to do, and hoped if people were happy to watch London News, further on down the line when ITV wanted to save some more money, they could cut the regions a bit more and there wouldnt be as much as an up roar, that could be me just being sinical.

(26-04-2023, 10:55 PM)IanJRedman Wrote:  I suspect the "we're not able to detect..." might be a bit of deflection. It's perhaps more likely that they simply haven't got around to creating streams of the regional feeds yet...?

Exactly, that seems much more likely.

The whole thing about postcode during signup is/was primarily to enforce the ITV/STV split, but also a low-tech way of deterring signups from abroad working in combination with geo-blocking. They may well target adverts too, as adverts are not always part of the stream and often separate.

I imagine, with more people relying on these sorts of services as a full linear replacement, then ITV will have to follow the BBC and make full regional streams available.

Yes, still just one stream of ITV1 on ITVX. Also they are still to accommodate the regional news shows and non-news content from the regions.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • interestednovice, Ma76, UTVLifer

Given how ITV’s whole strategy now revolves around ITVX as its core product and its focus for the future, the idea that there are daily programmes that you can’t get via the service must be something they’re going to address soon.
[-] The following 2 users Like Spencer's post:
  • Brekkie, Ma76