Without turning it into a fantasy thread I wonder if they've got any plans to rebrand it with a BBC name which could potentially see them expanding outside just UK content a la BBC America.

(01-03-2024, 08:40 AM)nwtv2003 Wrote:  Not quite ITVX, but in some form related, whilst ITV has majority control of BritBox UK, BBC Studios now has full control of BritBox International.

x.com 

I believe ITV have full control of Britbox UK
[-] The following 4 users Like EJnutz's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, Jeff, nwtv2003, Stuart

The fact they're no longer in the same ownership explains ITV shutting down the standalone BritBox UK. No doubt it'll all just be branded as ITVX Premium, so the BritBox name will vanish from ITVX.

What's holding them back then?

Maybe the BBC don't want all of their content in an ITV badged service? So Britbox UK remains?

Does Britbox Intl have the same content as Britbox UK (or had)?

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...

(01-03-2024, 04:16 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  The fact they're no longer in the same ownership explains ITV shutting down the standalone BritBox UK. No doubt it'll all just be branded as ITVX Premium, so the BritBox name will vanish from ITVX.

the cost of maintaining the BritBox UK infrastructure including device support, servers, CDN and bandwidth costs are probably the main driver. ITVX was likely built on a much more modern tech stack.

(02-03-2024, 01:10 AM)AndrewP Wrote:  Does Britbox Intl have the same content as Britbox UK (or had)?

I believe in the USA and Australia there’s a lot more recent content such as that week’s Coronation Street and Emmerdale, but I would hazard a guess that more of the target audience (especially in Australia) are expats. I remember the USA version had Good Morning Britain for a while, not sure if that’s still the case.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nwtv2003's post:
  • AndrewP

Can't imagine that was well watched.

One issue BritBox has is the reality of drama production nowadays is so much of it is co-productions, so most the big UK dramas have funding in place from the international streamers. So many flagship BBC dramas especially are commissioned in association with Netflix or Amazon where the BBC get the UK rights and the streaming giants get worldwide rights, so there isn't much premium content for BritBox to pick up - and I would hope BBC Studios have seen how other media giants keeping content for their own streaming platforms hasn't turned out to be anywhere near as lucrative as selling them on.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • callumwatchestelly

An interesting analysis here on ITV's situation ahead of their results announcement on Thursday.

What junps out is that the sale of International BritBox brought in £255 million to ITV, which seems quite a lot for what it is.

www.theguardian.com 

To be fair ITVX has made much more of an impact than ITV Hub and BritBox and commissioned some generally excellent British content in genres ITV perhaps wouldn't have otherwise, noteably with comedy.

Fair to say it's been a much more successful relaunch in terms of public and industry perception at least than that of All4 to C4, so will be interesting to see if the figures tell the same story.
[-] The following 8 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, Jeff, Kunst, London Lite, Ma76, RhysJR, Stuart, UTVLifer