Should have SMTV on there too Wink
[-] The following 2 users Like James2001's post:
  • GMc, Ma76

(02-03-2023, 10:27 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Would be interesting to know how these FAST channels rate - suspect we're talking tens and hundreds rather than thousands or tens of thousands.
I think you're right - but they cost next to nothing to run, so what harm are they doing? It seems to be more so they can say 'look how many channels are on ITVX!'.

(03-03-2023, 08:45 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(02-03-2023, 10:27 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Would be interesting to know how these FAST channels rate - suspect we're talking tens and hundreds rather than thousands or tens of thousands.
I think you're right - but they cost next to nothing to run, so what harm are they doing? It seems to be more so they can say 'look how many channels are on ITVX!'.

1000 viewers on an online stream is worth roughly the same as 10,000  linear ITV2/3/4 viewers [majority dayparts]

Online video ads earn more than most linear broadcast ads CPT

Plus the content likely has lower use fees (repeat rights) than linear depending on era contract drafted 

Its why FAST channels are taking off massively for rights owners £££$$$€€€
[-] The following 6 users Like Stockland Hillman's post:
  • Brekkie, Jeff, Kojak, London Lite, Ma76, UTVLifer

(03-03-2023, 08:22 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Should have SMTV on there too Wink

Problem with that is that SMTV was considered an "incubator" program, a lot of children's shows were sort of that on Saturday mornings. So if this were to be possible, those cartoons and shows would have to be stripped down to nothing but the live-action host bits and that would be it.

However, on that point, makes me wonder if one of these days we end up with a "Old Skool" FAST channel with older CITV repeats, but I imagine that would be costly for what would be considered a fairly low-cost operation.

(04-03-2023, 04:16 AM)Allanbuzzy Wrote:  

Problem with that is that SMTV was considered an "incubator" program, a lot of children's shows were sort of that on Saturday mornings. So if this were to be possible, those cartoons and shows would have to be stripped down to nothing but the live-action host bits and that would be it.

However, on that point, makes me wonder if one of these days we end up with a "Old Skool" FAST channel with older CITV repeats, but I imagine that would be costly for what would be considered a fairly low-cost operation.

It must be remembered that some of this content has not ended up in ITV hands over the years, and some of the more high profile stuff and shows that ran for a very long time they would probably to have to buy for an Old Skool channel.

Assuming of course it was available to buy in the first place. The obvious examples here are most things TVS made (the two main exceptions CITV wise being Art Attack and Finders Keepers) though I note How 2's TVS years has managed to find its way onto Amazon Prime.

The Saturday morning shows, yeah we've been here before, it'll just be reduced to about 20 minutes of content and that'll be it. So take all the shows out, the "call us if you want to speak to <some music star was was hot property at the time>" stuff, anything else that you need to take out and the end result would be a very underwhelming experience.

That and the fact we proved a while back some of them were actually wiped and now only exist as off air recordings on YouTube, as anything useful would have been creamed off at the time.

Don’t know about Finders Keepers, but Disney own the rights to all of Art Attack now. Some years back the whole lot was remastered for a Chinese streaming service. Would be wonderful if they appeared on Disney+ at some point.

lol, I just listed Ant and Dec's current shows. Though SMTV would need trimming down to be repeated - stuff like the Pokemon and Sabrina related gags would lose their context as a result of them not being able to include the actual shows.

I often wonder why they don't (excuse the wording) challenge Challenge with a gameshow channel and raid their own archives. Or would they make more money just selling them to Challenge?

(04-03-2023, 02:57 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  I often wonder why they don't (excuse the wording) challenge Challenge with a gameshow channel and raid their own archives. Or would they make more money just selling them to Challenge?
Doesn’t seem to stop them having a The Chase channel, given that’s a significant chunk of Challenge’s output.

To be honest we didn't see TBS complaining either back in the days when Challenge were airing Takeshi's Castle ad-nauseam and for years later, although in fairness by the time they first picked that up it had been out of production for the best part of 15 years, but the edits had the effect of bringing the show to a much wider audience and its better known in its later edited incarnations than for the original format, which has a totally different feel about it.

Providing ITV are getting the money from Challenge (whether its for new episodes or relicensing the old ones), that's all they're fussed about. If they're happy to pay, I dare say ITV are happy to supply.