Red Nose Day

Surely they are an impulse buy and not something you'd particularly go out of your way to get on Amazon. I guess they are promoting them heavily when you checkout on an order?

Red Nose Day doesn't seem to be something that really resonates any more.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eyeTV's post:
  • DJ Dave

(03-03-2023, 07:03 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  Surely they are an impulse buy and not something you'd particularly go out of your way to get on Amazon.  I guess they are promoting them heavily when you checkout on an order?

No, not appearing on something I just randomly put together on Amazon checkout.

The official nose seems to be this cheap looking thing that is made of paper and will probably fall apart if you step out into the rain wearing it:
www.amazon.co.uk 

Might double up as a Christmas ornament in December but otherwise looks like a reject from an origami project.

(03-03-2023, 08:49 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  
(03-03-2023, 07:03 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  Surely they are an impulse buy and not something you'd particularly go out of your way to get on Amazon.  I guess they are promoting them heavily when you checkout on an order?

No, not appearing on something I just randomly put together on Amazon checkout.

The official nose seems to be this cheap looking thing that is made of paper and will probably fall apart if you step out into the rain wearing it:
www.amazon.co.uk 

Might double up as a Christmas ornament in December but otherwise looks like a reject from an Origami project.
I think it looks nice. Besides it’s not like you see people walking to the shops in them.

It was designed by Jony Ive who I believe knows a thing or two about design.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 3 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • cando, Ma76, UTVLifer

It’s a big shift only having one, as in recent years they have a set of noses, 6/8/10 per year to collect/to encourage you to buy more than 1 and hence donate more

I’m not sure they’ve worked as well as they used to since they were no longer allowed to make them out of plastic, they’ve been a cardboard type material recently.

In a wider sense, I get the feeling Red Nose Day isn’t cutting through with younger people anymore, do they even still do it at school? or even in work places for that matter?

In terms of the telethon, both this and Children in Need are getting increasingly undistinguishable. CIN was your middle of the road BBC faces linking a line up of BBC specials. Red Nose Day was edgy presenters, often not your usual BBC faces, linking anarchic material where anything could happen. These days Paddy McGuiness and Alesha Dixon could literally turn up and host either.
[-] The following 4 users Like Andrew's post:
  • bkman1990, DE88, Ma76, UTVLifer

I still have a 1999 nose in a drawer, I'll keep with that Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • DE88

(03-03-2023, 10:13 PM)Andrew Wrote:  It’s a big shift only having one, as in recent years they have a set of noses, 6/8/10 per year to collect/to encourage you to buy more than 1 and hence donate more

I’m not sure they’ve worked as well as they used to since they were no longer allowed to make them out of plastic, they’ve been a cardboard type material recently.

In a wider sense, I get the feeling Red Nose Day isn’t cutting through with younger people anymore, do they even still do it at school? or even in work places for that matter?

In terms of the telethon, both this and Children in Need are getting increasingly undistinguishable. CIN was your middle of the road BBC faces linking a line up of BBC specials. Red Nose Day was edgy presenters, often not your usual BBC faces, linking anarchic material where anything could happen. These days Paddy McGuiness and Alesha Dixon could literally turn up and host either.
Gone are the days of The League of Gentlemen doing skits about onanism in the Antarctic! I think Red Nose Day has gradually been fading away in wider society for a long time now - certainly for the past decade it seems to have been much less of a thing than it was up until, say, 2007. I wouldn’t be surprised if it is quietly axed before the end of this decade.

Scraping the barrel for comedy and not having a mainstream music show nowadays doesn't help and neither do celebrity editions of shows as those happen all the time anyway.

Have the BBC mentioned how what they have lined up this year is "special"?
[-] The following 5 users Like tellyblues's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, DE88, Ma76, UTVLifer

(03-03-2023, 12:51 PM)strollfan Wrote:  
(03-03-2023, 12:37 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Will they be able to show clips of Jack Dee? When Channel 4 did a show about past celeb BBs in the mid 00s, they were unable to show any footage of Jack Dee or Les Dennis because they refused to give permission. Quite awkward to do something on the first celeb BB when you can't show any footage of the winner. Maybe they've lightened up in the years since.
You'd imagine they'd view it differently for charity rather than a C4 filler programme.

No reason to think he will - Jack Dee (and Les Dennis from CBB2) have always blocked their footage being shown, and it's far more about protecting their reputation than C4 using it for filler.   Of course all that footage is out there anyway and neither did anything which would ruin their career all these years on - but guess they don't want to be defined by it.

(04-03-2023, 08:16 AM)tellyblues Wrote:  Scraping the barrel for comedy and not having a mainstream music show nowadays doesn't help and neither do celebrity editions of shows as those happen all the time anyway.

Have the BBC mentioned how what they have lined up this year is "special"?

Only thing I've seen is a Traitors special as part of the telethon itself featuring French and Saunders - not sure if it's a sketch or being played for real but for me although it's a format I'd rather they keep celebs away from it is something that could work played for laughs for Comic Relief.

As for the night itself - nothing of note mentioned.   The only comic sketch mentioned is from two people I've never heard of.

Quote:The UK’s biggest night of comedy and entertainment, with hilarious sketches, live performances, big surprises and stunning music acts, all to raise much-needed cash for good causes at home and across the world.
David Tennant is joined in the studio by Paddy McGuinness, Zoe Ball, Joel Dommett and AJ Odudu.
Comedians Flo and Joan perform their mischievous tribute to 35 years of Comic Relief. Oti Mabuse and Rylan Clark return after their epic battle against the elements in the Cairngorms. We celebrate the wonderful Gethin Jones, whose Strictly Fitness: Gethin Keeps Dancing challenge saw him dance for 24 hours with the help of some showbiz pals. And throughout the evening, a series of films highlight incredible and inspiring stories of the people supported by some of Comic Relief’s projects in the UK and around the world.

Donations can be made throughout the night by visiting bbc.co.uk/rednoseday or calling 03457 910 910. To donate five, 10, 20, 30, or 40 pounds, simply text the word FIVE, TEN, TWENTY, THIRTY or FORTY to 70702.

Red Nose Day doesn’t end there! Switch over to BBC Two at 10pm for When Comic Relief Did Big Brother (and it all really kicked off). It was eight days in the Big Brother house that had the nation hooked and changed reality TV forever. Red Nose Day 2023 then continues on BBC One after the News at Ten with Comic Relief: The Best of the Best Bits, featuring classic highlights from the last 35 years of Red Nose Day.

And on the Tuesday there is the footage of Rylan, Emma and Oti doing a challenge in Scotland - but for me that feels like a challenge for the sake of it rather than the big challenges they did in the early years of Sport Relief which were really taking celebs outside of their comfort zone.

Quote:Emma, Oti & Rylan’s Big Red Nose Day Challenge

To raise money for this year’s Red Nose Day, Emma Willis, Oti Mabuse and Rylan are taking on the unforgiving, subarctic terrain of the Cairngorm Mountains in the Scottish Highlands. It's a once in a lifetime challenge, taking place over three gruelling days and two freezing nights, and the trio need to adapt to the elements as they trek through this vast and sometimes dangerous landscape, before attempting to summit Cairn Gorm, the majestic and intimidating mountain that gives the area its name.

Embarking from the historic town of Braemar, the challenge begins with a hero's send off from locals and the King’s personal representative in Aberdeenshire, the Lord Lieutenant. Carrying heavy, energy-sapping backpacks that contain everything they need, Emma, Oti and Rylan leave the town and toilet facilities behind as they make their way into the wilderness, where the strong winds and steep ascents soon leave them wondering if they have bitten off more than they can chew. A night camping in the freezing rain leaves sleep-deprived Rylan the worse for wear, and after another day facing down the unrelenting elements, the trio arrive battered and bruised at their second camping site in the foothills of Cairn Gorm. Day three is meant to be their attempt on the summit, but the trio wake up to some shocking news.

The fact there is a shoehorned in Strictly item reinforces how it’s basically a very slightly funnier Children in Need now

Flo and Joan are those two who did Nationwide adverts a while ago