Red Nose Day

The Traitors is realistically one of those shows that could merge the public versions and celeb versions together without it really affecting the format that much. Can Gyles Brandreth work out if Brenda from the post office is a faithful or a traitor?
[-] The following 2 users Like Gary Baldy's post:
  • Tim G, UTVLifer

(04-03-2023, 09:44 PM)Andrew Wrote:  The fact there is a shoehorned in Strictly item reinforces how it’s basically a very slightly funnier Children in Need now
The trouble now is they play it straight - last year they just had Gio and Rose reprise a routine rather than do something intentionally funny for the night, which I'm sure both could have managed with ease.

Strictly's too good for that. Partly why it has lasted so long.

Isn't Comic Relief's telethon supposed to be about comedy? Hence the Comic in it's name? Strictly is not that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JAS84's post:
  • Brekkie

(05-03-2023, 11:50 AM)tellyblues Wrote:  Strictly's too good for that. Partly why it has lasted so long.
Hence why if it isn’t French and Saunders (or similar) doing a comedy dance routine, it should be nowhere near Comic Relief
[-] The following 1 user Likes Andrew's post:
  • Jon

(04-03-2023, 11:33 PM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  The Traitors is realistically one of those shows that could merge the public versions and celeb versions together without it really affecting the format that much. Can Gyles Brandreth work out if Brenda from the post office is a faithful or a traitor?

That was kind of the US version's format, albeit with people who were "celebrities" having being on other realilty shows.

(03-03-2023, 02:17 PM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  Comic Relief doesn’t seem to have much comedy these days, which is kind of vital to the show’s format. It’s indistinguishable from Children in Need at the moment.

I think it’s hard because there is not much mainstream comedy existing and less mainstream comedy is very risky for several reasons.

(06-03-2023, 12:41 AM)Newshound47 Wrote:  
(03-03-2023, 02:17 PM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  Comic Relief doesn’t seem to have much comedy these days, which is kind of vital to the show’s format. It’s indistinguishable from Children in Need at the moment.

I think it’s hard because there is not much mainstream comedy existing and less mainstream comedy is very risky for several reasons.
Yes, even Channel 4 plays it a bit safe these days- they’d rather invest in sex documentaries than any comedy.

And like you said, it’s not as risky possibly due to changing audience habits- maybe younger audiences get more offended today than they did back in the day. The “edgiest” comedy show C4 have now is The Last Leg and even then that feels really tired- a breath of fresh air when it came out, but gone on far too long now, and I think that was a bit edgy at the beginning but plays it somewhat too safe now.

Tried to find out the official single for this year. Apparently, this has been done away with. Yes, not been once since 2017 but still content for the night lost.
[-] The following 2 users Like tellyblues's post:
  • DE88, Ma76

(06-03-2023, 08:25 AM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  
(06-03-2023, 12:41 AM)Newshound47 Wrote:  I think it’s hard because there is not much mainstream comedy existing and less mainstream comedy is very risky for several reasons.
Yes, even Channel 4 plays it a bit safe these days- they’d rather invest in sex documentaries than any comedy.

And like you said, it’s not as risky possibly due to changing audience habits- maybe younger audiences get more offended today than they did back in the day. The “edgiest” comedy show C4 have now is The Last Leg and even then that feels really tired- a breath of fresh air when it came out, but gone on far too long now, and I think that was a bit edgy at the beginning but plays it somewhat too safe now.
Not just younger audiences but the BBC is reluctant to want to have lots of criticism from older audiences for airing something they see as offensive - a lot of edgy comedy was anti mainstream so more likely to offend that demographic than younger people.